Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont see much here about PADI certification. Are they a thing of the past?

PADI is the largest certification agency in the world.

My wife is looking to certify. Which program is the best?

Best is a matter of opinion. I think you should follow the advice I give here.

scuga:
They are still around and may be the most recognized scuba certification agency worldwide.

That's a tad misleading. The other agencies are just as well recognized around the world. Regardless of which agency there will be no issues with recognition. Dive operators make their living by taking people to dive. They try to recognize every agency they can. If you show up with a card from "Fred's Diving" you may have a problem.

LIVES4SHARKS:
Before anyone goes crazy in this thread...please remember the TOS and that this is a flame free zone!

Maybe you jumped the gun a little. Just because some folks believe PADI has low standards is no reason to think they will jump in and start running PADI down. I think that is extremely unlikely to happen.

Certified in 1985 with PADI instructor. Dont see much here about PADI certification. Are they a thing of the past? My wife is looking to certify. Which program is the best?

I'd take a look at this:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

Also, since you were certified in 1985 and have less than 24 dives, I'd suggest you both take the class together. Although the physics hasn't changed, our understanding of it has, as have a number of the safety/emergency procedures. You and your wife need to be on the same page if either of you has a problem.

Terry

Certified in 1985 with PADI instructor. Dont see much here about PADI certification. Are they a thing of the past? My wife is looking to certify. Which program is the best?

The best certification program for your wife is one that is comprehensive, convenient, and affordable.

So, find a place close, that is within your budget, with an instructor that will give her the time and training to get her safely in the water with a scuba tank on her back.

I got certified over 20 years ago through YMCA but I have picked up certifications from PADI, SSI, and TDI along the way.

My girlfriend was recently certified via a PADI dive shop, she did her pool work and course up here in the Northeast, and we arrange her OW checkout dives through an instructor I met right here on this board.

ScubaBoard is an excellent place to find an instuctor and/or dive shop to work with.

same here,ie PADI & '85---wife, daughter & myself--------in fact my instructor has 'changed' over to SSI----it's all about the georgy(think greenbacks) thing......Also remember, it's not the agency, it's the instructor that is 'good(or best in your case).......

There has been alot of Agency bashing lately, and before anyone could add any comments that could be snarky, I thought I would nip that in the bud. My only intent was to keep this thread on tract early on. It was not directed at anyone. :)

Carolyn:shark2:

PADI is everywhere. They are still around and may be the most recognized scuba certification agency worldwide. I just did the PADI program and it was good, a lot depends on your instructor though.

As scuga said, a lot depends upon your instructor. I'd say 99% of it depends upon the instructor.

What kills me is the moderator obviously saw the Freds Diving bashing and did nothing! Had it been padi or something that post still wouldn't be there!

j/k j/k i kid i kid

Big Kiss scuga! Actually we had posted at the same time in the begining of the thread, your post just beat me to it. :wink: The whole goal here in Basic Scuba is to help the OP. :)

Carolyn:shark2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom