Question Panic in the experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem to me that, as we gain experience and go through some minor glitches on dives, we should increase our capacity to tolerate issues underwater. I'm wondering what could cause an experienced (say, more than 200 lifetime dives) diver to become distressed enough to lose rational thought. Has anyone here (who meets those criteria) been through a panic event? What caused it, and what did you do?

Panic has happened to me. Probably the least injured I have ever ended up after panic was on my first and only hang glider attempt. I ran hard and leaped off the steep hillside but never pushed out hard enough on the bar to create lift. From reading more about hang gliders, after the fact, I think I hit "dead air" (no lift, no downforce) and I was lucky to only have a scrapped knee after snapping the main spar in the crash.

All I had to do was push out on the bar, make lift, but I froze ... :idk:

The only time I ever stopped
panicking was when the panic stopped

Diving

It would seem to me that, as we gain experience and go through some minor glitches on dives, we should increase our capacity to tolerate issues underwater. I'm wondering what could cause an experienced (say, more than 200 lifetime dives) diver to become distressed enough to lose rational thought. Has anyone here (who meets those criteria) been through a panic event? What caused it, and what did you do?

I have spoken with several experienced CCR divers in the past month or so who talk about "irrational bailout" experiences.

What they describe is suddenly being in a situation where things are not going according to the expected plan. They sense the beginning of a slide into bedlam and although there is nothing apparently wrong with their unit or the loop itself, they bail to OC.

From many viewpoints, this behavior is irrational. Does that count?

Twice I was on the edge of panic. Once was a dark narc situation solo at 150' on an rig dive with a 400 foot bottom. I had the feeling of being sucked down by some unseen force. I recognized what it was and swam up to a shallower depth and it passed.
Another was solo in shallow water when I realized that the hydroelectric dam I was diving about 600 feet from that wasn't supposed to be running was running and I was slowly being drawn toward the intake. I got to the bottom and began swimming a right angle to the current following the bottom up to the shore.

My day job of operating in a control room environment where it could be described as hours of boredom interrupted by moments of panic may have helped me deal with such situations.
I also believe visualizing sutuations in your mind and how you would want to react also helps when the poo hits the fan.

So my perspective is a bit different than most's. Panic, excitement, stress and fear... They're all gone. I used to enjoy managing them... Now they're absent. Now all there is is logic... "I want to live, so I need to do THIS, not THAT.."...

This is similar to a phenomenon or characteristic I see in saturation divers, combat swimmers, and submariners to a lesser extent. I suppose there is no way to know if it is developed from experience, training, or is largely inborn. I describe it quite un-artfully as coming to terms with death. Whatever "it" is, the result is a sense of calm and resistance to panic that is observable even in minor stressful situations.

I believe it would be difficult to be in these professions without whatever "it" is. We share very different attitudes about risks, procedures, and expectations. This mind-set is often reflected in my posts, and frequently generates criticism. Not a complaint, just an observation.

There are a lot of dangerous pastimes and professions that I suspect share this characteristic. There are also many people who would never participate in them, but successfully deal with life and death decisions under crisis every day -- medical and public safety professionals for example. Some people say that is different because it is not "their" life at stake -- but tell that to a cop, fireman, or military medic. Fascinating subject to reflect on.

I had a panic moment on my 13th dive. This was my first night dive at a shore site that I dove a few times before. The begining of the dive went pretty well. I was nervous because of the change in environment. My buddy and I reached an artificial reef structure at about 30 feet and found 3 other divers we met there. I got 3 sets of dive lights shined in my face and my buddy bumped me almost knocking my mask off. My training allowed me to recover my mask and I indicated to my buddy I needed a minute. I then told him I wanted to thumb the rest of the dive because I could feel the panic building. We turned toward shore and began heading in. This was when I got tunnel vision and my flight mode kicked in. I literally dragged my buddy to shore with me. I'm still diving after that experience because my buddy ecouraged me to get back in the water. I appreciate him standing by me and through continued diving and training have learned to calm myself when that initial feeling sets in.

They weren't diving related but I have had two incidents where it was a matter of pure luck that I survived either. Kind of colored my outlook on life in that it can end at any moment with no warning.

This is similar to a phenomenon or characteristic I see in saturation divers, combat swimmers, and submariners to a lesser extent. I suppose there is no way to know if it is developed from experience, training, or is largely inbred. I describe it quite un-artfully as coming to terms with death. Whatever “it” is, the result is a sense of calm and resistance to panic that is observable even in minor stressful situations.

You too? Man, that's great... Makes me feel better to know that the "syndrome" isn't too uncommon.

Logically, (that's all that seems to be left), I'm also aware of the fact that I don't really have much emotional response to what is otherwise a dangerous situation. The absence of fear, panic, and a "flight or fight" means that I have to compensate a little to ensure that I don't handle situations too casually. I can see that "normal" people might consider the lack of these emotions a blessing, but there's definite tradeoffs.

I would have no emotion, for example, if I was going 150 mph in a car on a crowded street. Logic - a slower thought process than fear or panic - would kick in, and I'd think, "Jeez, I might hurt someone if I don't slow down," so I would. But there would be no self-preservation emotion like panic or fear.

I remember getting caught in a sudden thunderstorm at the top of a 1200 ft. tower... This was before cancer. Since a climb is a 3-hour process for the fittest individual and an hour to an hour and a half descent, I spent hours descending and climbing again in order to get out of the danger. I remember distinctly being too focused to panic, and it took a lot of effort to make it happen without a catastrophe. Panic was always there during the event - fear, designed in to our psyches for the purpose of self-preservation. My focus and intent kept it from becoming a problem.

Of interest, and in accordance with Murphy's Law, the moment I touched down, the storm left as quickly as it had come.

Today, post-cancer, I think I'd have just strapped myself in and plugged my ears and enjoyed the light show. Either the tower was gonna get struck or not, and it wasn't going to help if I was mid-climb or not if the tower got struck. This seems more rational to me today - and possibly safer, since when climbing, there's times when I'm not clipped in - than descending and getting out of there. My decision to descend at the time was certainly based on fear and panic, with only the focus of the activity keeping it managable.

I believe it would be difficult to be in these professions without whatever “it” is. We share very different attitudes about risks, procedures, and expectations. This mind-set is often reflected in my posts, and frequently generates criticism. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Me too. I suppose it comes across as "mean" to other people. I suppose that, at best, it's unemotional and therefore unempathetic. I don't mean to be that way to people... But if someone reads my posts, they're gonna find that they're truthful and logical - even if that hurts feelings. "The Truth" is my way of caring. If I was being mean, then I'd lie or dance around the truth and cause someone to make inappropriate or incorrect decisions.

There are a lot of dangerous pastimes and professions that I suspect share this characteristic. There are also many people who would never participate in them, but successfully deal with life and death decisions under crisis every day — medical and public safety professionals for example. Some people say that is different because it is not “their” life at stake — but tell that to a cop, fireman, or military medic. Fascinating subject to reflect on.

Yeah it is! Good stuff. I bet you're a great dive buddy... Reliable and truthful and logical.

This is similar to a phenomenon or characteristic I see in saturation divers, combat swimmers, and submariners to a lesser extent. I suppose there is no way to know if it is developed from experience, training, or is largely inbred. I describe it quite un-artfully as coming to terms with death. Whatever “it” is, the result is a sense of calm and resistance to panic that is observable even in minor stressful situations.

I think a large part of it is coming to terms with the reality of the profession you have accepted as being yours.

Granted, that certain people are more drawn to certain professions than others.

But as a saturation diver, you come to accept that the surface is no longer a friendly place for you, when you owe 2 to 6 days of decompression.

This means that if you have a problem at depth, you better find a solution.
No CESA.
This necessitates being calm in crisis.

I had one total panic situation and I became totally and completely frozen. Petrified in fear.

All I could do was remain still and scream. It wasn't a diving situation, occured in my home. Perviously, I had never really believed or understood that people could freeze up instead of fighting or running away. Never happened before or after. I was very surprised by my own actions and lack of response.

Back
Top Bottom