Panhandle Sub Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not just chatter. Read Pete's post where he states the same thing in option 5.
I am leaning towards #4. Two re-directs in Florida to existing forums. I think this will actually create MORE traffic to each of these other forums without hurting Florida one bit.

I am leaning towards #4. Two re-directs in Florida to existing forums. I think this will actually create MORE traffic to each of these other forums without hurting Florida one bit.

I think changes done correctly will in fact create more traffic. It certainly did for us.

My only question is if you simply re-direct the panhandle to DeepDixie aren't you pushing them to take on an identity they don't really belong to? Wouldn't a re-direct from FL/Panhandle to the Northern Gulf/Deep Dixie be much more concise and user-friendly? Think of the new user from FL and what he/she is going to think realizing they have to consider themselves as living in Dixie :confused: It really is two groups coming together as one, as they should, since they both dive the same areas however, they do not live in the same area.

Those worried about more clicks - there wouldn't be any. NG/DD could/would still be a main forum. Fl would just re-direct to there.

Denise, I can fully appreciate your feeling like you might be losing "your baby" you do a lot of work for your area. I am not trying to discount that. Honestly. I am trying to push this board forward and make things easier for all, especially the new user. Simply having Divers and Diving in the name well.... SB is about diving if we went with that we wouldn't need forums. We have them to build camaraderie and to give back to the sport we so love. I can almost guarantee you all that is going to happen is your area will grow even larger.

If someone wants to discuss the many forays into cavediving, there are several specialized and established forums already in existance to suit cave(rn) diving. ScubaBoard has a cavediving section, which doesn't get alot of traffic, no need to split off another section for cavediving that doesn't get any traffic when everyone involved in the sport already knows where to go(elsewhere). :wink:

No offense to SB of course :wink:

As for this grotesquely overgrown thread's original topic, I plan to keep posting where I always post :wink: Forum descriptions, locations, whatever won't have any bearing - LOL. As far as I'm concerned, it ain't broke, and anyone else's fix doesn't really matter to me :wink:

If someone wants to discuss the many forays into cavediving, there are several specialized and established forums already in existance to suit cave(rn) diving. ScubaBoard has a cavediving section, which doesn't get alot of traffic, no need to split off another section for cavediving that doesn't get any traffic when everyone involved in the sport already knows where to go(elsewhere). :wink:

No offense to SB of course :wink:

It is more about having stuff available for the users. Thinking of others that visit SB and thinking of ways to keep them here by offering what they need in an organized friendly fashion. So they don't go elsewhere. To assist in our SB family growing - not simply dissing them - that doesn't solve anything. Personally, I believe that "The Worlds Largest Online Dive Community" can do better for CC and why not try? :) We have made some great strides here on SB. Why stop now???? :bounce:

We/GTBA field a lot of people that would like to plan a trip to CC. Besides it is world renowned why shouldn't they have a spot to plan trips and get social, if you will? Heck many of us plan trips there in the winter.

Doesn't that possibly and artificially separate the cave diving and socialization with some of the same folks that might be doing all three (cave/spring/gulf diving) with others in the same geographical area?

It was actually meeting many of these DDD/Panhandle folks while cave diving that brought me to DDD in the first place to start socializing.

Your point is well taken... but the flip side of the coin is that those "other places" that SBM speaks of have an established group of SME's and Mods with a good flow of info already established. I'm not saying your vision couldn't come to pass, but you might be swimming upstream to get that bounty of cave(rn) expertise over here.

Respectfully,
Bob

It is more about having stuff available for the users. Thinking of others that visit SB and thinking of ways to keep them here by offering what they need in an organized friendly fashion. So they don't go elsewhere. To assist in our SB family growing - not simply dissing them - that doesn't solve anything. Personally, I believe that "The Worlds Largest Online Dive Community" can do better for CC and why not try? :) We have made some great strides here on SB. Why stop now???? :bounce:

We/GTBA field a lot of people that would like to plan a trip to CC. Besides it is world renowned why shouldn't they have a spot to plan trips and get social, if you will? Heck many of us plan trips there in the winter.

Denise, I can fully appreciate your feeling like you might be losing "your baby" you do a lot of work for your area. I am not trying to discount that. Honestly. I am trying to push this board forward and make things easier for all, especially the new user.

I'm not sure what your argument is for. The OP is from the Panhandle and wanted his trip plans and dive reports to be a part of DDD as many who live in the Panhandle have said on this thread that they wanted as well because we all dive together in the same area. In this sense all of us have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Doesn't that possibly and artificially separate the cave diving and socialization with some of the same folks that might be doing all three (cave/spring/gulf diving) with others in the same geographical area?

It was actually meeting many of these DDD/Panhandle folks while cave diving that brought me to DDD in the first place to start socializing.
Possibly... it's why we are weighing ALL options.

It is obvious that no plan will please EVERYONE: we just want what is best for the Board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom