Palau Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toff86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys

Im planning a RTW trip later this year, im planning to go through Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. I have recently been looking into a side trip to the Palau Island (thy look amazing) but after doing a bit of research it looks like its going to cost about Ž£500 to get a 2 hour flight from Manilla. This seams a bit steep to me, I know is might not be a lot if your planning a specific dive trip to these islands but that kind of money is a months budget in the rest of Asia.

Just wondering if this is the usual price, or can I get there any cheaper? And if there is a boat that goes to the islands that might be cheaper? As you can imagine time is not an issue on a long trip I would rather spend a day and night on a boat and save a few hundred pounds.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Take it easy :D

Palau isn't really a side trip, it is a major destination! It isn't beginner diving - ripping currents, deep dives, sharks on most dives, swimthroughs and tunnels and underwater caves, WWII wrecks, mantas, and did I mention sharks? :D

If you want to go to Palau, go there for a full week. It ain't cheap, but worth every penny!

I have videos of our trip Dec 2007, during shark mating season. :D

robin:D

It's never cheap going to Palau, but like robint said, it's better than all the other places combined.

I wouldn't say better per se . . .just that Palau has a comparable dive experience to all the other places combined.

Toff86, another way to tour RTW is to get your Professional Rating (Divemaster or Instructor), take a Leave-of-Absence from your regular employment --and just work your way around the world, resort to resort and dive ops to dive ops. . . [Edit: of course it helps if you're still single w/o kids!]

I paid $900 USD for a a round trip from Manila to Guam and the Guam to Palau. But as everyone says Palau is not a side trip...I considered Puerto Galera in the Philippines to be a side trip...as I was there for 6 days and now headed to Palau in the next couple of hours for 2 weeks.

Cheers guys, when I said side trip I ment a few weeks out from the route i have already paid for. My ticket has a cretin amount of stops and flyes from Manilla onto oz so I would have to pay for another flight to the Palau Islands (side trip). It looks amazing but ill just have to see what the budget is saying when im in the Philippines. I could always save it for another trip at a later date.

Thanks for all the help.

Toff

This Palau video may make your decision for another trip at a later date easier (or harder!). . .

Hey Scott,

It has been awhile, I see that you are doing your yearly in Palau. Who are you diving with?
I am thinking about going back but with no Keith so I am interested in whom you are diving with.

When you get back I will pick your brain on PG as well....Enjoy the burgers at Kramers

Dave

I paid $900 USD for a a round trip from Manila to Guam and the Guam to Palau. But as everyone says Palau is not a side trip...I considered Puerto Galera in the Philippines to be a side trip...as I was there for 6 days and now headed to Palau in the next couple of hours for 2 weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom