Palau accommodation and dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btonthemove

Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted to visit Palau and have made the brave decision to go over the new year. Unfortunately I don't have any dive buddies with the funds to travel with me so will be going on my own. Can anyone recommend accomodation for location and social aspect? I was looking at the West Malakal or Coral Reef but as i've never been to Palau before I am not sure what these are like. I want something nice, safe and with a fridge and telly. Also, any views on the best dive operators or are they all similar?

double post

Last edited:
I can't help much with accommodation but I was there a couple weeks ago on the Aggressor and was diving with several people who have dove with land based operators before and it seemed the consensus for English friendly shops was split between "Sam's Tours" and "Fish and Fins".

I think there are several little reasonable hotels around where both those shops are and I know there is a popular foreigner bar near Fish and Fins which might be good for the social aspect. There are lots of restaurants and shops around this area too. You can stay a bit further away at some of the other resorts but if you find suitable accommodation on the end of the island (Koror) where the shops are I think that would be more convenient and you probably can get away with out needing transportation.

I would stay in West Malakal (cheap) and dive with Fish n Fins (who I have dived with twice & throughly recommend) or Sams (who many friends have recommended). West Malakal is walking distance to Sams and 5-10 minutes drive to FnF.

Around the hotel you have a reasonable Bistro next door, or Kramers bar 2 minutes away which is the best place I've found for westerners to drink and chill out. If you fancy eating at other places the town centre is only 5-10 minutes by cab and has a variety of reasonable restaurants (I recommmend the Taj especially).

If you want something more upmarket hotel wise let me know, there are nicer resorts but between diving, dinner and drinking I didn't see much point in paying extra for fancy hotel spa's or private beaches.

I can't help much with accommodation but I was there a couple weeks ago on the Aggressor and was diving with several people who have dove with land based operators before and it seemed the consensus for English friendly shops was split between "Sam's Tours" and "Fish and Fins".

Hey I was on the Aggressor two weeks ago too, who is this? :)

EDIT: don't worry, I figured it out! Nice to see you on Scubaboard!

I'd second West Malakal: a clean, basic hotel, and found Sam's to be a great operation.

Palau is a very safe place. Forget the telly - not much on TV: bring a good book if you want a quiet night.

Make sure you pop into Kramers - although its been a few years since I was there last (2004) their blackened sushi was one of the best fish dishes I've ever had, and its a great place to unwind after a great days diving.

Theres a few bars in town that have a great social scene...

Is Fish and Fins still owned by Seventh Day Adventists? (What that means is that one day a week someone else takes you out from the same spot).

What dates will you be there? I going over the holidays also. I been to Palau a few times.

Dale Still on a little rock in the Pacific next to a pineapple under the sea

Thanks so much to everyone for all the info. After deciding on the Malakal they tell me they don't have room! Urgh. Now looking at the Guest Lodge instead. They have room and were recommended on a blog I found.
Just want to get there now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom