PADI training in Manhattan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gabru

New
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking to do the first part of my PADI training in a Manhattan pool (will do open water certification in Maldives)
I have discovered three different companies in Manhattan, Pan Aqua, Village Divers, and Adventure Scuba that provide the training
Can anyone help recommend one over the other?
Thanks in advance for your help

gabru,
welcome to this board.
there are many divers here from y'alls neck of the woods.
i'm sure they will post the info you have requested.
you could even do a search.
when you return from your trip, drop us a report and tell us your experience in the maldives.
regards,

Been lurking for months, finally registered for this thread.

My wife was certified with a now defunct agency fifteen years ago, and finally convinced me to get certified this last summer. We both did the PADI OW course through Pan Aqua (she wanted to take the course to get refreshed and to stop all the "what agency is this?" questions with her old C card).

We did the pool dives in NYC and the OW dives at Jack's Diving Locker in Hawaii (2 weeks of mostly diving in August). We bought all the equipment through Pan Aqua, so we just rent tanks and weights. Both shops were very good about a computer malfunction my wife had on a checkout dive - we both have Oceanic Pro Plus IIs. Hers just stopped working half way through each checkout dive (hanging on each safety stop mine was counting down the 3 monutes as it should and hers was timing a surface interval). That night the two shops communicated and the next day my wife had a brand new comupter, all equipment has worked flawlessly since then.

Anyway, we're doing Pan Aqua's Bonnaire trip in January and getting AOW and Nitrox through them on that trip.

Been very happy with Pan Aqua all around, they are nice people and even with the NYC cost of living and sales tax issues their prices were competitive, even with the internet, and the incident with my wife's computer showed me that buying stuff through a place you have a relationship with is worth it.

BTW, Hawaii was incredible, all the dives were great, especially the manta ray night dive, and a dive where a sea turtle took a real interest, it seems, in my wife's blond hair. She got chased around a bit.

I've never been to any of the shops, though I've done OW cert dives on a referral basis for Pan Aqua. From the skills of the divers I've seen, they do a good job on the classroom/confined water portion of OW. No clue on the other 2 shops.

I am currently doing my DM training with Pan Aqua and I highly recommend them. All the instuctors and staff are top-notch and very dedicated.

Cheers

p.s. will also be going to the Maldives (in a couple months).

I am currnently doing my OW training at Adventure SCUBA. It has been very good so far and the price is in the range for all the others. The didactic portion is done in one LONG evening, followed by two evenings of pool work. For the pool work it is just me and the instructor - very nice, one-on-one training. I don't think this is always the case, just happened that the nights I picked were slow. The pool is in Asphalt Green fitness complex - very nice size, 15 feet deep so you even get a chance to equilibrate your ears.
Gordon.

gabru:
Hi
I am looking to do the first part of my PADI training in a Manhattan pool (will do open water certification in Maldives)
I have discovered three different companies in Manhattan, Pan Aqua, Village Divers, and Adventure Scuba that provide the training
Can anyone help recommend one over the other?
Thanks in advance for your help

I lived in NY for most of my life.

Pan Aqua is one of the top operations in the country. In fact one of our very good friends just did her OW class with them and came out to us for her training dives and she was well trained. Other friends have been instructors with Pan Aqua for many years. You wont go wrong with P/A.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom