Panicked on my second open water dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super Reassuring! Thanks there Mr. Murky Waters.
I believe diving is a learned skill... I'm not looking to cave dive atm...just complete my open water so I can check out some coral and fish and do it with ease and confidence.

Super Reassuring! Thanks there Mr. Murky Waters.
I believe diving is a learned skill... I'm not looking to cave dive atm...just complete my open water so I can check out some coral and fish and do it with ease and confidence.

That's all most of us, including myself, want to do. But if you are pannicky, and something goes wrong, very bad things happen. I do not think you yet realize the dangers involved, particularly as someone who is not at ease in or under the water in the first place.

@Catchdanielle: Thanks for sharing. Very interesting thread.
I think you got some really good advice. I would like to offer a thought (just a thought, not an authoritative opinion):

My wife (also not a "fan" of water and some (since sort of overcome) history of panic when the water was deeper than what she could stand in) may dare to try an OW class someday - or not - for her to determine. For snorkeling she at this point is only comfortable if I basically hold her hand. Which means in essence that she is not comfortable at all.
You seem to be way beyond that, but yet not really comfortable in the water. Nevertheless, what I am telling my wife is that she should only consider taking the OW class (she seems to want to) if and when she can fathom to do all these "diving things" some day in a self reliant way and if therefore she is aspiring to work her level of capability and comfort towards that. No need to be self reliant when starting out. Nothing wrong with buddy diving forever. Nothing wrong at all with needing to trust a buddy or an instructor to get underwater either when starting out. I very well understand that we all come from a different place on the "water-tolerant/comfort - scale). When done right getting into diving can be a good way to improve all that. When done wrong it can be a very disastrous way. So, in my opinion, if the expectancy is to INITIALLY wanting / needing to trust someone to be there for if and when something goes undesirably any whichever way and to then use the learning process and successive diving towards eliminating that for the own comfort necessary "need" for that other person to be there and to replace it in time with the competence and understanding gained and reinforced by practice, then starting out with some trepidation may turn into a very good thing. Kudos for trying.

But if the discomfort is so large that becoming self reliant is not even thinkable, yet not large enough to give up, then, in my opinion, this could lead to dangerous and habitual levels of relying on others too much. And then I would agree with those that say diving is not for everyone. That said, I don't see that in what I read about you. There is nothing wrong with wanting or needing to start in better conditions, go slower or in a more nurturing instructor - student relationship ... nothing wrong with going at the pace necessary to be truly comfortable with the previous step before moving on to the next step. That may not be possible at all within the (time frame & budget) scope of a OW-diver in a one weekend group lesson. But it certainly is possible and you got advise to that effect. So, get comfortable with every step along the way - and then move on.
Try to be specific about whichever issue you experience as it may aid your instructor in helping you to "debug" your situation. (.e.g. Are you heavily uncomfortable with water in your nose (can be dealt with) - or are you actually breathing through your nose (don't do that)? )

All the best to you!
And whichever way it turns out for you, after all that wise-cracking above, I would much appreciate if you'd tell us about it - what helped, what didn't help in your case ... because I will learn from it and adjust my thinking accordingly - not only but also because I hope to help my wife to do what's right for her (or at least not be in her way of that).

I always felt snorkeling should almost be a prerequisite for diving. It's good she has started. After a while and she is on her own without hand holding, the next step would be to dive down to maybe a bottom of 8-10 feet. I've found that snorkelers have a leg up when starting OW course.

Hi Catchdanielle,
I got the diving bug on a resort dive in Cabo San Lucas last fall. I just knew I was going to get my OW cert!

When I first attempted, things went very badly. I was in a hurry to get my cert because I had several trips coming up to Florida for business. As I look back, the instructor was very patient with me, did everything right and attempted to keep me calm. No matter what, I just couldn't get my head in the game. The real problem was that I was incredibly overheated. The entire event took place in a pool that is kept at 92 degrees. After treading water and doing laps I did the rest of the exercises I was supposed to at the bottom of the pool and felt really uncomfortable. IT WAS HOT. When it came time to work on the dry suit, I lost it. I was literally standing in the corner at one point running a hose over my head to cool down. In hind sight, my stress level was so high I didn't learn anything I should have before going into the deep end of the ocean.
When I finally did go out for the OW in the dry suit, it went even further downhill. I did the dreaded uncontrolled feet first ascent from 35 feet down. The instructor wanted to add ankle weights and try again, I just wanted to go home. I had horrible nightmares that night and didn't sleep a wink. I was supposed to go back in the water the next morning and try again but I needed some time to calm down. I was ready to call it quits! I had convinced myself this just really wasn't for me.
There were a couple of attempts to get back in the water but schedules never quite worked out and my frustration level grew to a point that I was just about done. I was thinking to myself, what have I done? I've spent all of this money on this equipment and now I'm terrified of going back in the water.
I went ahead and traveled to Florida and decided I'd just go snorkeling. The third day of the trip, there were four scuba divers about 30 feet below me shining a flashlight on something down deep. I was so anxious to see what they were looking at! I decided that I needed to work through the fear and try again. Just watching them, they were relaxed, they were enjoying what they were seeing and doing. I wanted to be able to do that too.

I spent a lot of time visualizing and meditating through the problems, accepting what I was responsible for, and visualizing what I already knew I enjoyed about scuba. For me, that worked.
This all occurred last December, since then, I got my OW certification in January, I got my advanced in February doing two 100'+ wreck dives, drift dives and relaxing reef dives. Last weekend I got my Eanx as well and did six dives over two days. I'm getting confidence and becoming more comfortable being under water.

One reason I didn't give up was that the shop owner I dealt with talked me back into the game. Frankly, he challenged me not to give up. The thing is, it may not be your instructor who talks you through the challenge and psychology of taking up diving. It may be another diver, a friend, or even yourself.
I put pressure on myself to continue with this because I knew once I got past the initial fear, I would love the activity. I do!
I'm not sure if your BF is pressuring you to do this, but I can tell you, my girl friend is quite content to spend her time at the surface snorkeling unless the water is warm and crystal clear. I respect that and put no pressure on her to do otherwise.

I wish you the best of luck, and visualize seeing you underwater sometime!
G

Always happy to help. PM sent, we have a nice social dive group with mentoring going.

Greg, Did you ever find out why the pool was at 92 degrees? I would think this situation would've come up with other students before you.

One piece of advice for you if you get stressed - take a deep breath and slow down. Take a breather between gearing up and getting in to get your head in the right place ie relaxed.

An often mentioned tip for all divers from OW to the ultimate technical divers is that when things go wrong - stop, breathe, think and act. Don't be in a hurry when doing skills - fast is often bad. Slow and steady wins the race.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom