Pansonic G3 Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggibson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Any news/rumors/hints of someone making a housing for the G3 that was announced last week? Lots of positive reviews and discussion around this one already. It's making me think of turning in my GF1 :D

Well 10bar came around quickly with the gf2, so I would imagine they will have a g3 variant up as well.

I hope Nauticam makes the G3 a top priority. This looks like THE camera for UW on a "compact" scale. Panasonic has finally hit professional-level 16mp resolution, with really outstanding higher ISO quality (for me, 400 is 'high iso' but the samples look really good even at 800, lower isos with flash or video lighting will be amazing). Video looks oustanding as well.

Nauticam could take the approach they used for the Sony NEX housing, keeping it very small. They could include a port for the standard 14-45 (not the new and inferior 14-42) lens, with 67 mm threads for attaching a macro diopter and even a wide angle adapter, thus offering "point and shoot" convenience with these accessories. Of course, other ports for the 45mm and 7-17mm or the 8mm fisheye could be options. This would allow someone (me!!) to start with the G3 and standard lens, inexpensive macro and wide angle adapters, and then, later, grow into more advanced equipment.

Hope this happens soon!

I would be very surprised if Nauticam developed a housing for the G3.

The Nauticam housing for the GH2 has just been released( approx 9 months after the GH2 was released)
The GH2 is very similar to the G3. The smaller G3 would not offer a significantly smaller housing compared to the GH2 housing.
The GH2 is also the flagship model for panasonic, so not much reason to develop a housing for the G3.

Perhaps they will develop a housing for the soon to be released GF3, which is a significantly smaller camera.
I intend to buy a GH2,the nauticam housing, 8mm fisheye lens & 45mm macro lens. Although this set-up is expensive, i believe it to be significantly smaller/lighter compared to a typical DSLR setup.

I agree with Kevster, not much upside for the release of a G-3 housing which would need to be priced very close to the GH-2 housing. The GH-2 is at this time the best mirrorless camera on the market. The coming GF-3, Photo Rumors would compete well with the Sony line and a Nauticam housing would fall into a like price range with the Sony NEX-5 housing. The upside to the Panasonic M4/3 cameras is still the much larger lens set.

Phil

I would expect some maker to be working on one. The G3 is a much more mainstream model than the GH2. The latter is better if you need video, but from the G3 samples I have seen its photo quality is just as good as the GH2.

No 10Bar housing that I know of, same from Nauticam. The G2/3 are probably not going to be supported UW as most people prefer the GH1/2 series.

Jack

I hope someone houses the g3. The problem with the gh2, is you might as well buy a d7000! For the price, and not much weight penalty. You can get a canon t2i for much less price than the gh2.

The housings for the gh2 are as expensive as the slr housings. I just don't see the value!

But put in the g3, with seemingly every good as spec as the gh2, fast AF, great video and photos, and much better jpgs, (finally! for use on land), for the price point of the cheapest slr, and 3/4 the weight of the gh2, to me it is a much more tempting package.

The micro 4/3rds lenses are still way over priced, and you can't even get f 2.8 zooms for that inflated price, which you would in the SLR realm, (at least from 3rd party). They are small and light though.

Come on, someone house the g3!!!! Please!!!

Not much difference in size between the G3 & GH2. Would not considerably reduce the housing size. I guess difference in size would depend on the control layout.
GH2 Dimensions 124 x 90 x 76 mm (4.88 x 3.54 x 2.99")
G3 Dimensions 115 x 84 x 47 mm (4.53 x 3.31 x 1.85")
The GH2 is about $300 more than the G3. (G3 + kit lens= $700, GH2+ standard kit is $1000.)
$300 is not much when you consider housings,ports,lens strobes.
Nauticam housing for the GH2 is about $200 less compared to the 550D housing and $1000 less compared to the D7000 housing.
Nauticam have also just released a housing for the EPL2, $1800.

I think the weight saving for a 4/3 set up will be significant.
GH2 housing is 1.3 kg, D7000 is around 2.6 kg
The lens & camera are also significantly lighter compared to the DSLR bodies & lens.
I have ordered a GH2 , 8mm & 45 mm lens. I am hoping my set up will be less than 4 kgs including strobes & ports.
Have to agree the 4/3 lens are very expensive.$650 for a fisheye lens & $900 for a macro lens!!!

Last edited:
That is great news that the price has come down so much. Last time I looked it was $1200 for cam and kit lens.

Now the gh2 sans lens is $765 at the panasonic website.

I'd still like a camera to produce great jpgs, especially for land use, and this apparently where the g3 really has made some strides.

Still, the weight really is not nearly as much difference as I thought. Only 1 oz difference on the pany web site. Lots of incorrect data on dpreview and imaging-resource..

Back
Top Bottom