Panglao notes ... GREAT trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only bad thing about ANY of these Balicasag dive was hitting a tidy little patch of jelly fish on our ascent after The Wall ... I wore a shorty suit, and received the majority of injury ... :shakehead:

View attachment 101743

I always seem to get hit with jelly fish stings also.

The Jellyfish stings looked rather 'gruesome' -- ouch !! There are a few 'over the counter' meds to take the sting out of them,

What are the 'over the counter' meds to take ?

I ran into fire coral on Green Island about 9 months ago, so yeah, I carry some over the counter cortisone creams in my first aid kit ... since returning home, I've picked up the more aggressive type from the skin docs here in TPE.

What are the more aggressive types of medications for Jelly fish stings ?

Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats and Nice report.

Thanks

Great FR.
I've been to Bohol 8 times and it's one of my most favorite places to visit around the world.
Like you mentioned, there is great diving and many other stuff to do for the common tourist.
Also, traveling to Bohol seems a bit easier than some other provinces since things and information are more organized and readily available.

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

I always seem to get hit with jelly fish stings also.

What are the 'over the counter' meds to take ? What are the more aggressive types of medications for Jelly fish stings ?

Don, to be honest I haven't a clue - I've simply gone into a traditional Taiwan chemist, showed the (non English speaking) staff "fire coral", "jellyfish" and "unknown" stings aquired in dives, and they've given me a couple of types of cream that take the sting away after one or two applications - labelling/packaging is all in Chinese writing, translator friend uumed and aahed and said "it's for insect stings" (yes I'd worked that out) :idk: - but I'm assuming they are some type of strong cortisones, or steroid based anti inflamatories ? I've found "Tiger Balm" is also pretty effective for some 'unknown' stings also.

Great FR.
I've been to Bohol 8 times and it's one of my most favorite places to visit around the world.
Like you mentioned, there is great diving and many other stuff to do for the common tourist.
Also, traveling to Bohol seems a bit easier than some other provinces since things and information are more organized and readily available.

rab, it's been on my list for a while, only thing putting me off is connecting domestic flight times to and from Manila, as when I've looked the domestic flights mean a lot of waiting around in Manila for a flight to Bohol (Tagbilaran) - and even more waiting around or travel time (if via Cebu or direct to Manila) to get Int flight used to get back to Taipei (23:30) :depressed: travel times a pain in the butt when trying to jam dive trips into 3 or 4 night little holidays as I manage to do.

cheers

What are the 'over the counter' meds to take ?

The products I've used in the past from pharmacists include prednisolone acetate or hydrocortisone valerate, along with other anti-inflammatory and/or antihistamines ... the 'aggressive' prescription stuff, well I don't know what's in that, it comes from a chemist, and like Wantonmien says, Chinese labelling ...

My greatest concern with my recent injury was the risk of infection. Coral stings I've had in the past resulted in infection, and this only caused the blisters /sores to stay longer (close to 2 months). I've been taking prescribed oral antibiotics to ensure against infection this time ...

Funny, a day won't pass without me talking about diving... The high is still there though its been months since I've got certified. HONESTLY, all my savings goes to diving

Welcome to the greatest and one of the priciest sports on the planet! I know exactly how you feel, passionatediver!

I havent bought shoes or clothes since I started diving because all money is saved for buying my dream BCD, reg, and dive watch.

Sounds so familiar (except the shoes and hair ...). I've only just now purchased my first BCD, and haven't picked up my own regs yet! I continue to say the same thing, but I know others will disagree - I'll dive before I spent $$ on gear. If a have a choice between a dive trip or spending the same amount on my own equipment, I'll go on the trip and continue to use rental gear!!

Welcome to the greatest and one of the priciest sports on the planet! I know exactly how you feel, passionatediver!

Sounds so familiar (except the shoes and hair ...). I've only just now purchased my first BCD, and haven't picked up my own regs yet! I continue to say the same thing, but I know others will disagree - I'll dive before I spent $$ on gear. If a have a choice between a dive trip or spending the same amount on my own equipment, I'll go on the trip and continue to use rental gear!!

im relieved to know that im not the only one who feels this way. but i have to agree that i'd rather spend for a dive trip than and continue to rent gears until such time that buying my own BC and reg wont be that painful. im excited to dive with you guys (given a chance) because I want to learn more from experienced divers so I hope that when you get to visit the Philippines, please let me know. :)

im excited to dive with you guys (given a chance) because I want to learn more from experienced divers so I hope that when you get to visit the Philippines, please let me know. :)

I'll certainly let you know the next time I'm coming down into the PI ... just not too sure when that will be. I've been looking at all kinds of different locations and types of diving in the Philippines over the past few months, and I'd love to get down there again soon.

Some stuff really gets me excited (Anilao/Subic, Malapascua, Moalboal ... maybe PG), and there's a certain instructor down there that I'd like to meet to discuss some tec training ... eventually ...

I have been diving the Cebu area now for (3) months,Malapascua,Moalboal,Dauin/Dumaguete,and now for (3) weeks, Alona beach,Bohol. I would say IMHO, Moalboal is my first choice then Tawala,Panglao second. Taking in consideration of not only diving but accommodations,entertainment,& food, these two are most the affordable. Hope to be inTexas by Christmas if they have not burned it to the ground.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I would say IMHO, Moalboal is my first choice then Tawala,Panglao second.

I first contemplated Moalboal before deciding on Panglao, but have recently read more about the area (possible threshers, sardine run, etc.), so I really look forward to getting there in the near future.

Having spent so much time there recently, Krazytomdiver, how would you rate Cebu compared to other Asian destinations? North (Central?) American?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom