Painted Your Fins ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAIBdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone painted the top of their fins white to use for white balancing ?

If successful what type of paint have you used.

So far I have tried a spray paint that said it was good for plastic, rubber, outdoor furniture. That didn't work too good. After 2 dives it began to chip.

I just re-painted with an epoxy for appliance touch-up. I'll test that next weekend.

It's such a PITA to try and hold a slate, camera, stay off the bottom Any other suggestions ?

NAIBDiver1

Has anyone painted the top of their fins white to use for white balancing ?

If successful what type of paint have you used.

So far I have tried a spray paint that said it was good for plastic, rubber, outdoor furniture. That didn't work too good. After 2 dives it began to chip.

I just re-painted with an epoxy for appliance touch-up. I'll test that next weekend.

It's such a PITA to try and hold a slate, camera, stay off the bottom Any other suggestions ?

NAIBDiver1

The only paint I can think of that may have a chance of working for any length of time is flexible bumper cover paint. You can probably find it at most large automotive retailers and it's designed to stand up to a certain degree of flexing. Whether it will stand up to the constant flexing fins go through I'm not sure.

Use white duct tape. It'll hold up to to salt water, cheap, no flex problems, and is a piece of pie to replace.

Ditto multiple strips of white elec. tape. Easier to remove too.

There are also white fins, you know. Don't recall mfg, but Google will find.

I used white spray paint for plastics. It has lasted almost two years, but it finally starter to break and fall.
Go five pages before in this same thread. for a solution that is working fine for me.
[I have used white stickers on the fins, but currents moved me away while doing the settings and not moving my fins. ..Manually holding the slate leave me only one hand to hold the cammera. ..So my best solution has been to add an adjustable arm to the housing, and once the balance is done I just swing the arm away. See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
/QUOTE]

Gull of Japan make fins in a range of solid colours, including white:
gul-dcgf223135_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom