Panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roughie

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I started my open water training last week. We had rushed through everything, did one classroom session and wrote the exam, One pool session and got all that done. Then we were scheduled to do the ocean dives, we we're supposed to combine the four dives into two. Anyways well not ideal it was going well until the last open water dive (technically dives three and four).

When I had to take off my mask and put it back on I accidentaly kncoked the regulator out of my mouth. I couldn't get it back in and ended up surfacing, not thinking at all until it was all done (we we're at about 30 feet). The instructor had me descend again right away and do it over. Now I did get it done and continued on with the dive but called it off about half an hour later, feeling a little uneasy. Now technically I only have half a dive left to be certified. The problem is I am very uneasy about how this went down and am just wondering if anyone can give any advice. This happened three days ago, I haven't scheduled a date to finish the certification yet. Personally I'm not in a rush to get this done and am tossing around the idea of not completing, having said that my wife ended up getting certified that day so....The reason for the rush was due to the instructor not being able to get us in over the summer (we live in a tourist town), I know this isn't an excuse but up until this point it seemed all good.....

Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts.

Ask to re-do those skills in the pool first. You need to take it easy, you have been rushed and that 's not good. Once you feel comfortable in the water with what you have to do it will be a breeze. Good luck and don't quit now, you're almost there.

What we did in my OW class was make sure that our air and our octo's were in an accessible position even if suddenly knocked from us. You should be able to lean to your right side for your air and be able to swing your arm underneath your hose and get the reg in your mouth. I know it's uneasy and sometimes uncomfortable to have your mask off and put it back on, but the best thing to do to make that more comfortable for you is just practice. I do practice it even though I don't like to. I went into the pool in my complex and practiced doing it several times. Just take a nice breath in before you do it and slowly let the air out, if you knock your reg out, make sure to hold on to your mask and put the reg back in your mouth so that you are breathing comfortably again. Best of luck!! And, it is a great thing to be a diver, enjoy it.

As you've no doubt learned, there's a difference between being able to do a skill, and being comfortable with it. Ask your instructor if you can practice in the pool while he's there with class, and repeat all the basic skills until they're second nature. Then complete your certification dive.

Repetition is key to mastering any skill, not only in Scuba, so treat this as you would anything you want to master. As they say, practice makes perfect, so even after certification keep the skills fresh and sharp with occasional practice.

As to knocking your reg out of your mouth, you were probably taught two recovery methods, the sweep and locating the hose over your shoulder. Both work, but if you feel any tension at all about it, remember that there's a third failsafe option - reach for the octo which you know exactly where to find. For new divers especially theres a high value in the emotional security of knowing that the octo is right there if they need it.

Yes to all comments. Keep practicing and remember to "stop" when the situation changes. I was just diving in the Puget Sound and the current brought a bunch of silt. Viz went from 10 feet to 0 feet. I just stopped, calmed myself, and got my head straight. Then trusted my navigation and moved on. Soon I got out of the low viz area and had fun.

Isn't diving great?

Sounds like the instructor may have been trying to rush you through everything. Some people can handle a pace like that, but many can not. As Don Fransico mentioned there IS a big difference in being able to do a skill & being comfortable in that skill. I agree with the others, It sounds as if some additional practice in the pool will serve you well. There's no reason to quit, as the others have said, you're right on the brink of finishing up. I was one of the many who had an immense problem with mask clearing. I was able to do it enough to get myself through the course, but in the real world,... I was no where near ready. After the course, I kept practicing the skill until now, if I can, I love to get my buoyancy neutral, remove my mask & just relax completely (I refuse to open my eyes underwater) for several minutes. With some practice & repetition you will become a skilled & comfortable diver, you just need some time to develop at your own pace. Best of luck to you in your endeavors. :blinking:

YouÃÓe ok and thatÃÔ whatÃÔ important. It takes a little while to get the hang of things when you are new and sometimes things are not perfect. That's why we learn the skills we do. So donÃÕ be hard on yourself. Maybe now you see the value of some of the exercises?

Scuba is amazing, itÃÔ worth taking a deep breath, trying to relax and going back and trying again. IÃ×e been spooked before, many of us have at one point or another it's best not to let it keep you out of the water.

I like the suggestion of practicing your skills again in the pool until you feel confident. Maybe the instructor will let you join another class? You also might want to review your book/video again.

Once you are certified, consider diving with a dive master for a while till you feel more confident.

Good luck!!!

All the advise you have gotten is real good I would just add that you should remember allso that you have your altertan air (acto.) that is in the triangle area , chin and ribs . You can use it till you get things back in order and get calmed down . GOOD LUCK . and don't give up

AM so sorry you had a scary accident...and came out of it safely...thank goodness you didn't hold your breath!
It's good you can replay what happened...and see just what went wrong.... get your confidence back.. just do some pool time..no rush..and take the time to breathe on your Octo..just knowing it's there doesn't help you if you're not trained to use it...do Octo recovery..even with out your mask on..did you swim without your mask in the pool?
You had way too many training dives back to back to back to back...did you get the chance to surface? Change out tanks? All 4 in training, in one day? That's not fair to you..iI's okay to fun dive all day long...with a pro by your side ofcourse...but do to skills all at the same time is rushed..
Just my 2cnts

roughie:
I started my open water training last week. We had rushed through everything, did one classroom session and wrote the exam, One pool session and got all that done.

Rushing is not a good idea whe you're learning to dive. You should spend about 16 hours in the pool. As you later demonstrated in open water, you weren't ready to leave the pool.

roughie:
Then we were scheduled to do the ocean dives, we we're supposed to combine the four dives into two. Anyways well not ideal it was going well until the last open water dive (technically dives three and four).

Technically, dive two. You have made two dives, not four. Your instructor violated standards and you should report it to the agency.

roughie:
When I had to take off my mask and put it back on I accidentaly kncoked the regulator out of my mouth. I couldn't get it back in and ended up surfacing, not thinking at all until it was all done (we we're at about 30 feet).

This is why you need more pool time. You are not comfortable with your skills. First, you shouldn't knock out your regulator when removing your mask. Not your fault, you simply need more practice. Next, you should be able to easily recover a dropped regulator two different ways. Not your fault, you simply need more practice. Finally, you should always be able to have instantly pick up your octopus. Not your fault, you simply need more practice.

roughie:
The instructor had me descend again right away and do it over. Now I did get it done and continued on with the dive but called it off about half an hour later, feeling a little uneasy.

I'm glad you knew to call the dive. Good job!

roughie:
Now technically I only have half a dive left to be certified. The problem is I am very uneasy about how this went down and am just wondering if anyone can give any advice.

No, you technically have two more dives, you've made only two.

roughie:
This happened three days ago, I haven't scheduled a date to finish the certification yet. Personally I'm not in a rush to get this done and am tossing around the idea of not completing, having said that my wife ended up getting certified that day so....

You shouldn't be in a rush. Rushing is why you had trouble. If I were you, I would not complete this course. I would look for a much better instructor (yours is incompetent) and take the entire class over again. To find a better instructor, interview instructors you might consider hiring. Ask these questions.

roughie:
The reason for the rush was due to the instructor not being able to get us in over the summer (we live in a tourist town), I know this isn't an excuse but up until this point it seemed all good.....

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... Seriously, you panicked and rushed to the surface from 30 feet. You're lucky you are still alive. You should have embolised. Thank God you didn't and don't even consider going back to that instructor. Where do you live? It's quite possible we have an excellent instructor there who's a member of ScubaBoard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom