Padi Wreck Diver manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a single optional penetration on the last dive of the wreck diver course. It's hardly advocating penetration.

There's no way to teach effective wreck penetration within the structure and length of a PADI wreck diver course.

When I conduct these courses, I use that tiny opportunity as an example of what skills and training are needed for safe wreck penetration. I am pretty emphatic that it is an experience, not a qualification for penetration. If anything, it discourages students from further unsupervised wreck penetration until they have built their skill level up sufficiently.

However, not every wreck instructor teaches that way. Given that a PADI instructor can 'self-certify' as a wreck instructor, on the basis of having completed a few wreck dives at some point in their past.... that is hardly surprising!

I'd love to see wreck diving taken more seriously at a recreational level. It's shocking to see the different attitudes to cave and wreck diving, when the risks (and necessary skills and equipment) are actually so simular.

It's shocking to see the different attitudes to cave and wreck diving, when the risks (and necessary skills and equipment) are actually so simular.

I know it’s becoming OT now, sorry for that.

But what is shocking about that?
It’s not the only point at the border between Rec and Tec where PADI is not stringent.
What’s about ice diving? Is ice no overhead environment?
Or what’s about decompression diving? Why do they allow limited penetrations in wreck and cavern diving, but don’t allow moderate decompression diving, i.e. in a Rec Deep Diver Specialty which is worth it’s name?:headscratch:

Discover Deco Diving?

If you call the PADI Wreck Diver Specialty - Discover Wreck Diving, and the PADI Cavern Diver Specialty - Discover Cavern Diving. Yes, why not? :wink:
In fact they are something like that!:D

Everything else and more serious we should discuss in a separate thread, otherwise we would hijack this one finally.:coffee:

Trying to get this back on track :wink:

If you look through the PADI Wreck Diver manual... is there any content or skills that actually contribute to the capability to penetrate 30' into a wreck at 100'?

Seems odd to question the limitations, given the training given in the course..

Discover Deco Diving?

That is the pre-qualification for "Descover Body Recovery"

Discover Deco Diving?

Well, there is the 'Discover Tech' speciality now. This is for tech diving, as the DSD is to rec diving. It is all done in confined water... and intro to the kit and level of dive planning. It doesn't qualify or certify the student to do anything though.

There is no deco on any PADI course until you reach DSAT Tech 40 level. Therefore, no PADI diver should be doing deco until they reach that (or another agency equivalent) qualification level.

It'd be a good move if wreck penetration was taken out of the wreck diver course... and made into a 'discover overhead environments' or 'discover wreck penetration' type of course. That would also mean that a separate wreck penetration course was needed.

As an aside.. I believe that Cave diving is only held to higher standards because of the existence of highly accredited cave diving specific agencies... and because access to cave diving locations can be controlled.

In all other respects (certainly with comparable risk), wreck and ice diving should have simular restrictions. However, the lack of accredited activity-specific agencies and the inability to control access to wreck sites means that the agencies are not forced to apply such restrictions. Basically, it is a neglected area. If I was cynical, I'd say that PADI (and dive operators) put $$$'s before ethics in this instance.

Ok, the door has been opened again.:)

First of all it should be mentioned that “Discover Tech Diving” is not a PADI but a DSAT course.
And so we have another proof that PADI is not stringent.
As I see it, although neither PADI nor DSAT does offer wreck or cavern courses on technical level, the PADI Wreck and Cavern Specialty courses are designed as “Discovery Courses” for the respective topic. Their goal is to make students to want more and to continue their education into technical diving. And both courses are offered within the rec branch, while there is common agreement that real wreck and cave diving is technical diving.
But so far I can follow and understand PADI. If I want to make my customers “hungry” for more, it makes sense to keep the entrance threshold low.
What I don’t understand is why they are not stringent with the “Discover Tech Diving”?
While it is just “discovery” by name, I don’t understand why they don’t leave this “childs game” within the rec branch as well?
I don’t see any reason why to differentiate between these three courses with respect where the borderline between rec and tec is drawn. IMHO all three of them either should be rec courses, or all three of them should be tec courses, but not some so and some so.

The same is with ice diving and here I completely agree with Devon Diver. Ice diving should have similar restrictions as wreck diving. I don’t see any reason why ice diving is rec, while wreck diving is tec.

But I disagree with him with regards to the content of these courses.
IMHO wreck penetrations within the range it is allowed today, are acceptable for rec divers, as well as cavern penetrations as allowed in the cavern specialty or as well as diving under ice as taught in the PADI Ice Diver Specialty.

And because of this my opinion, I don’t understand as well, why PADI doesn’t teach decompression diving and allow it within defined limits as rec diving as well.
IMHO what they offer today as DSAT Tec 40 is simply nonsense as a tec course. For me it would make sense to combine this course with the existing PADI Deep Diver course and to sell it under that name as a PADI (rec) course. So this course would become worth its name as well.
Furthermore they should put the Tec45 and Tec50 together in one Tec Deep Diver course again, as it has been before and than things make sense.

Everything else is just because of $$$ IMHO!

As an aside.. I believe that Cave diving is only held to higher standards because of the existence of highly accredited cave diving specific agencies... and because access to cave diving locations can be controlled.

In all other respects (certainly with comparable risk), wreck and ice diving should have simular restrictions. However, the lack of accredited activity-specific agencies and the inability to control access to wreck sites means that the agencies are not forced to apply such restrictions. Basically, it is a neglected area. If I was cynical, I'd say that PADI (and dive operators) put $$$'s before ethics in this instance.

If a lot of caves where not located on either private or easily controlled land you would be lucky to get people to take any cave course much less cavern, intro, apprentice then cave. As long as anyone can pull their boat up to a wreck site and dive it you will not be able to force any wreck cert much less a multi step program. You will always have some people that will want to learn all they can and some that already think they know it all.

If a lot of caves where not located on either private or easily controlled land you would be lucky to get people to take any cave course much less cavern, intro, apprentice then cave. As long as anyone can pull their boat up to a wreck site and dive it you will not be able to force any wreck cert much less a multi step program.

Yes, very true. Raising the bar for wreck training would require a diving community consensus - including boat charters and scuba operations. It isn't going to happen, because it would cost them money.

You will always have some people that will want to learn all they can and some that already think they know it all.

Yes... and I think that the PADI Wreck and Ice courses contribute greatly to this misappreciation of personal capability. They should be clearer about the 'end product' of their training, but they aren't.

IMHO wreck penetrations within the range it is allowed today, are acceptable for rec divers, as well as cavern penetrations as allowed in the cavern specialty or as well as diving under ice as taught in the PADI Ice Diver Specialty.

I disagree. It's a blanket generalisation.

To say you can, or are qualified to, penetrate a wreck to XX metres is irresponsible. It pays no heed to the condition of the wreck or the necessity to conduct a risk assessment.

The trouble really emerges when we consider that PADI Wreck divers are not taught to complete an accurate and informed risk assessment of the wreck they are considering entering. For as long as there are no 'silt-out', 'lost-line', 'lost-buddy' or Air-Sharing Exit drills, then exactly how can a wreck diver appreciate the circumstances they are putting themselves into?

What I'd like to see is a more specific definition of what a wreck diver can and cannot do. As with cavern diving, Recreational divers should not penetrate beyond the 'light zone'. They should not pass through 'restrictions' (a size where two divers cannot exit side-by-side whilst comfortably sharing air). They should not enter silted areas. They should run a continous guide line to the entrance. etc

Given that a PADI diver can be 'wreck certified' upon completion of OW, AOW and Wreck (12 dives)... and may never have done an actual penetration, or touched a guideline, during their wreck training.... it seems absurd that they are unilaterally told they are 'qualified' to penetrate 100' into a wreck at 30' depth... or 30' into a wreck at 100' depth. It's absurd and dangerous.

And because of this my opinion, I don’t understand as well, why PADI doesn’t teach decompression diving and allow it within defined limits as rec diving as well.

Because recreational diving, according to the PADI (and many other agencies) is modelled upon direct, unimpeded access to the surface.

Yes, agencies like BSAC do allow limited deco diving within their mainstream scuba programs, but their training system is built to ensure that continual mentoring and progressive skills and experience development are achieved before this happens.

The BSAC '88 tables do include deco information, but it is a long process to get to the level where you can use that... and it is dependant on the diver's skill.

Also... I don't see the issue with differentiating PADI and DSAT. They are the same thing, the same organization... they just use a different name to help easily differentiate between the rec and tec realms. If you look at the logo in my signature line, you'll note that it is the 'PADI Tec Rec' program.

SSI do a simular thing with the TXR programme.

IMHO what they offer today as DSAT Tec 40 is simply nonsense as a tec course.

It equates to the technical 'Advanced Nitrox' course offered by the other agencies. It is primarily concerned with introducing new tech divers to the equipment and dive planning necessary, whilst recognizing their inexperience by applying a reasonable depth limitation. What it does achieve is the extension of bottom time, within the 40m range. That's a fair objective IMHO.

The (non-Trimix) DSAT courses did initially start as a 2-stage course. It was split into 3 sections to offer a comparable model to the training provided by other agencies (TDI, IANTD etc).. which served the additional benefit of breaking the course into stages and offering both students and instructors a flexible approach to their development. Many divers need time to reconcile and ingrain their training from one stage, before moving on to the next.

Of course, there's nothing to stop a student taking all 3 tec courses as a single program, if they chose to..

For me it would make sense to combine this course with the existing PADI Deep Diver course and to sell it under that name as a PADI (rec) course. So this course would become worth its name as well.

I don't see the need or logic to combine recreational deep diving with advanced nitrox/deco procedures. Bear in mind that that PADI Deep course uses 40m as an absolute maximum depth. It is mostly concerned with applying higher-level recreational diving skills, rather than being a 'license' to needlessly push the recreational diving limits. Students end the Deep course with a new skill-set and knowledge which benefits their diving in general.. and certainly makes their diving in the 20-30m range more safe and controlled.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom