Palau Aggressor II vs. Mermaid II (Komodo) in September - First liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Komodo is certainly amazing. My wife had about 70 dives when we went there, with a good guide we didn't find that the currents were unsafe. Just pay attention during briefings and follow your dive guide.

If you're taking a boat that leaves from Bali (Mermaid) then it's relatively easy to get to for a destination that's on the other side of the world. We took Qatar Airlines from Dulles, the flights were long but connections were convenient.

I've been to Komodo 3x & went with Mermaid I from Bali to Komodo once. It's still my best liveaboard experience. Great diving & great food.

Since I have never been to Palau, I wanted to check it off from my bucket list this year. So I booked it for December with Palau Aggressor II to take advantage of their $500 discount if you book it by Jan 15. I'll have a personal comparative experience between Palau & Komodo by then.

Flight wise, roundtrip from Houston to Denpasar, Bali, will cost $688 using Singapore Airlines. I just bought it for my November Crossing trip from Ambon to Sorong, passing Banda Sea & Raja Ampat. I'm still waiting for United Airlines to have the flights available for the December trip to Palau. So far it'll cost me about $1550, flying through either Tokyo & Guam or Hawaii & Guam. I'll find out more in a few weeks. Flight time to Indonesia vs Palau, would be about the same. However, from the flight fare, it'll cost me more than twice to go to Palau. So, I plan to use my frequent flyer mileage for that flight to Palau.

Last edited:
Dan, we did Bali to Komodo liveaboard which worked out great (Komodo Dancer), but I thought most of the boats left from Labuan (word/sp?) which would require another flight. Not a long and very expensive flight but technically one more + some expense?

That $700 vs $1500+ comparison is the main reason we haven't been back to Palau. Boat costs the same, pretty much, all over the world. It's the flight cost that makes the difference. Palau is incredible and beautiful place and I would return in a heartbeat but Indonesia has a lot of land critters and culture to see too.

Getting to Palau and Bali will be about same travel time but anywhere else in Indonesia will add quite a few hours. I'd think the Tokyo route would be longer. Over 6 hours gets to be a bummer on the behinder. :)

Dan, we did Bali to Komodo liveaboard which worked out great (Komodo Dancer), but I thought most of the boats left from Labuan (word/sp?) which would require another flight. Not a long and very expensive flight but technically one more + some expense?

That $700 vs $1500+ comparison is the main reason we haven't been back to Palau. Boat costs the same, pretty much, all over the world. It's the flight cost that makes the difference. Palau is incredible and beautiful place and I would return in a heartbeat but Indonesia has a lot of land critters and culture to see too.

Getting to Palau and Bali will be about same travel time but anywhere else in Indonesia will add quite a few hours. I'd think the Tokyo route would be longer. Over 6 hours gets to be a bummer on the behinder. :)

I went with Mermaid I from Benoa (south of Kuta beach ~ 1 hour drive from Denpasar), Bali to Komodo & back to Benoa.

I don't know about Komodo Dancer route. Being a Phinisi slow wooden-boat, it could be doing a one way crossing sail from Labuan Bajo to Benoa, instead of a roundtrip cruise by the fast metal-boat of Mermaid I. Basically, Mermaid I can do 2 crossing trip of the Komodo Dancer in 10-day diving cruise.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom