PADI's IDC Materials Requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
americanoregon:
... he says, the real reason is so that PADI can sell millions in books and shop owners can get their cut....

If you are a Dive Master (which you must be before you take the IDC) you can purchase your books directly from PADI, at a discounted rate.

This whole conversation sounds fishy to me. If I were you, I think I would shop for a different IDC.

Nomad:
If you are a Dive Master (which you must be before you take the IDC) you can purchase your books directly from PADI, at a discounted rate.

This whole conversation sounds fishy to me. If I were you, I think I would shop for a different IDC.

right on! fishy would be the nice term. on the other hand this "shopowner" might be just a typical example for the many morons, which run businesses in our industry. it seems there is an extreme pool of - to say it nicely - losers around and operating dive centers. what explains also the fairly high rate of business closures and sales. if i dont have the minimum abilities to operate a biz, i wouldnt try it! in diving it seems everybody who has not enough of an ego boost with a instr. card opens a dive shop and closes it shortly after again.

daniel f aleman:
by the way, it's not for you to determine what PADi requires...

What is with you? Right from the TOS
"While we encourage discussion about a wide range of subjects"

So there is a discussion about this topic, It seems completely legit. Are we supposed to check with you to determine if a topic is eligible for discussion on this board? I see you have quite a few posts in a couple of months, you seem to have an opnion about a lot of topics. May I suggest you take a few moments out of all your posting to read and think about other peoples point of view?

Show up with a fleet of books purchased from Ebay and other sources, so that you meet the requirements, but not from his shop, and then see what his reaction is.

That will tell you if the Padi standards or the shop owner's standards are taking the pole position.

Doctors, lawyers, and other professionals commonly keep a library of all the books that were required during their respective educations....Maybe its time for diving professionals to follow suit.

nauidiver2004:
What is with you? Right from the TOS
"While we encourage discussion about a wide range of subjects"

So there is a discussion about this topic, It seems completely legit. Are we supposed to check with you to determine if a topic is eligible for discussion on this board? I see you have quite a few posts in a couple of months, you seem to have an opnion about a lot of topics. May I suggest you take a few moments out of all your posting to read and think about other peoples point of view?

"PADI's Multi-Million Dollar Ripoff?"

Discussion is one thing. The thread starter's trashing of an agency in a 2000 word post (his first; who is he really?) on a public forum is all-but libel.

By the way, I'm NAUI 1973; and in between posting my opinions on diving I read dozens. I've even read some of yours...

americanoregon:
Anybody want to comment?

you want to take PADI IDC,

LDS owner says ...... ofcourse he has to say them else he may be screwed by "he said so...."

the key is comfortability. find an outfit that suits your need. and getting along with the people would certainly make the experience more pleasant and even less costly.... you know helping each other out...

There is no way that the required materials cost $2000. If you add up the prices on the PADI order form...it doesn't come out to anywhere near $2000. The dive center owner is not only misinformed...but he should not bite the hand that feeds him. If this dive center owner does not like the "PADI way" he should probably switch agencies himself. Why would he stay with PADI if he feels it encourages the "screwing" of his students. Perhaps he feels like a hero by helping students avoid being screwed.

Everyone should remember that the idea of becoming a PADI instructor is to teach using the PADI format and formula. Don't take the PADI training with the expectation of teaching NAUI's format or inventing your own format.

If you are going to teach the PADI way, then it is logical you would have the PADI references and props. Without these, you may be teaching, but you are not teaching the PADI way.

All of which brings me to a different issue: From what I can tell, one can't get air fills without a c-card. Is that by law or by virtue of agreements between shops and the various companies which call themselves "agencies"? (After all, they really are just owned businesses, in contrast to governmental agencies like the FAA and FCC.) Is there some law that only authorizes certain companies to issue c-cards? What is to stop me from starting "Bruce's Scuba School" and issuing c-cards and training people to be BSS instructors?

ItsBruce:
Is there some law that only authorizes certain companies to issue c-cards? What is to stop me from starting "Bruce's Scuba School" and issuing c-cards and training people to be BSS instructors?

$10,000,000 a year in liability inurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom