Panasonic 45 mm macro with Olympus E-PM1 in PT-EP06L housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

att

Registered
Reaction score
Can I use that macro lens with standard PT-EP06L (with standard Olympus port) or I need to buy Zen port for that lens?

I am confused at the moment - several people told me that I could do it and some told me I needed different port.

What is the difference between those 2 ports - they both are flat ports?

Hi;

Although you can fit the macro lens behind the standard port, it is too long to allow you to get close enough to get the most out of the 45mm macro lens. So the Zen macro port is a better idea.

You may want to consider the new Olympus 60mm macro lens, it is a little stronger, cheaper and physically longer - it will work nicely with the standard port you have.

Jack

Hi;

Although you can fit the macro lens behind the standard port, it is too long to allow you to get close enough to get the most out of the 45mm macro lens. So the Zen macro port is a better idea.

You may want to consider the new Olympus 60mm macro lens, it is a little stronger, cheaper and physically longer - it will work nicely with the standard port you have.

Jack

Interesting - I was told that the new 60 mm lens is too long for the standard port. Looks like I need to double check myself.

The 45 is a great lens. I used mine very successfully in the standard port for almost a year before I bought the Zen macro port, so you can do it without investing in either a new lens or a new port.

Jack is correct that the standard port is not the best solution, but it still works. The issue is that because the port is longer than the lens, the actual close focus point is very close to the port front element and that can interfere with the subject and make strobe positioning difficult in true ultra-close 1:1 focus situations. For most macro, the standard port is workable.

That being said, I eventually bought the zen port for the 45 and have been very happy with it. It truly is the "optimal" solution.

Having both lenses I would agree Jack that the 60 macro is the better choice for the stock port and a better lens in terms of AF speed and AOV for macro

Phil Rudin

Thank you for all answers - can somebody confirm if the new Olympus 60 mm macro does fit into PT-EP06L? I know now for sure that it fits into PT-EP06 (this is the housing without focusing LED lights in front) - I saw the picture online. Problem is that I am going on diving holiday on November 11th and the 60 mm lens only will be available here in UK online (in Amazon) from November 1st so I probably will not be able to check it myself. If it fits I would go for it ...

---------- Post Merged at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Having both lenses I would agree Jack that the 60 macro is the better choice for the stock port and a better lens in terms of AF speed and AOV for macro

Phil Rudin

The "Stock Port" - is it PT-EP06L or PT-EP06? They look different to me.

Phil, I am still waiting for my 12-50/macro port so I can take the 60mm for a spin. Maybe next week . . . .. The 45mm worked very well, though, with the loaner port Reef gave me.

Phil Rudin

Phil, regarding the standard port and 60 mm lens - are talking about PT-EP06 or PT-EP06L?

Beware. I bought a 60mm macro and it does NOT fit my PT-EP05L housing (for EPL3) standard port, regardless of many review saying that it fits EP05... Seems the port for EP05L (with lights) and EP05 ( without lights) are different!!!

The 60mm macro lens only fits in the "no-light" housings (EPLl2, E-PM1 EP06), not the E-PL3 or Pt-EP06L housings. Like Guy said - the lens will work, but it is not ideal because of the close-focusing of the 45mm macro. - Scott

Back
Top Bottom