PADI Wreck Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To continue the echos, the contents of the PADI wreck specialty really does depend on the instructor. If your instructor does tha bare minimum you'll come away with little more than an expensive cert card and the knowledge that you shouldn't touch unexploded munitions should you find any.

The advanced nitrox route mentioned above is the way to go if you're really serious.

However you go about learning to penetrate wrecks just make sure that the person who is teaching you has experience and knows what they're talking about. I've seen far too many people who think they can run off and penetrate wrecks left right and center without proper training because they have their PADI wreck diver card.

The thing to remember is that PADI's course limits the diver to staying within the light zone and/or 130 linear feet from the surface. If a diver stays within those limits, they should be OK. Should being the key word. :) If a diver wishes to go beyond that, then they need more advanced training. Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures is a good place to start. TDI also has a course called Advanced Wreck Diving.

Learning from a good instructor and starting out doing light wreck penetraion is a great start for someone who wants to have a long and safe shipwreck diving career.

One thing that hasn't been brought up, possibly consider this. The PADI wreck course is a good course for a beginner diver wanting to learn wreck diving. It isn't meant to be an advanced wreck diving/penetration course. A good wreck "program" could include PADI wreck and then transition to more advanced training. If I teach PADI wreck it includes penetration on the last dive, the student is INTRODUCED to reels, spools and line use, shooting a bag, slinging a stage/deco bottle, adv propulsion techniques, gear config, gas mgmt, lights, redundant equip., adv plannning, emerg. planning, etc. The next step could be as has been suggested, AdvNitrox, Deco, and I would suggest a well taught CAVERN class.

Funny that I stumbled across this thread b/c I took my PADI wreck specialty from M. Schlink in Bonaire a few years ago....

In talking with other divers who have had the specialty, it completely depends on the instructor and LOCATION! Here in central TX I've talked to people who took their wreck class on things I would not consider a wreck (small pontoon boats, flight simulators, etc). So, a good location is important for better training and an excellent experience. Next, I'll echo the comments on instructors. Find an instructor with real wreck experience. Any instructor can learn the fundamentals of teaching the specialty class but an instructor with actual experience and knowledge of wreck diving will truly enhance the class.

The major thing in my mind is location. Location can mean the difference between a 20ft fishing boat or a 230ft ship. You'll definately note the difference. The first time I saw the Hilma Hooker I was in awe of the size and structure. It took me a few minutes to comprehend what I was looking at as we swam towards her.... Ohhh, now I'm rambling.

Michael Schlink:
training. If I teach PADI wreck it includes penetration on the last dive, the student is INTRODUCED to reels, spools and line use, shooting a bag, slinging a stage/deco bottle, adv propulsion techniques, gear config, gas mgmt, lights, redundant equip., adv plannning, emerg. planning, etc.

How do you teach this? Do the students get to use reels and bags?

I let my students use reels and lift bags. On dive #3, the student is required to do some basic reel/line handling. I don't have the instructor manual in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that PADI doesn't require the student to learn to blow a bag.

Chad send me your new email

RedHead- I demonstrate proper tech. and then let the student "play". At the beginning level I don't expect them to perform flawless technique but they should be able to understand and recognize proper technique, then they are free to practice and perfect their skills.
I think PADI wreck can be a great "intro" course to wreck diving, a stepping stone. And if taught well can be alot of fun and worthwhile-Ask connellc

One thing to consider as well is what you intend to use the cert for AFTER the course. No matter how extensive your training is, when you show your PADI cert to a skipper after the class while looking to do some "serious" wreckdiving, a responsible op won´t let you get on the boat.

I think that the percieved value of a PADI wreck cert in the real world is pretty low so even if you´re taught the skills and master them most people won´t believe you have them anyway...as a "stepping stone", with the right instructor, I´m sure it can be a great class...

grazie42:
One thing to consider as well is what you intend to use the cert for AFTER the course. No matter how extensive your training is, when you show your PADI cert to a skipper after the class while looking to do some "serious" wreckdiving, a responsible op won´t let you get on the boat.

I think that the percieved value of a PADI wreck cert in the real world is pretty low so even if you´re taught the skills and master them most people won´t believe you have them anyway...as a "stepping stone", with the right instructor, I´m sure it can be a great class...

Then what qualifications are they looking for? Let's say I want to do an intermediate wreck in 80-110 fsw (or ffw for that matter) with very limited if any penetation. What qualifications is the skipper going to look for?

What about for an advanced wreck with penetration possible (within recreational limits) in 120 fsw?

I was over at Subic, Philippines a few weeks ago. It's known for the wrecks so I asked the instructor there about a wreck course. He suggested the PADI specialty, but after I realized what it would include and not include (no real penetration and dives only within rec limits), I asked about taking a technical wreck course instead for which I'm qualified. He insisted I'd have to take the PADI specialty first, so I decided to pass on the whole thing. After some contemplation I'm glad I did. I'd rather go directly to technical wreck, or if I wasn't tech certified, then I'd take one of the other wreck courses taught by IANTD or one of the other agencies. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are people who are right for the PADI wreck specialty and could learn a lot from it given the right instructor.

Back
Top Bottom