Palau or PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But as I've said before, from all I can tell, the species diversity and range of marine environments PNG is very hard to beat. The last new species of large fish discovered was found right in Madang harbour-a 3ft long nocturnal Bamboo shark. If they're still finding previously undescribed 3 ft long fish, imagine how many new smaller fish and nudibranchs there are. It's a huge country ranging from 12 degrees latitude to 2 and has one of the lowest population densities in the pacific. I have never seen more varieites and bigger fish. Thinking about this subject, I remember more amazing dives-the 14ft bull shark and swarm of silkies we got buzzed by on the south coast, the queen-sized bed turtle I saw on a night dive on Long Island, the 30+ school of silvertips on Portlock reef, the great hammer who buzzed us on the previous dive.

Specifically where were these dives? I would love to see a school of Silkys, Silvertips, Bullshark etc....People I have talked to who have dove Cocos, Galapagos, Palau etc say the finest diving anywhere they have done is the Eastern Fields....Only one boat that does it is MV GoldenDawn. Unfortunately their trips are usually 14 days....and I do not love a Liveaboards.

There is no doubt what you are saying about PNG is some of the best diving in the world and more creatures than anywhere else in the world. That is why I am headed to Raja Ampat in the next week. The thing about Palau is if you want to see a WWII wreck (planes or ships), Cuttlefish & Nudis...then be in ripping currents with Mantas, Dogtooth Tuna, Wrasses and sometimes 50 sharks in your face in the same day.....they have all the different spots. That is what I like about Palau.

The area you are talking about is that the Walandi area?....I have been looking at staying at the Walandi resort but need to combine it with another spot. I really do not want to hijack this thread but could you tell me the spots you were at in PNG...sounds like my kind of diving.

Specifically where were these dives? I would love to see a school of Silkys, Silvertips, Bullshark etc....People I have talked to who have dove Cocos, Galapagos, Palau etc say the finest diving anywhere they have done is the Eastern Fields....Only one boat that does it is MV GoldenDawn. Unfortunately their trips are usually 14 days....and I do not love a Liveaboards.

There is no doubt what you are saying about PNG is some of the best diving in the world and more creatures than anywhere else in the world. That is why I am headed to Raja Ampat in the next week. The thing about Palau is if you want to see a WWII wreck (planes or ships), Cuttlefish & Nudis...then be in ripping currents with Mantas, Dogtooth Tuna, Wrasses and sometimes 50 sharks in your face in the same day.....they have all the different spots. That is what I like about Palau.

The area you are talking about is that the Walandi area?....I have been looking at staying at the Walandi resort but need to combine it with another spot. I really do not want to hijack this thread but could you tell me the spots you were at in PNG...sounds like my kind of diving.

Yes Travelnsj, that is why I persist, you would almost certainly dig PNG. But unfortunately, much of the good stuff is only accessed by liveaboard, and GD in particular.

The bull and silky sharks were seen on the once a year GD trip from Alotau to Port Moresby along the very rugged, uninhabited south coast. There is a barrier reef there that is quite long, which drops away very deep into the Coral Sea, and there is a great wreck there too, the Maritime Hibiscus. Captain Craig is a big animal fan and knows how to find them. He tells me there are also reliable big bull shark sightings near Karkar, a large volcanic island near Madang. The bull we saw on the south coast was the biggest Craig or I have ever seen, they're not supposed to get that big. And the Eastern Fields itineraries are very good for big stuff, with any trips to Portlock or points beyond being the best. The soft corals are not as colorful at Portlock, but that's where I saw the big school of silvertips hangng in the current and the great hammer.

Walindi is not the best for sharks as the land based boats can't get as far out into the deeper parts of the bay, but I did get to snorkel wth a group of pilot and melon head whales on the way back from one of the farther Walindi dive sites. There is good grey reef shark action in the Witu islands, but they are reached only by LOB. l slso saw a small saltwater crocodile out there. The crew gave me a hard time for bailing out on the night dive, but all I could think of was where are the little guy's parents?

If you are determined to avoid LOBs, then your 2 best bets for big stuff in PNG are Aquaventures in Kavieng and Tufi dive resort. Tufi is close enough to the seamounts and some fringing reefs that they get good shark action on the longer trips out. I think they can also get to the intact B-17 wreck if you can deal with a long day on the boat.

If you've ever thought about trying a LOB, GD should be the one you try. I've spent a lot of time on her and never seen anybody get seasick. Most stable boat, best food and most dedicated diving Captain I've come accross... -Andy

Andy-The desciption of the dive you have had in PNG....I can see why you have passed Palau. I'll look at the Golden Dawn site and look at the schedule you did....think I gotta do this on a LOB.....I have looked at Kavieng and Tufi dive resort....I have heard only spotty reports about big stuff....thus stayed away.

I know you have done Boreno before and so have I. I have done Sipadan and another Island (forget the name) and found the diving to be medicore at best.....I am headed to Layang Layang in April....Have you been?...thanks for the info....Scott

Andy-The desciption of the dive you have had in PNG....I can see why you have passed Palau. I'll look at the Golden Dawn site and look at the schedule you did....think I gotta do this on a LOB.....I have looked at Kavieng and Tufi dive resort....I have heard only spotty reports about big stuff....thus stayed away.

I know you have done Boreno before and so have I. I have done Sipadan and another Island (forget the name) and found the diving to be medicore at best.....I am headed to Layang Layang in April....Have you been?...thanks for the info....Scott

Your welcomed Scott, no I haven't been to Borneo, my comment about it earlier was based on a friend's recomendation. I had feared that Sipadan's best days are behind it, I hope Layang is better. PM me if you want anymore info and we can chat on the phone.

Andy....I did PM you with my e-mail address for more specific info.....Thanks

My wife and I are trying to decide between going back to Palau or trying PNG. We are considering trying live aboard, but my wife does get seasick. Anyone with this problem ever try a live aboard and live to tell???

Just depends on what you want to see, both locations are great in their own right.

For Me PNG as it is last last bastion for Bio Diversity on the planet.

Great places in all locations in PNG - for me I am off to the south coast of West New Britain again - Country side is jurassic and dive is great with a wide variety of critters and some big stuff as well. Probably not a good place to start as a first timer on a liveaboard I would start of doing a Walindi - Witus - Walindi or Walindi - Fathers Walindi run - pick sometime in the middle of the schedules and you should have good weather

Thankd for the info. We are trying to go for two weeks since it is so far. What is the best way to do two weeks in Indonesia in your opinion? Two weeks in PNG itself, or somewhere else with PNG?

Thankd for the info. We are trying to go for two weeks since it is so far. What is the best way to do two weeks in Indonesia in your opinion? Two weeks in PNG itself, or somewhere else with PNG?

Two weeks would be easy in PNG especially if you wanted to see some of the culture part in the Highlands for a day/or three.
A Idea for a trip:
4 days at Loloata, 4 days at Walindi, then a week on StarDancer would be a great trip.
We took 3 days at Walindi, 7 on StarDancer and 2 at Loloata. We had one night previous in Cairns and then two days in Cairns coming back plus 4 days in Hawaii on Oahu. It would have been good to have one more day at Loloata and maybe two/four days in the Highlands or on the Sepik river. We only made one dive at Loloata in the Coral Sea, it would have been good to get to the Pacific wreck.
This was our second trip to Australia area, the first trip was diving on a liveboard at Osprey. We found that coming back to the States - stopping in Hawaii for a few days is a great way to acclimatize back to our normal culture.

Definately when you come into PNg spend a couple of days at Loloata, if there is lost luggage problems and in my experience when I was driving Liveaboards there most seems to be delayed prior to getting to PNG. This gives a chance for things to catch up before getting on a liveaboard, then head off to Walindi for 4 days and jump on Stardancer for a great liveaboard trip one of the best itinerays for the north coast was Walindi, Witus, Fathers giving the opportunity to see a wide range of marine live and wonderful corals.

Then head back to mainland and head up into the highlands for some cultural stuff.
Additional if you organise it a head of time you can get the local school children to do a traditional dance for you at the resort, money donated towards this event goes directly to the school to assist with the children's schooling. For the Liveaboard pens,coloured pencils,crayons & notepads and things of the same ilk are always appreciated and can be passed out directly to the children when you are at the Witus moored in at Dickies Place. Stay away from balloons etc as these tend to be discarded and finish up down on the reef.

On our trip to the Fathers and Witu's our trip had a stream of many calm days. Two days were choppy and one of those it rained at night.
File0354.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

PNG048.jpg

File0042.jpg

6f0ff214.jpg

File0015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom