PADI's IDC Materials Requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post (even those of you who verbally kicked me in the safety sausage) because now I have enough info to form my own opinion instead of making assumptions based on the opinions of others. And thanks for the “welcome” message, L Orans.

Show up with a fleet of books purchased from Ebay and other sources, so that you meet the requirements, but not from his shop, and then see what his reaction is.

I think the shop owner WANTS his students to do that (as an alternative to borrowing his materials, which is how it was done before. Not the important ones like Instructor Manual and Wheel, and such, but the others like EFR videos and Business of Diving).

Doctors, lawyers, and other professionals commonly keep a library of all the books that were required during their respective educations....Maybe its time for diving professionals to follow suit.

This is different. But the American Medical Association does not mandate that all doctors, including ophthalmologists, buy expensive books on dermatology. And not every new lawyer is required to buy a complete Pacific Reporter to get a license to practice law. There is no regulation saying 10 layers in one office can’t share one, or that a lawyer can’t use the set at the library in order to save money.

If this dive center owner does not like the "PADI way" he should probably switch agencies himself. Why would he stay with PADI if he feels it encourages the "screwing" of his students.

That is exactly what he said he wants to do. But I am printing this entire discussion and mailing it to him. Maybe some of his info WAS wrong. (Although not by much, because I looked at the link to the PADI website, and the list there is pretty close to the one I saw before, except that it does not include EFR materials and a couple of other things.)
I looked at the list from the PADI website (below), and added the prices in Thai Baht. If you add it all up and covert to US Dollars (38 Baht to the Dollar), add in the cost of required EFR materials (10,000 Baht), it comes to $1050. Less than I had been told, but still a big pile of moolah.
What materials are needed?*
• PADI Instructor Manual 10,000 Baht
• Instructor Candidate Workbook 3000
• Open Water Lesson Planning Slate 600
• Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate 600
• Open Water Aquatic Cue Cards 1400
• Confined Water Aquatic Cue Cards 1800
• The Law and the Diving Professional 1500
• The Business of Diving 1400
• The Best of The Undersea Journal 1700
• Log Book
• Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Outline 700
• Project AWARE Specialty Program Instructor Outline 700
• Aware Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline 700
• Open Water Diver Manual 2000
• Recreational Dive Planner, The Wheel and table, and Instructions for Use Booklets
• Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet 400
• Adventures in Diving Manual 1500
• Rescue Diver Manual 1600
• Rescue Diver Final Exams Booklet 300
• Divemaster Manual 1500
• Divemaster Final Exams Booklet 400

My problem here is that PADI insists that I can’t use a blank slate and write on it what I want, that I must have their slates and cue cards, that I must buy Divemaster exams even if I don’t teach the class, that if two instructors teach a Divemaster class together, they must both have copies, etc. I think it is a decision for individuals to make as needed.

1. AGREE, MUST HAVE

* PADI Instructor Manual (well, obviously)

2. AGREE, MUST HAVE

* Instructor Candidate Workbook (makes sense)

3. AGREE, THIS SHOULD NOT BE A REQUIREMENT

* Open Water Lesson Planning Slate (a blank slate would do just as well - the outline is in various manuals)

4. AGREE, THIS SHOULD NOT BE A REQUIREMENT

* Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate (a blank slate would do just as well - the outline is in various manuals)

5. WHY NOT USE THOSE PROVIDED BY EMPLOYER, OR HAVE CHOICE TO CREATE OWN MATERIALS?

* Open Water Aquatic Cue Cards (ok, you will need them - or you plan just to teach aow and up, they come in pretty handy)

6. SAME THING HERE

* Confined Water Aquatic Cue Cards (ok, you will need them - or you plan just to teach aow and up, they come in pretty handy)

7. EXCELLENT POINT, WHY REQUIRE SAUDIS TO BUY THIS IF NOT JUST A MONEY GRAB?

* The Law and the Diving Professional (completely us-law based and therefore for many countries semi useless)

8. SO, IF I NEED IT I’LL GET IT WHEN I NEED IT, BUT A REQUIREMENT?

* The Business of Diving (you will use that once or twice during your idc - on the other hand it is pretty much nonsense - youre just doing your idc at this point! as for serious biz advice better works come to mind - some good examples on coursepricing and stuff, again if you plan to become an independent instr or open your own shop)

9. SO WHY CAN’T I DECIDE IF I WANT TO BUY IT< OR GET IT FROM THE LIBRARY ON THE OCCASSIONS I MIGHT NEED IT?

* The Best of The Undersea Journal (well i never really got the value of that - again barely touched during idc)

10. I HOPE PADI ISN”T SUGGESTING THE ONE I HAVE NOW ISN”T GOD ENOUGH AND THAT I MUST BUY A NEW ONE FROM THEM.

* Log Book (u should have that since your first cert! since min. requrements for the idc exist it is your "proof")

11. AGREE THAT I SHOULD KNOW WHAT I TEACH, BUT WHY NOT LET ME BUY THIS IF AND WHEN I TEACH IT?

* Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Outline (for this and the following two outlines - you are automatically a specialty instr for the 3 after your idc, so one could argue you should know what you teach)

12. SAME THING

* Project AWARE Specialty Program Instructor Outline

13.SAME THING

* Aware Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline

14. NO PROBLEM HERE

* Open Water Diver Manual (you should have that from your owd course - gets referenced a bit)

15. CAN’T ARGUE WITH THIS REQUIREMENT
* Recreational Dive Planner, The Wheel,table &Erdp, and Instructions for Use Booklets (beside reviews you will need them for your exams - the e-rdp makes no sense to me)

16. ALL OF THIS IS OFTEN MAITAINED BY EMPLOYERS AND MOST INSTRUCTORS DON”T NEED IT. THOSE WHO DO DON”T NEED A REGULATION TELLING THEM THEY DO.

* Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet (usually at shops - but anyway - u look at 5 bucks)
* Adventures in Diving Manual (same as owd)
* Rescue Diver Manual (same as owd)
* Rescue Diver Final Exams Booklet (same as owd exams)
* Divemaster Manual (same as owd)
* Divemaster Final Exams Booklet same as owd exams)

BuoyantC:
And to comment on brihno's post about Yscuba or NAUI standards, I'll stand by PADI's open water requirements anytime.

Dennis
Out of curiousity ... why?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - I changed the thread title to encourage a more constructive dialogue (this IS a reasonably good topic) ...

Re PADI bood requirements.

I am reading my friend's book "The Law and the Diving Professional." (I'm doing this in connection with an article I'm writing.) I highly recommend it. Especially for people who are seeking their instructor certification. I also recommend it for everyone else ... especially people who complain about lawyers and lawsuits and the legal system.

ItsBruce:
Re PADI bood requirements.

nah... it's more of America lawsuits business..... protecting yourself ,ok ok, protecting PADI from lawsuits.....

here in asia it's more of taking responsibility for your own personal safety, instead of blaming others for mishappenings.

americanoregon:
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post (even those of you who verbally kicked me in the safety sausage) because now I have enough info to form my own opinion instead of making assumptions based on the opinions of others.

Show up with a fleet of books purchased from Ebay and other sources, so that you meet the requirements, but not from his shop, and then see what his reaction is.

WAAH WAAH WAAH.

Plenty of other agencies, son.

Sorry for hijacking this thread...but if I'm not afraid of being sued if someone is injured, is there anything that stops me from starting my own certification agency to compete with PADI, NAUI, etc.? Can I issue c-cards that will enable people to buy air fills?

ItsBruce:
Sorry for hijacking this thread...but if I'm not afraid of being sued if someone is injured, is there anything that stops me from starting my own certification agency to compete with PADI, NAUI, etc.? Can I issue c-cards that will enable people to buy air fills?

No. And that's the point. A dive shop requires a c-card from an agency that the shop is affilated with, say NAUI. NAUI endemnifies the shop for recognising it's cardholders. Over the years several agencies recognised each others' cardholders and there-by endemnifying each other (first by validating each others' instruction programs, legally).

So, I have a dive shop affiliated with NAUI. If I give air to only NAUI c-card holders NAUI will insure me for liability. NAUI, then one day, recognises YMCA, PADI, IDEA, PDIC, SDI, CMAS, SDI and will insure me for liability if I only give air to cardholders from those listed as well.

I would not give air to anyone with, say, Joe Instructor agency because NAUI doesn't recognise their training and will not insure me or my shop for liability if I were to give air to Joe Instructor cardholders.

The whole thing is self-policing, which for the last 40 years has been the standard. And, for the longest time, one could not even buy "life-saving" equipment from a shop without a c-card (regs, tanks, and BCs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom