PADI's new Discover Nitrox cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai:
Lets say they put a nitrox primer in the course, would everyone read it and just yell at them saying it was in there for marketing to sell another course?
LOL, unfortunitily I'm sure that would be the case and not far from the truth of it.

Big-t-2538:
YEah...I don't see any other motivation what so ever...it is promoting more hand held diving and for nothing other than the benefit of a few extra dollars in someone's pocket.

It's a cheap way to introduce people to Nitrox who aren't sure they want to take it and I am sure once you take Disc. Nitrox you're halfway through Nitrox and it counts toward the full specialty.

Ben

OBG:

The course itself is cheap enough, plus if you're not sure about something as elementary as Nitrox, my thinking would be you wouldn't be sure about continuing to dive at all.

Nitrox is a given, and soon it looks like, so will trimix.

CHRpai:

I laugh because this has been an on-going joke at our shop for quite a while (years). The Discover Trimix thing, that is.

I secretly dive mix VERY occassionally (Just starting) (Hey, i do 90% rec dives with the wife, what can I say?), and no-one is the wiser as I have access to my own personal stash...........

Still darn expensive though :-(

jhnsndn:
If you haven't heard, PADI is coming out with a Discover Enriched Air Nitrox certification. Basically it allows someone to dive on nitrox < 32% with a nitrox certified instructor or DM. The only things the student has to do for this "cert" is to do the knowledge review and learn how to analyze the tank.

I don't want to start another PADI bashing thread. There are plenty of those on this board. What I'm curious to know is what do you, the diving community, think of this program? Is it good for the industry? What effect will it have on dive operators and LDSs?
Thanks.

As other members have pointed out many think of Nitrox as a mysterious vodoo blend. Perhaps this new cert will help demystify Nitrox. I have not researched the certification specifically. PADI trains the most divers so anything they introduce will be seen by a lot of people. Nitrox is a 'good thing' for many diving applications so I think increased awareness of the benefits and safety protocols for Nitrox would be good for the industry.

--Matt

Would like to do a nitrox course, with one agency or another, but wouldnt waste my money on this one. Its not a big mystery gas and is in fact one of the first specialities that was offered to my by my LDS that i often dive with. Might take them up on it some day soon when i have the cash.

Again, were talking about PADI divers here, and probably nwebies with 5 dives, who want to go do a dive on nitrox and not have to take a class first. Personally, I agree that nitrox should be part of BOW. Other than cost (and maybe availability), there is no reason for air in rec. limits.

Sorry, I disagree. A well-taught Basic Open Water course takes a student from zero knowledge base through an amazing variety of topics. (Key words here are well-taught.) I've never taken one of Walter's courses, however, I suspect it is well-taught. Ask Walter how many brand new topics he introduces in his BOW classroom.

For many new students, that array of information can be intimidating. Often they don't grasp all of it. Plus, they're anxious over mask clearing, etc. It takes time to digest it all. Adding more data to the data dump is unlikely to clarify any specific information presented.

I do agree that EAN should be part of any Advanced Open Water curriculum. I also agree that more emphasis on bouyancy and trim should be part of the BOW curriculum, still these are also things that take time to develop complete proficiency under open water conditions. I'm not sure that 4 dives will make the majority of new students completely proficient. Much depends on the student.

jviehe:
Again, were talking about PADI divers here, and probably nwebies with 5 dives, who want to go do a dive on nitrox and not have to take a class first. Personally, I agree that nitrox should be part of BOW. Other than cost (and maybe availability), there is no reason for air in rec. limits.
I am not that far off this position, i have only had 10 dives, this weekend will make 14, past PADI OW checkouts, as someone who has just "finished" training only a few months ago, i would say i am in the market for doing the discovery dive things with nitrox. However from being on here, reading many books on various aspects of diving and talking (phone, person, email) for many hours with various sources i feel i have booked learned a bunch, i have to dive a bunch more to really get it together, but in the meantime i wouldnt waste the money doing that, i would just go for nitrox full specialization.

DeepScuba:
OBG:

The course itself is cheap enough, plus if you're not sure about something as elementary as Nitrox, my thinking would be you wouldn't be sure about continuing to dive at all.

Nitrox is a given, and soon it looks like, so will trimix.

Chances are, and this is just a WAG, but in Gainesville, I bet a diver could sign up for the class, show up in the morning, do the required tests and skills then go make two Nitrox dives and still be well under $75, probably $50. It could be a great way to push those divers still on the fence who maybe don't quite understand the benefits of Nitrox.

Also, would be great for vacation divers.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom