Palau as newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reem0910

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I got our open water certification in August 2018, and we have been on about 15 dives since then (most recently, a month ago). We've heard Palau is awesome, and admittedly without much research, booked a dive trip there (booked a few months ago, when we thought we would have time to get Advanced OW and Nitrox, but we haven't...). Now that the trip is close, I've started doing research, and have thoroughly freaked myself out. Are we going to be in over our heads? Are there any good beginner dive sites in Palau? Where should we definitely not dive? Is everyone on our boat going to hate us because we booked a trip for advanced divers? :p We are diving with Fish N Fins, and they told me that I could get a private guide, would that be worth it?

My husband and I got our open water certification in August 2018, and we have been on about 15 dives since then (most recently, a month ago). We've heard Palau is awesome, and admittedly without much research, booked a dive trip there (booked a few months ago, when we thought we would have time to get Advanced OW and Nitrox, but we haven't...). Now that the trip is close, I've started doing research, and have thoroughly freaked myself out. Are we going to be in over our heads? Are there any good beginner dive sites in Palau? Where should we definitely not dive? Is everyone on our boat going to hate us because we booked a trip for advanced divers? :p We are diving with Fish N Fins, and they told me that I could get a private guide, would that be worth it?

There definitely are good beginner sites. Most aren't bad except for blue corner and peleliu express/cut and those only when the current is running. talk to the shop, they can take you to some good sites that have usually calmer currents like german channel or ulong channel if you still want a drift dive. or hit up big drop off or ngedebus garden for spots with usually little current. I personally like sandy paradise and saies corner a lot and they aren't too bad either for new divers, just a tad on the deeper side.

Relax, you will be fine. I first dove Palau in 1981with Fish N Fins (then owned by Francis Toribiong and his wife Susan). I lived in Guam for a year in 1988/89, divemastered Japanese honeymooners on weekends there and dove Palau quite a bit when I could catch a ride on a transport. There are a few sites with current but tons of sites that are beautiful easy spectacular dives. Always explain your experience level and any concerns to your dive operation. A guide is great and always an option. Its a personal choice. Get one for a day or so and see how you do.

As long as you are comfortable in the water you will do great. I guarantee that after a week or so of diving all day every day you will return home with more confidence than you ever knew you could have. Have a terrific trip and report back with pics.

My 2psi, Mark

Thank you for all of your input - I feel much better now! We are both quite comfortable in the water. We were so excited but then I started reading threads like that one mentioned above and started wondering if I had done something stupid by booking us a trip there. we are trying to take advantage of living in the middle of the Pacific while we can!

My wife is a nervous diver and doesn't like deep dives but she loves Palau. You will have a great time! There are only a couple that are deep and a lot of the land based operations don't go to those often and even if they do there is a shallower option.

While you live in Guam take as much time as you can to dive all of Micronesia. I did and have great memories. Even met a guy on Yap that operated a Gruman Goose sea plane and would take divers over to Ulithi Atoll. That was some wild divn'! Dove Rota, Tinian, Saipan, Ponapei, Yap, Truk, Palau and a few places I can't remember the names of. Have fun! Mark

You are going to love Palau. Simply the boat ride out to the dive sites is spectacular... especially the first time. As others have suggested, since you live in Guam, dive as much of Micronesia as possible.... it's amazing. You probably have time to get your Nitrox certification before going. Last time I was there, Nitrox was same price as air.

Your mentioning you live in Guam is bringing back some great memories for me. We would go out of Apra Harbor, turn left and dive the blue hole. There was a Japanese Zero sitting upright in the sand at the southern end of the island, accessible by a beach dive.

I got to know one of the Atlantis submarine captains and he would let us stand on top of the sub as it submerged in the harbor down 40+ feet then swim off and entertain the tourists on board. Watching the water crashing up over the hull and conning tower while ballast was blown and the thrusters engaged, all while hanging on for dear life, made you feel like John Wayne and Indiana Jones all rolled up into one. Something tells me that liability-wise they ain't gonna let that happen these days. Thanks for bringing back those memories. Mark

I dove Palau a few years ago with Palau Dive Adventures (great operation). It is one of my all time favorite destinations. Although I have been diving for 56 years, we had several newly certified divers during the 2+ weeks I was there and they all did fine even at Blue Corner. Make sure you let whatever dive shop you go with know your status. Having just the OW certification and not the AOW may limit you in what dive sites they will let you dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom