Panglao Island Alona Beach July 27-Aug 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiva729

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,
I am currently planning my honeymoon to the Philippines next July. Im currently looking at the Philippine Fun Divers for just the diving portion and booked at the Pyramid Beach Resort. For those that have done lots of diving here who would you recommend for the diving portion of it. I have heard from some people that have dove with PFD and loved them however their accommodations I have heard have gone downhill. The only issue now is booking with a different resort that doesnt have diving and the transfer portion. We are planning on flying to Mactan Cebu but not sure how to get to Alona area. I think ive heard of a fast ferry? Anybody whose gone there how did you get to your final destination that wasnt with a dive shop?

Thanks in advance!

1. There is NO need to book room around end of July because it is the LOW season.
2. Getting to Alona Beach from Cebu City is dead easy. Take the fast craft from Cebu City to Tabilaran and then taxi to Alona Beach.
Search - Schedule.ph

If I have a choice I would rather go to either Southern Leyte or Sipalay. A lot quieter for honeymooners and the diving is simply better than Alona Beach and its surrounding sites.

I dived with PFD last april, nothing bad to say about their flexibility and organization, it's german managed.
The accomodations on Alona beach are usually overpriced, so we booked a villa uphill only 5 minutes walk from PFD, with spacious room and private terrace ideal for a couple, called Villa Kasadya,
You can either book the transfer with PFD they'll arrange it (they're not dedeicated to a sole resort) or get the fastferry tickets and the taxi directly at the ferry harbor.

As for the diving, Balicasag is still amazing, while Doljo and Puntod walls have great coral walls, OTOH the immediate Alona reefs are in a quite bad shape so try to get as much Balicasag and Doljo/Puntod as you can, I'm sure PFD can arrange.
Images are still better than words.

27954209688_b8332fb837_z.jpg

16187956172_3614cbd0cc_z.jpg

41182990855_e74fd73ffc_z.jpg

Alona reefs are just worth for this specific nudibranch Okenia Nakamotoensis:

41822713911_56a76f11dc_z.jpg

I dived with PFD last april, nothing bad to say about their flexibility and organization, it's german managed.
The accomodations on Alona beach are usually overpriced, so we booked a villa uphill only 5 minutes walk from PFD, with spacious room and private terrace ideal for a couple, called Villa Kasadya,
You can either book the transfer with PFD they'll arrange it (they're not dedeicated to a sole resort) or get the fastferry tickets and the taxi directly at the ferry harbor.

As for the diving, Balicasag is still amazing, while Doljo and Puntod walls have great coral walls, OTOH the immediate Alona reefs are in a quite bad shape so try to get as much Balicasag and Doljo/Puntod as you can, I'm sure PFD can arrange.
Images are still better than words.

View attachment 482462

View attachment 482463

View attachment 482464

Alona reefs are just worth for this specific nudibranch Okenia Nakamotoensis:

View attachment 482465

Thank you for this. After doing further research we are now looking at Malapascua with Sea Explorers. We are not really wanting "touristy" but we definitely want to do the thresher sharks. Have you dove with a. Sea Explorers and b. in Malapascua?

We are also thinking of maybe doing Malapascua for 4 days and then move down to Alona? There are so many options but are kind of overwhelmed.

From what Ive read Alona has really gone downhill and is a lot different then it used to be. Since its our honeymoon we really want to enjoy everything. Thats where Malapascua came in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I dived Malapascua 15 years ago, seen the threshers, seen the mantas and that's about it.
I ddin't go back to Malapascua because I was not impressed with the rest and thought it didn' have the array of diving some other places have.
I didn't dive with Sea Explorers but with Exotic island, both have been there for a while..
In the meantime I came back 5 or 6 times to Alona with Sea Explorers or PFD, so yes it has been going downhill (I don't know of any dive destination that has been improving for the last 20 years...) but not to the point I won't be coming back. There's still a lot to see underwater (I have photos to prove what I'm saying, you can browse my flickr galeries :D ).

I understand your point on a honeymoon that said there are two different options in this case, either go out to restaurants or stay comfy in a very quiet place.
I am traveling with my non diving wife and she appriciates much more somewhere with places to go out than staying on a small island and nothing to around (Ajthough she loves Raja Ampat mind you, but because nature is beautiful there, unlike on a flat island). You will certainly find more comfort and activities on Alona than iin Malapascua, If you want spacious willas at affirvdable price try Kasadya I mentioned above, if you want to indulge yourself in Luxury there's Amorita resort.
Now if you are looking for more quietness in a comfortable place with a very flexible dive centre taht will taylor your dives to your needs, I can also recommend Cabilao Sanctuary Beach Resort near to Panglao and VERY easy access from Cebu city.

I wrote up a report about those destinations, browse this board and you will find it. :)

Thank you!
I think we might do a split trip and at least spend a few days at Malaspascua and then move to either Cabilao or Alona Beach.
We want to still be able to dive Balicasag, but also experience the thresher sharks.

For your honeymoon, I would recommend Malapasqua. Stay at Tapanee resort, they have beautiful seaview cabins with private beach. Also 2 best restaurants next door. I use Thresher Shark Divers, just a short walk from there.

Malapascua + Moalboal(school of sardine).
Alona Beach was great 20yrs ago. No hawkers, no hasslers and absolutely dead quiet at night. Unfortunately the place has gone down hill over last 10yrs!

Sipalay or Southern Leyte.

Moalboal for a honeymoon?... wow if ladyboys, beer bellied expats, dorm hostels and dive factories is your thing. lol...

Moalboal for a honeymoon?... wow if ladyboys, beer bellied expats, dorm hostels and dive factories is your thing. lol...
It is obvious that you don't know there are other places to stay other than on Panagsama Beach!!!
What you don't know you don't know!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom