PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The funny thing is that as you progress into more advanced diving you will need to start using tables again. Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures for tech diving is all about planning and using tables again.

Russ

If PADI should get rid of anything it's the Wheel. I hate that thing. I was required to learn it and own it for the IDC but seriously...

It's already gone, been replaced by the eRDPML. Though personally I find it faster and easier to plan multilevel dives using the good old RDP table, just applying the rules that are hardcoded into the eRDPML(about at which depth changes you can give yourself credit for the new depth, because you've switched controlling compartment).

If PADI should get rid of anything it's the Wheel.

You teach for padi yet post this? You do realise the wheel was removed nearly 18 months ago ?!

I was thinking about that too, he should really read those standards updates!

It's already gone, been replaced by the eRDPML.

Ikelite is building the underwater case for them, for release in July.

Ok, so I was apparently in one of the last classes that were taught tables exclusively by PADI. Personally, I like to plan my dive using the tables and then dive a computer. My question is: If you go completely computer, won't it be hard to plan the dive? I figure there are some high end computers that will allow you to get dive plan info prior to the dive, but if using a basic computer, you basically jump in and let the computer tell you what you can and can't do.

I'd like to be able to look at the dive beforehand and tell how long I'm going to have at each depth. Then use the computer to keep me on the plan once I get in.

Most computers ive seen have a basic planning mode, certainly NDL at certain depths if nothing else.

It seems to me that there are two distinct phases involved here -- planning and diving. I find the tables or, more exactly, an iPhone electronic version of the tables (for me), easiest to use for planning a dive and what-iffing the scenario. The computer, however, by doing constant modeling of the actual dive, can serve to maximize the dive since few dives are just a vanilla drop to depth, stay at depth, then ascent.

Locally, most dive boat dives are canned scenarios, especially if diving AL-80's. But, given the chance to do something different like larger tanks, more depth, a possible third dive, then going to the tables or the plan mode of the computer, if that's what works for you, is necessary to prevent having the computer surprise you with an ndl warning halfway through your tank.

As far as comments that you don't see people using the tables (which I don't here in South Florida) -- well, you won't see me referencing them either, since I do it at home before the dive.

Finally, I know some see this discussion as beating a dead horse, but given 59 pages of comments, there seems to be a lot of opinion. I think that's a good thing. As a relative minnow to diving, I see a lot of divers with a very casual attitude toward the sport. I am personally very cautious and enjoy taking it seriously and trying to think through various scenarios. A lot can be learned from discussions like this. Keep it up!

-Mike

Ikelite is building the underwater case for them, for release in July.

I heard the arm for a light option will be out in late July. Meanwhile, I hear rumor the eRDPML won't work under at a depth greater than 10M if you hold it a certain way, so I think I'll wait for the next generation....

(tongue firmly ensconced in cheek!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom