PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleyx2

Reaction score
I am struggling trying to make the choice between getting a PADI or a SDI certification. I understand that PADI is maybe more recognized but is one actually a better class than the other. Thanks for any help.

Conventional wisdom around here is that it's the instructor that matters, not the agency. You'll also get some folks chiming in with various derisive acronyms for PADI, often involving money.

My personal experience was great with PADI, largely due to the instructor. My recommendation is to do something similar to what my wife and I did: find a highly-recommended local shop that does technical diving, and do your training through them, regardless of which agency issues the card. Do your checkout dives locally (assuming cold water) if you can, because it's much easier to learn to dive warm than cold, and that way you won't have to come back to get trained when you are bored in the months between vacations and want to dive the local quarry/river/shore.

--Ari

I understand that PADI is maybe more recognized but is one actually a better class than the other. Thanks for any help.

Nope.

I've seen a lot of discussion on ScubaBoard about this topic. I did my initial training/checkout dives at two PADI dive shops. However most of my training since then has been thru NAUI, including my AOW and Scuba Rescue. I feel that PADI's training material is quite a bit better than NAUI's. But my NAUI instructor is excellent, and that's why all of my training has been NAUI-based. The simple answer is that a great instructor make the agency choice almost irrelevant. Hope that helps! Good luck.

I am struggling trying to make the choice between getting a PADI or a SDI certification. I understand that PADI is maybe more recognized but is one actually a better class than the other. Thanks for any help.

Both PADI and SDI are members of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council - as a results they actually have the same core standards, skills etc.

There's a little bit of variation around that, but nothing that is really significant.

It's the delivery of the course that makes the difference, here it's not PADI or SDI.... but does this particular instructor have the right attitude for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom