Palau Advice? Dive Op, Where to Stay? Plus, 1 night in Guam!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
I have a trip to Palau booked with my girlfriend (non-diver). We'll be there 5 nights in the middle of July. I've discovered it's pretty damn expensive there! To stay and to dive as well. Anyway, I've searched a bit for lodging and reached out to several dive ops (only heard back from Palau Dive Adventures and Sam's Tours so far). Both are pretty expensive, but PDA more so.

1. We have a 20+ hour layover in Guam that we're pretty excited about. Anything we should try to squeeze in after a good night's sleep? :) Maybe it will just be a day at the beach for whatever hotel we pick...

2. Any suggestions on affordable lodging? G.A.U. Mechang Lagoon Resort looks best so far because it's reasonably priced (about $550 for 5 nights) and on the water - possibly decent for snorkeling right there? Anyone know if there are restaurants and a grocery store nearby? The bad part is it's on the East side of the island and apparently away from downtown, dive shops, etc.

3. Any suggestions for good dive ops - ideally with reasonable pricing? I've only talked with Palau Dive Adventures (pricey) and Sam's Tours (a little less pricey) so far...

4. I also wanted to consider a liveaboard for 2 or 3 nights, but the only options I saw are really long (like 7 nights). Are there some I'm missing?

5. If I dive 2 days, do you think I'd have much trouble getting to Blue Corner and German Channel dive sites (the two I'm most interested in)?

6. Any other tips? Must see / do while we're there? Ideas for me to do with my non-diver girlfriend?

7. Also, any concerns with safety here / leaving my girlfriend at the hotel while I'm diving?

Thanks for any suggestions you all may have!
--Kyle

2. I stayed at DW Motel: it was the cheapest option I could find. Don't expect many amenities (I didn't even have a TV in the room) but there's some sort of communal area with some books and japanese mangas and laundry, and it's in Koror centre. I liked it and will go back.
Palau isn't a place for beaches or overwater bungalows stuff: Palau Pacific Resort is expensive and have an artificial beach for example, don't bother trying to find an accomodation on the water IMO.

3. Sam's Tour is the cheapest among the big ones. There are maybe a couple which might be slightly cheaper (MAML divers maybe) but I'm not sure how much "traffic" they get and honestly you didn't go that far to be stuck with some divers with dubious skills... Fish 'n Fins is another reputable outfit but more expensive than Sam's. I went with Sam's and had a very good time.

4. Good luck. Palau is expensive and LoBs even more so. I didn't see any doing less than a week, but anyway the prices were too much for my blood.

5. Ask for it. Usually the two main diving areas are Ngemelis (Blue Corner, Blue Holes, Big Drop Off, New Drop Off and German channel close by) or Ulong (Ulong channel, Siaes corner, Siaes tunnel etc), I'm pretty sure you will get what you want. Personally I'd rate Ulong channel over any other dive I made except Sipadan :wink:

6. Palau is rich of activities over the water too: kayaking was amazing, I highly recommend that if you're into it. Doing a scenic flight over the Rock islands (Seventy islands in particular) was one of the highlights of my life. A day trip to the beautiful Kayengel atoll might be great if you want the classic pic on a stunning white-sand beach and turquoise water in the background. As far as I know, the world famous Jellyfish lake is still closed so no chance for the memorable snorkelling there. All these activities aren't that cheap though, on par with Palau's higher costs.

7. Zero concerns, Palau is safe.

Enjoy, I absolutely LOVED my time in Palau, I'd go back anytime but I'm waiting if Jellyfish lake will ever open again...

2. I stayed at DW Motel: it was the cheapest option I could find. Don't expect many amenities (I didn't even have a TV in the room) but there's some sort of communal area with some books and japanese mangas and laundry, and it's in Koror centre. I liked it and will go back.
Palau isn't a place for beaches or overwater bungalows stuff: Palau Pacific Resort is expensive and have an artificial beach for example, don't bother trying to find an accomodation on the water IMO.

Thanks for the great feedback! I think GAU Mechang Lagoon Resort might be the best option for us. It is on the water (maybe some decent snorkeling there) and still inexpensive - might be a nice, relaxing place with options like kitchenettes so we can cook. The only negative is that it's on the East side of the island.

3. Sam's Tour is the cheapest among the big ones. There are maybe a couple which might be slightly cheaper (MAML divers maybe) but I'm not sure how much "traffic" they get and honestly you didn't go that far to be stuck with some divers with dubious skills... Fish 'n Fins is another reputable outfit but more expensive than Sam's. I went with Sam's and had a very good time.

Well, MAML Divers just got back with me. They look quite a bit cheaper, and the reviews on Trip Advisor seem pretty good! They also seem to be flexible and less costly on other tours and options too. I'm still considering Sam's Tours - but I'm just not sure they're really worth the extra money after reading pretty good feedback on MAML too.

5. Ask for it. Usually the two main diving areas are Ngemelis (Blue Corner, Blue Holes, Big Drop Off, New Drop Off and German channel close by) or Ulong (Ulong channel, Siaes corner, Siaes tunnel etc), I'm pretty sure you will get what you want. Personally I'd rate Ulong channel over any other dive I made except Sipadan :wink:

Yay, I'm so excited! I'm going to Sipadan right after Palau (for 3 or 4 nights)!! :D I'm trying to squeeze in a Borneo rain forest tour while we're there - after the diving...

I'll have to look into the Ulong Channel dive too. What did you like about it?

6. Palau is rich of activities over the water too: kayaking was amazing, I highly recommend that if you're into it. Doing a scenic flight over the Rock islands (Seventy islands in particular) was one of the highlights of my life. A day trip to the beautiful Kayengel atoll might be great if you want the classic pic on a stunning white-sand beach and turquoise water in the background. As far as I know, the world famous Jellyfish lake is still closed so no chance for the memorable snorkelling there. All these activities aren't that cheap though, on par with Palau's higher costs.

Thanks for sharing! Kayaking and snorkeling in the rock islands is something we'll likely do. A scenic flight or helicopter would be awesome, but I think it might be out of our price range for this trip. :( We're doing 3 1/2 weeks total, so we have to be somewhat frugal. The cost I saw for a helicopter was $350 per person.
*Check that... After you suggested that I looked into it a bit more. Looks like we can do a scenic cessna flight for $180 per person. That might be worth it, thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'm really bummed about Jellyfish Lake being closed down. Hopefully it comes back soon!

Sea Passions is much more convenient and closer to dive shops. Walking to restaurants. I would contact a travel agent to see what is available and cost. Orbitz says sold out. We stayed at PPR for 1 week and then Sea Passions

Guam: have a meal at Chamorro Village downtown.

Sea Passions is much more convenient and closer to dive shops. Walking to restaurants. I would contact a travel agent to see what is available and cost. Orbitz says sold out. We stayed at PPR for 1 week and then Sea Passions

Hmm, I usually plan everything myself. Any suggestions on a travel agent that might be able to help with Palau? That might not be a bad idea. I also noticed that Sea Passions was sold out and thought that was odd. Thanks,
--Kyle

Thanks for the great feedback! I think GAU Mechang Lagoon Resort might be the best option for us. It is on the water (maybe some decent snorkeling there) and still inexpensive - might be a nice, relaxing place with options like kitchenettes so we can cook. The only negative is that it's on the East side of the island.

There is no public transport in the island. You might be stuck where you are if out of the center, which isn't a great option.

Well, MAML Divers just got back with me. They look quite a bit cheaper, and the reviews on Trip Advisor seem pretty good! They also seem to be flexible and less costly on other tours and options too. I'm still considering Sam's Tours - but I'm just not sure they're really worth the extra money after reading pretty good feedback on MAML too.

Fair enough.

I'll have to look into the Ulong Channel dive too. What did you like about it?

Concentration of fishes in the lettuce coral carpet, landscape, overall feeling. I'm not crazy about "big stuff", mind you.

Thanks for sharing! Kayaking and snorkeling in the rock islands is something we'll likely do. A scenic flight or helicopter would be awesome, but I think it might be out of our price range for this trip. :( We're doing 3 1/2 weeks total, so we have to be somewhat frugal. The cost I saw for a helicopter was $350 per person.
*Check that... After you suggested that I looked into it a bit more. Looks like we can do a scenic cessna flight for $180 per person. That might be worth it, thanks for the suggestion. :)

I went for the cessna scenic flight with doors open too of course, helicopter was more expensive and probably not much difference. Used Smile Air, they have an early morning flight which was as I said one of the best things I've done ever, but be sure to include the more expensive tour over the Seventy Islands as well. There's another option as well but I don't remember their name.

There is no public transport in the island. You might be stuck where you are if out of the center, which isn't a great option.

Good point. We might also consider splitting time between two different places so we get to have a chance at being in town a bit too.

Concentration of fishes in the lettuce coral carpet, landscape, overall feeling. I'm not crazy about "big stuff", mind you.

Great! I do like the big stuff, but really I more like you and love seeing a beautiful reef and the littler critters too.

Used Smile Air, they have an early morning flight which was as I said one of the best things I've done ever, but be sure to include the more expensive tour over the Seventy Islands as well. There's another option as well but I don't remember their name.

Awesome! I looked them up and they're actually cheaper. There's an option for $120, although the $180 option sounds like we'd get to see quite a bit more. Again, thanks for the great ideas. Probably wouldn't have flown over the islands if not for your suggestions. :)
--Kyle

LoB is the only way to dive Palau.
Dived with Sams on my first visit to Palau. No issue with the operator whatsoever but I really hate the long daily transfer between the hotel and the dive sites. The boat was fast so was the resulting bump and splash. Had to wear my mask and facing the stern most of the time.
The LoB that I joined was a lot more civilized and enjoyable. It is a lot more expensive but well worth it.
Not diving Peleliu is a crime but the journey is brutal if on day boat.

Hmm, I usually plan everything myself. Any suggestions on a travel agent that might be able to help with Palau? That might not be a bad idea. I also noticed that Sea Passions was sold out and thought that was odd. Thanks,
--Kyle
Travel Specials | MDA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom