Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been seeing alot of advertising recently for diving in Panama, but can't find any non-ad or P.R. type info. Has anyone dived or vacationed in Panama? What's it like? How does the diving compare to popular Caribbean or Mexico destinations?

Thanks!

I lived in Panama for a few years in the 80's and went back in 99. The diving depends uopn the area. For the most part it is still remote and not well supported. If a person is adventureous then it is great. Diving around Boca Del Toro is good sort of like Honduras. Diving on the other side (Pacific) up close to Coasta Rica is very much like Cocos Island. Most of the diving I did was to pay a fisherman $5 to take me out in his boat and drop me, then come back in about an hour. I stayed on the beach in a tent. Now there are more operators available so it may be easier.

I still don't think it will compare to the well established places like Cozumel or the Bay Islands.

may experience there has been a while ago so take it for what it is worth. I do like Panama and I am actually looking to buy a house there this year. I'll find the name of the operator up on the Pacific side by the islands and post it.

Jerry Nuss

http://www.scubacoiba.com/

This is the operator in Santa Catalina that is land based and runs trips to the waters around Coiba island.

I've also dove around Portabello by Colon and Contadora and the Pearl Islands. For freshwater Gatun lake and the French cut in the canal zone.

Thanks so much for the quick replies. We tend to shy away from the really touristy places and/or big resorts, so off the beaten path is fine. As long as there's a bed, a hot shower, a beach and good diving, we're game!

scubawife:
Thanks so much for the quick replies. We tend to shy away from the really touristy places and/or big resorts, so off the beaten path is fine. As long as there's a bed, a hot shower, a beach and good diving, we're game!

Hello Scuba Wife

Check out Panama.
A place you may want to try in Panama is the small village of Pedasi on the Pacific side. This is a very Tranquillo area of Panama where you will not be on crowded boats or at dive sites that are overrun with tourist. Usually no more than 4 divers on a boat.

And, it is very reasonable priced. Double hotel for $25 per night including breakfast.

Local meals for less than $3.00

Cervesa Frio for .60

A small dive shop in the village of Pedasi, Buzos de Azuero can cater to your needs. They also specialize in Deep Sea Fishing, spearfishing and snorkeling.

www.fishndivepanama.com

Most dive trips go to Isla Iguana which is about 7 km from the coast. Dive intervals are done on the Isla where you can hike, climb the light tower to watch whales, lots of Iguana's and land crabs, etc. They have 17 species of coral and lots of fish. They also offer wreck diving at Punto Malo which is further away.

Happy Diving
Scubador

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom