Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Channel Clinging Crab out roaming

Goldentail Moray

I was filming a scrawled cowfish and a blue spotted cornet fish I had not seen off to the left photobombed the video! It was pretty funny.

@Divin'Papaw what camera you use?

Good to hear @CosbySweater , you liked Juno Ledge better than Barge ? How you compare Juno with Flower Garden?
Juno Ledge is significantly deeper than Flower Garden. The reef also has more vertical relief. The sand is at about 90' and the top of the reef is around 75'. There is also a smaller, second ledge about 30 yards east of the main ledge. Very pretty and very dramatic topography compared to Flower Garden. This is one of the deeper reefs in the area.

I've dove mid reef several times and I enjoy it. It's different from some of the other popular reef sites in that it doesn't have a single, well defined ledge. Instead, it's kind of a rolling topography with several minor ledges and depressions. This is the first time I found the barge which is at the far Northern end of the site so it was an extra special dive for me. It's always fun finding things you know are there but haven't seen before.

I've dove mid reef several times and I enjoy it. It's different from some of the other popular reef sites in that it doesn't have a single, well defined ledge. Instead, it's kind of a rolling topography with several minor ledges and depressions. This is the first time I found the barge which is at the far Northern end of the site so it was an extra special dive for me. It's always fun finding things you know are there but haven't seen before.

The first time I ever got to the barge I saw something shimmering and moving off in the distance only to realize it was the huge MASS of fish on the barge. I've never seen such large schools of fish on a wreck as there typically are on the barge relative to its size. It's such a cool end of the dive when you can get to it!!

Juno Ledge is significantly deeper than Flower Garden. The reef also has more vertical relief. The sand is at about 90' and the top of the reef is around 75'. There is also a smaller, second ledge about 30 yards east of the main ledge. Very pretty and very dramatic topography compared to Flower Garden. This is one of the deeper reefs in the area.

@Jake 10 Juno Ledge is visited by both the Jupiter and Palm Beach boats. They all call it something different of course. It's closer to Jupiter but the Palm Beach boats run up there when conditions are calm. It is much more like the Jupiter reefs in terms of depth and relief than the Palm Beach reefs to the south.

Great info guys, this really helps with planning our next Jupiter and Palm Beach dives

The first time I ever got to the barge I saw something shimmering and moving off in the distance only to realize it was the huge MASS of fish on the barge. I've never seen such large schools of fish on a wreck as there typically are on the barge relative to its size. It's such a cool end of the dive when you can get to it!!
It’s a hidden gem! I was blown away with how much life was on it. It was awesome!

After two days diving Blue Heron Bridge I was finally able to get offshore today. I went out with Pura Vida on their 10 am charter. Seas were quite calm with a 2-3’ rolling swell with a long period of 10 sec or so. We had nice blue water but with a good amount of churned up sand from the swell the last few days. Viz was 40-50’ but with suspended sand at many points dropping it to 25’. Trickle north current with a sizable east-west surge due to the swells. Water temps were 75 F. Topside conditions were calm winds, sunny & a high around 72. We dived Flower Garden & 4th Window.

EDIT: Aside from the usual tropicals that are prevalent on this reef, saw multiple large grouper (mostly blacks I believe), many large schools of snapper/grunt, jack, and spadefish, a few lobsters still around hiding in their caves, several very large nurse sharks, and a large lemon shark. Others on the boat saw a bull and a smaller hammerhead that was swimming up around 10-15'. I missed the bull and the hammerhead unfortunately. We did see a turtle on the surface briefly but didn't see any on the reef. I miss all of the turtles. Looking forward to their return in a few months.

Went diving out of Palm Beach today with Pura Vida. We hit Ron’s Rock to South Flower Garden & 4th Window to Turtle Mound. Surface conditions were calmer and more manageable than forecasted due to the long period and west winds. Forecast was 4-6’ but the period was so long you hardly noticed. All the Palm Beach boats were out (Narcosis, Walkers, Pura Vida) while most of the Jupiter boats canceled. Perhaps it was rougher up north? (Edit: I did see Scuba Works ran and had great conditions).

Very mild N current with a noticeable surge. We had nice blue water, 60’ viz & 75-76F water temps. Two beautiful, relaxing dives.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom