PADI's new Discover Nitrox cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If you haven't heard, PADI is coming out with a Discover Enriched Air Nitrox certification. Basically it allows someone to dive on nitrox < 32% with a nitrox certified instructor or DM. The only things the student has to do for this "cert" is to do the knowledge review and learn how to analyze the tank.

I don't want to start another PADI bashing thread. There are plenty of those on this board. What I'm curious to know is what do you, the diving community, think of this program? Is it good for the industry? What effect will it have on dive operators and LDSs?

Thanks.

I think its long past the time that we should stop considering Nitrox "voodoo mix".

It should be part of your OW cert and training, and the garbage about it being a "specialty" should go away.

Genesis:
I think its long past the time that we should stop considering Nitrox "voodoo mix".

It should be part of your OW cert and training, and the garbage about it being a "specialty" should go away.
Agreed, but thats not going to happen.

Genesis:

I don't know if I would make this part of the OW cert. There is a lot of thing that new divers have to learn to deal with, do you really want to add different gas blends to it.

I believe that OW divers should go out and dive for a while before they start adding thing to their skill set. They need to master buoyancy first which seems to be more important than figuring out what gas to take on a dive.

Scott M:
Agreed, but thats not going to happen.

And it shouldn't be part of OW. Nitrox is pretty pointless in the 0-60fsw range. However it probably should be a requirement for AOW. I would agree that mastering buoyancy control should go back into OW.

Diving Nitrox is pretty straightforward ... I don't see any problems with what they're doing as long as they're explaining the fundamentals of partial pressures, and what can happen if you exceed your MOD ... and by limiting the mix to EAN32 they're pretty much taking the risk out of that for recreational depths.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't see the need. I can fill tanks with nitrox and let anyone I want use it. If I'm questioned, all I have to do is flash my Nitrox Instructor card. What's the point? Why would someone pay for a card that allows them to pay to do something they can already pay to do?

As for including nitrox in OW, I wish standards would allow me to do so. I already cover 90% of the nitrox course in my OW class. Another 15 minutes in class, 2 more dives and they could get a Nitrox card in addition to their OW card.

Genesis,

I understand PADI's motivation. I just don't understand why anyone would do it.

chrpai:
And it shouldn't be part of OW.
I see no reason not to give at least a basic primer of Nitrox. I have a few dive friends that think of it as Genesis has stated as voodoo. It wasn't introduced therefore not of value.

chrpai:
Nitrox is pretty pointless in the 0-60fsw range.
How many actually stay above the 60' level? And there are still those that believe in it's value in reducing fatigue. (right or wrong many swear by this)

chrpai:
However it probably should be a requirement for AOW.
Agreed but up to the 40% at or before that point

chrpai:
I would agree that mastering buoyancy control should go back into OW.
Agreed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom