Padi Wreck Diver manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeldonDowd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just read Padi's Wreck Diver manual because I saw it sitting on my brother's coffee table. I am wondering why it says, "your maximum distance from the surface when penetrating a wreck shouldn't exceed 130 feet. For example, if you're diving on a wreck 100 feet deep, you wouldn't go more than 30 feet into the wreck" (Padi Wreck Diver Manual page 36). All the other penetration limits given in the manual make since and give reasons for the limit but this one gives no explanation why it is imposed. Can anyone shed some light?

so you are not more than a total of 130` from the surface... 100 feet down...30 feet penetrated...

The depth limit for recreational dives is 130 feet from the surface. So if you are 30 feet into a wreck at a depth of 100 feet, you are 130 feet from the surface.

I understand that the rec depth limit is 130'. But I don't understand why there is a penatration limit imposed of 130' from surfacing. Is 130' just the distance someone has figured that a diver can swim while letting out a continueous stream of air?

130 feet from the surface was chosen by whatever secret committee you may attribute it to as the recreational limit for scuba diving.

That being said, 130 ft is 130 ft, so whether it is straight down or a combination of down and sideways, the bottom line is the furthest away from the salvation of the surface you would find yourself is 130 ft.

There is no magic in the number, but just like anywhere else in life, we need some rules to maintain some consistency for the masses.

Hope that helps!

"130 feet from the surface was chosen by whatever secret committee you may attribute it to as the recreational limit for scuba diving."

I like that!

One of the great mysteries of the diving life. You have a similar story located near you Jim, the "33" on the neck of every bottle of Rolling Rock beer. Many ideas, but no official answer, and trust me, as one who enjoys a RR from time to time, I have tried to find out, including going right to the brewery in Latrobe!

I think this is the original source of the 130 limit.

And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou dive to 130, no more, no less. 130 shall be the number thou shalt dive, and the number of the diving shall be 130. 140 shalt thou not dive, neither dive thou 120, excepting that thou then proceed to 130. 150 is right out.

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, no reason at all, kind of what I thought. And its been a while since I've had a Rolling Rock but if I remember correctly from our college days, the "33" refers to the number of Rolling Rocks you can drink before you pass out and someone draws obscenities on your face with a Sharpie. Pretty sure that is what it means anyway.

That is certainly one of the current theories but only applies to Rolling Rock Ponies, 7 oz of icy cold refreshment at a time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom