PADI vs. NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
The PADI RDP is fairly liberal with respect to NDLs, but they are extremely liberal with respect to repetitive diving. It's likely the man is not referring to NDLs when he says the tables are too "liberal with their time frames."

Hi Walter:

I'm reminded of what my "Mix" Instructor told me about deco "theory" and the various deco schedules

This might not be and exact quote, but,........"Just about anything "reasonable" will work".

Of course this was in the context of proper ascent procedures etc.

One look at the various schedules produced by the same deco program with varying levels of "Conservatism" would confirm this.

I can't imagine a "table", made and used for millions of Rec divers would be much different than the next, and would probably be fairly conservative at any rate. "Well in the green" if you chose to use "dive computer" language :)

It's funny, but the more familiar I am with the program I'm using, and the more profiles I run, the more I am inclined to agree with the above statement by my Instructor.

Steve

It may very well work. I don't believe anyone here said anything that would indicate it wouldn't work. Keep in mind, no table is 100% safe. The more conservative the table, the less chance of DCS. The more liberal the table, the greater the chance of DCS. There's always a chance. I like to keep my chances of DCS as low as possible, so when using a table, I'll use the most conservative table available. That's not the RDP. You feel free to use the RDP, I won't be offended.

Dive Source:
Just call me Mulder!

Actually I have seen some intersting Trolls around the board before and I just had to ask (hope I didn't offend you - not my intent).

Hey Brian, Nah.... no worries. Really, I thought it was great! Thanks for the invite I hope to get out that way very soon and I will definitely drop by for a visit on the way....besides, I'm in the market for some new gear!

cheers, Jeff.

Walter:
It may very well work. I don't believe anyone here said anything that would indicate it wouldn't work. Keep in mind, no table is 100% safe. The more conservative the table, the less chance of DCS. The more liberal the table, the greater the chance of DCS. There's always a chance. I like to keep my chances of DCS as low as possible, so when using a table, I'll use the most conservative table available. That's not the RDP. You feel free to use the RDP, I won't be offended.

No prob, but my point isn't so much WHICH table, but more-so how a diver chooses to do his "rolling deco" while ascending from whichever table he chooses to use. Basically the divers "actions" have more or less to do with a possible "hit" than just simple old "more conservative NDL's". This is why I had said earlier than the choice of a table, in and of itself is but a very small reason to be PRO or CON any agency.

I sometimes get "accused" of ascending too slow, which, while possible to be sure, I find that it is more "effective" than 30-60fpm from bottom to 15ft.

Regards

Steve

Just wanna make sure I'm not saying I'm the first to use such words, but I did want to emphasize certain wording.

"Ya know what I mean?"

Care to add anything to the discussion?

Maybe some NAUI table examples for a couple 2-3 dive profiles to illustrate the "perceived" difference?

Steve

You home now?

Scuba_Steve:
Care to add anything to the discussion?

Maybe some NAUI table examples for a couple 2-3 dive profiles to illustrate the "perceived" difference?

Steve

You home now?

Yuppers. Back home and getting all caught up on things.

Add anything...Hmm... Not really. I don't use computers, tables or pc planning software when I dive so I don't really have much interest in the issue to be honest. :D

d33ps1x:
Add anything...Hmm... Not really. I don't use computers, tables or pc planning software when I dive so I don't really have much interest in the issue to be honest. :D

Well, me neither for the most part, but that's never stopped either of us from wading in before.

Do you get bent as often as I do?

hehehehe, sorry, I was just thinking of a comment made to me a few days ago.

Good to see you made it home safely.

Steve

Scuba_Steve:
Well, me neither for the most part, but that's never stopped either of us from wading in before.

Do you get bent as often as I do?

hehehehe

Good to see you made it home safely.

Steve

Like Ralph from the Simpsons says, "It's burny and itchy!"

Scuba_Steve:
This is why I had said earlier than the choice of a table, in and of itself is but a very small reason to be PRO or CON any agency.

I completely agree. I avoid the RDP because I don't trust the table. The RDP has nothing to do with why I avoid PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom