Palau: Liveaboard decisions? Compared to shore-based? Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my dilemma:

Shore-based with Palau Dive Adventures (PDA). Hotel (PRR) for 10 nights (arrival to departure): Approx. $2600 (breakfast & taxes included). Five days of diving (3 dives/day, nitrox and lunch included for two people): Approx. $2000. I'd be on the hook for dinners for 10 nights, so estimate $1000. This puts me at about $5600 +/- from arrival to departure. Admittedly, I'll be spending additional money on kayak and/or Peleliu trips, but let's stay apples to apples.

Ocean Hunter III. Cost for 7 nights aboard/6 days diving at 5 dives/day, food and nitrox included) is approx. $7200. I'd have to get a hotel for 3 nights, so estimate $700 with another $300 for three days of food. That brings my costs to approx. $8200. Again, I'm leaving out kayak or Peleliu to keep things similar.

Basically, both PDA and OH-III have gotten very good reviews-- I don't think I can go wrong either way. BUT, I'm not made out of money, and this is only the first half of the vacation-- Truk follows immediately after.

Pro's to the shore base diving is exactly that: My wife isn't hard-core by any means and honestly? Three good dives a day are enough, especially if you can walk on a beach somewhere for lunch (my understanding is that PDA does two dives, lunch, then a final dive and back to the dock). The con is that you're using a small (and possibly cold) boat for two-three hours a day (but the view is great!).

Pro's to the OH-III are that everything is taken care of, you're doing nothing but diving, getting to the best spots early, etc. But, I don't think my wife will do more than three dives a day, so will she be bored hanging out on the boat?

So. Is being on the OH-III worth an additional $2600?

I DON'T KNOW! I thought I had this figured out, but now I'm going back and looking at all of the numbers........ I'm right back being overwhelmed with conflicting information.

Shore-based? Liveaboard?

Advice? Pretty Please?

R.

Last edited:
If the dates fortunately opened up for you on OH III, then go with the Liveaboard (that's how popular the Ocean Hunter boats are, so take advantage of the opportunity) . . . otherwise that time of year Jan, it can be a very long rough, cold, wet & pounding boat ride for a week's itinerary, through prevailing afternoon squalls, large swells and waves outside the atoll from the Land-based Ops.

I think you can do dinners for a lot less than $100 a night. The walk over to the Drop Off is really quick and you will likely eat for two for $50 with some drinks. PRR is really nice so don't fret that. It is not a dive resort, it is a Japanese owned resort that has really cool Mandarin fish right next to the valet stop.

I would love to OH as we dove with Fish 'N Fins when we were there (that is their live aboard) and really liked them. I did envy the LOBs as they were there and gone at the sites we were heading to in the morning. It is close to an hour run to the sites from Koror and they are not leaving early. Regardless, you have to do Jellyfish Lake and the Peleliu land tour. Going to Palau and not doing that would be a major miss on your part. Jellyfish Lake is the most Zen things in the world and Peleliu one of the most humbling.

I think you can do dinners for a lot less than $100 a night. The walk over to the Drop Off is really quick and you will likely eat for two for $50 with some drinks. PRR is really nice so don't fret that. It is not a dive resort, it is a Japanese owned resort that has really cool Mandarin fish right next to the valet stop.

I would love to OH as we dove with Fish 'N Fins when we were there (that is their live aboard) and really liked them. I did envy the LOBs as they were there and gone at the sites we were heading to in the morning. It is close to an hour run to the sites from Koror and they are not leaving early. Regardless, you have to do Jellyfish Lake and the Peleliu land tour. Going to Palau and not doing that would be a major miss on your part. Jellyfish Lake is the most Zen things in the world and Peleliu one of the most humbling.

From some reading tonight, it looks like both the Jellyfish and Peleliu are on the OH-III agenda. As well, we'll be off the boat early enough to do a Peleliu day (over and above the boat day) before our flight to Guam.

I'm really agonizing over this... or as my buddy said tonight-- "you're overthinking things. As usual."

The post on the not-so-great ride conditions has merit. My wife would NOT be amused if those were conditions on a daily basis.

Leaning towards the OH-III. After all, it's only money, right?

Now, to find a 7-11 to knock off to pay for my dive vacation!

R.

My first ever trip to Palau was land based with Sam Tours. I really hate the daily bumpy and wet ride to the sites. And I promised myself that if I ever return it will be on liveaboard.
I kept my promise, money well spent.

done a landbase trip to palau...

diving
dive with sam's tour - great operator, very professional. there are dive site that are close, but the better ones are at leat 30min away. typically, its 2 dives outside on the boat, then maybe 1 dive closer to the dive shop. of course they have a mandrain fish dive right beside their dive shop.
they pick us up everyday and drive us back when we are done. or also send us to town.

acoom
stayed at west plaza malakal - just opp sam's tour and near to the above mention 'drop off' restaurant.
west plaza malakal is not the best accom, but has hot shower, a bed, decent size room, a balcony to air stuff. good for diving not for a holiday resort. :)
around that area has a few more upper class accom.
there is a west plaza right in town, i would have stayed there as it makes dinner choices easier...

food
sam's tour has a breakfast/lunch/dinner serving decent food.
to 'town' is an 20min walk... which can be nice on the first day, but after a few days... u try not to do that.. :)
esp when coming back after dinner... but the good thing is that most of the restaurant do offer to drive you back for free.. some even pick you up if you call ahead. :)

if i go back again (which i actually is planning), i will do a liveaboard as there is nothing much in town plus i have seen it all already. ( its a small town)
else, i will stay at the above mention west plaza in town

Thanks, all.

All inputs considered. Discussion with the wife held. Decision made.

OH-III.

Again, a very sincere "thank you" to all.

R.

Next question: hotel. We will need a "cot and a hot" for one night when we get there and two (or one and a half with a late checkout) nights at the end before our flight.

Clean, safe and quiet, with accessibility to town. It doesn't need to be exactly "resort" style, so maybe a step below the PRR/PPR (which runs around $250/night)?

Any suggestions? I know I've read a few, but can't remember their names.

Again-- thanks!

R.

So....

Fly Denver to Narita to Guam.
Dive the Cormoran/Tokai Maru (this one has always been my "one that got away" dive).
Fly to Palau.
Dive from the Ocean Hunter III for a week.
Do a kayak trip once we're off the boat (assuming I can do Peleliu from the OH-III).
Fly Palau to Guam to Truk.
Dive from the Odyssey for a week.
Fly from Truk to Guam.
Fly Guam to Narita to Denver.

The only things I need to do now are find a hotel in Guam and Palau that won't break the bank and is convenient.

Thanks to all who posted-- it gave me a lot to think about, and I really think (while a bit more expensive), this will work out to be the best solution.

R.

That sounds like a dream vacation. I have a great picture of me trying to touch the Cormoran and the Tokai Maru at the same time. You can almost (but not) touch WWI and WWII at the same time. I love that dive. I was lucky enough to be involved with the filming of a History Channel video. We had comm gear and I got the guided tour from the regional director of PADI at the time. I saw that wreck in an entirely different light.

Don't forget to do Jelly fish lake while in Palau.

Check to see where the "Crew" hotel is for United. You should be able to get a discount and a descent rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom