Palau Advice? Dive Op, Where to Stay? Plus, 1 night in Guam!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoB is the only way to dive Palau.
Dived with Sams on my first visit to Palau. No issue with the operator whatsoever but I really hate the long daily transfer between the hotel and the dive sites. The boat was fast so was the resulting bump and splash. Had to wear my mask and facing the stern most of the time.
The LoB that I joined was a lot more civilized and enjoyable. It is a lot more expensive but well worth it.
Not diving Peleliu is a crime but the journey is brutal if on day boat.

I did the "day trip" to Peleliu and I had a lot of worse journeys in my life. What I'd call brutal is the seasickness I got on a LoB actually, that's why I'm glad Palau is a superb diving destination even from land, unlike others. :wink:

the palau aggressor was very stable. hardly any motion at all, even that one stormy day at peleliu. the food was better than what you could find in town too. only downside for the trip was having to fly united to palau.

OP, i would look at palau plantation resort, it would be closer to town.

LoB is the only way to dive Palau.
The LoB that I joined was a lot more civilized and enjoyable. It is a lot more expensive but well worth it.
Not diving Peleliu is a crime but the journey is brutal if on day boat.

Well 7+ nights is the only option for LoB, and not all of us can afford that (and my flights are already booked). Plus, with my girlfriend being a non-diver, a long liveaboard would not be an option. For me, diving a couple days is sufficient (and I can't afford a week of diving in a pricey place like this either).

Thanks, I'm considering them too. Or more likely Palau Hotel. Cheap and right in town. Just not the nicest place around. Cheers,
--Kyle

Well 7+ nights is the only option for LoB, and not all of us can afford that (and my flights are already booked). Plus, with my girlfriend being a non-diver, a long liveaboard would not be an option. For me, diving a couple days is sufficient (and I can't afford a week of diving in a pricey place like this eithe
For next time, a LoB option WITH your non-diving girlfriend, most of the LoB's in Palau have at least snorkeling and kayaking for her to enjoy the unique and beautiful topside scenery of the Rock Islands. . .

Palau Dive Adventures won't be the least expensive, but they are without doubt the best dive operator we've ever been with anywhere. And they are really good at finding very economical lodging

One of the things we enjoy most about diving Palau is the ride out and back through the rock islands. They are spectacular

If conditions are at all rough, you won't get any place on a liveaboard that you would get to from land. Especially if your girlfriend is a non-diver, she might be miserable on a dive boat and pass that on to you! If you're leaving her all day to go diving, at least take her out some place in Koror for dinner

If you're only diving for 2 days, and since July is the rainy time of the year, there is no guarantee which sites you will get to. PDA typically does 5 days of diving, 3 dives a day, and hits all the highlight sites, but they're pretty conservative about when they go where, depending on conditions, currents, etc to make sure everyone has a good time. Weather matters!

Other things to do - rent a car and see other parts of the island(s), the flightseeing trip is great, the waterfall, old stone carvings like a mini-Stonehenge, jungle river cruise, ATV excursion.

More concerns for your safety than your girlfriend's if you leave her alone all day at the hotel every day. She might want to kill you when you get back from a great day of diving and she's bored out of her mind

More concerns for your safety than your girlfriend's if you leave her alone all day at the hotel every day. She might want to kill you when you get back from a great day of diving and she's bored out of her mind
@kyley since you're going land-based dive-ops with budget inexpensive lodging, my best advice for you and your non-diving girlfriend while you're out diving the whole day is to at least get her a day pass to the Palau Pacific Resort. It's expensive, but it's also the best five star private beach and snorkel-Scuba resort reef in the Koror/Arakebesang/Malakal area.

Another fun excursion tip for you and your girlfriend to inquire about: Have the dive-ops (Sam's or PDA or whichever land-based dive-op you choose) drop you and your girlfriend off for one afternoon/evening/night together by yourselves, secluded on one of the Rock Islands -all you'll need are hammocks or one big double hammock (with mosquito netting if needed), picnic dinner and extra water- with pick-up in the morning. If SamsTours dive-ops is still offering these couples' excursion getaways, recommend doing it during the middle of the week -NOT on a weekend where the native Palauans show up to camp on the Island with power generators running a sound & light dance party all night long (!). . .

Last edited:
Diving on the cheap is not always a good option (as I've found out on a few backpacking/diving trips). You often get what you pay for and sometimes safety is not part of the package. With that said, I think you'll find most of the Palau dive operators to be pretty good since that is a large part of the tourism base.

My favorite is Palau Dive Adventures (We offer small, flexible flawlessly organized dive adventures in Palau!). They were recommended to me by friends and I thoroughly enjoyed diving with them. They offer valet diving and take care of your gear... and definitely take care of their divers. They are land-based, but I enjoyed the trips out to the dive sites in their boat. I also enjoyed staying on land so I could experience some of the local culture. They also took us to some interesting dive sites that the LOBs do not go to.

As for accommodations, I only stayed in one place (Palau Paradise Hotel) and found it very clean and reasonably priced. One couple diving with us stayed at DW and were happy with it (they were backpackers).

You won't regret going to Palau even if you have to spend a little extra. I've dived many places around the world and it was some of the very best diving I've done in my 56 years on SCUBA.

the palau aggressor was very stable. hardly any motion at all, even that one stormy day at peleliu. the food was better than what you could find in town too. only downside for the trip was having to fly united to palau.

+1 for Palau Aggressor.

@kyley, check out this thread: December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report It mentioned about Ulong Channel.

Other things to do - rent a car and see other parts of the island(s), the flightseeing trip is great, the waterfall, old stone carvings like a mini-Stonehenge, jungle river cruise, ATV excursion.

Great tips, thanks. And yeah, I hate abandoning her. If only I could get her to dive! :) I think I'm going to dive 2 days and take her with me on the boat one day to snorkel.

@kyley ...get her a day pass to the Palau Pacific Resort. It's expensive, but it's also the best five star private beach and snorkel-Scuba resort reef in the Koror/Arakebesang/Malakal area.

Another fun excursion tip for you and your girlfriend to inquire about: Have the dive-ops (Sam's or PDA or whichever land-based dive-op you choose) drop you and your girlfriend off for one afternoon/evening/night together by yourselves, secluded on one of the Rock Islands -all you'll need are hammocks or one big double hammock (with mosquito netting if needed), picnic dinner and extra water- with pick-up in the morning. If SamsTours dive-ops is still offering these couples' excursion getaways, recommend doing it during the middle of the week -NOT on a weekend where the native Palauans show up to camp on the Island with power generators running a sound & light dance party all night long (!). . .

Thanks! I'll check into the day pass idea. She'd hate the camping idea though.

Diving on the cheap is not always a good option (as I've found out on a few backpacking/diving trips). You often get what you pay for and sometimes safety is not part of the package. With that said, I think you'll find most of the Palau dive operators to be pretty good since that is a large part of the tourism base.

You won't regret going to Palau even if you have to spend a little extra. I've dived many places around the world and it was some of the very best diving I've done in my 56 years on SCUBA.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about quality of equipment and dive guides. But I've read pretty good reviews of MAML Divers too. Glad to hear Palau is worth the expense! :)

@kyley, check out this thread: December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report It mentioned about Ulong Channel.

Thanks for sharing!
--Kyle

MAML divers from what I remember has primarily Japanese clientele. That's okay and fine, they are a good operation.

The larger and older dive-ops like Sam's, Fish n' Fins, Neco Marine -all have a more eclectic group and mix of divers to meet from the Americas, Europe, and Asia. The outdoor bar and grill at either SamsTours or Neco Marine (The Drop-Off), or at Kramer's Restaurant are my favorite informal fun places to meet other people from all over the world of diving.

Again I know you're on a budget @kyley, but the best way for land-based dive-ops and accommodations is to get lodging on Malakal (West Plaza Hotel -Malakal, Sea Passion Hotel etc); you are within walking distance to all three major dive-ops and eateries mentioned in the paragraph above. The most frustrating waste of time is waiting for van or boat pick-up/drop-off to and from your dive-ops & hotel, as well as being stuck in morning or afternoon traffic.

For example, from the Sea Passion Hotel I would walk a short 5 minutes to SamsTours first thing in the morning 730am as they're opening to check-in, leisurely set-up my dive gear on the assigned boat, analyze my Nitrox; and then eat an easy breakfast at the bar & grill as I watch the hustle & bustle rush of divers arriving by van pick-up from their hotels in downtown Koror.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom