Paralenz - An action camera dedicated diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank Daneluk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read everything I could find on their Kickstarter page just this morning. I am also interested. The main appeal to me is a depth rating of 200m. My GoPro dive housing is only good for 60m. That's enough for now, but I'm working towards eventually diving the Monitor and it won't be enough then. People in my dive group were supposed to dive the Monitor this weekend, but hurricane damage has scrubbed the trip until next year. They want a video camera that will work at that depth and I almost convinced myself to order a Paralenz just so I could loan it to them when they do the dive.

I also like the streamlined shape and the fact that there is no need to use a separate housing with it.

And they say that you can replace the lens yourself, if it gets scratched. That seems like there is an opportunity for other lenses, like a fisheye or macro or tele, down the road.

I do not like that you can't swap the battery when it gets low, though.

All that said, with SJ9000 action cams shooting 4K video and selling for $50, it's hard to get motivated to spend $350 on the Paralenz when they aren't even released yet.

If they were really crafty, they would put an LED on there and offer an accessory to let you use the LED to trigger an external strobe, so you could actually use it to take (potentially) good u/w photos with it.

I looked at them and thought they would be great for a speargun/pole due to the shape. But for the side of the head it would seem that the user would just end up with video of exhalation bubbles unless they were using a one side exhaust reg.

Not sure why they bothered with dive logs. A waste IMO and just adds to size, complexity and cost. And at $350. Meh.

They don't put a value on the low-light sensitivity that I saw with a quick review (IDK if GoPro does either though) so you might want to ask about that...most places at 100' or so, it's going to be too dark anyway unless you have lights.

You also can't pay me to watch head-mounted video - every little twitch is dutifully recorded plus whatever the diver is currently looking at, gauges, surface, etc. Also head motions while swimming - something you can often minimize with a tray setup.

Last edited:
I think GoPro claims f/2.8. I think.

Right, but I don't know how to quantify the sensor. I have the impression all those little action cameras are using sensors of approximately the same size.

Seriously considering this myself. The $400 price tag doesn't put me off too much, and I actually like the idea of watching the video and my dive profile side-by-side. Not sure about the tether-3rd person thing, as I can see that being an entanglement hazard, although in OW and pristine conditions (like Cayman), I think it would be cool. Still unsure if I'm doing it as I already have a GoPro 4, so it's a little harder to justify to the wife, but the compactness and ease of traveling with it could make this a go.

I think @HowardE has used GoPro cameras successfully deeper than listed.... See if he will respond...

I think @HowardE has used GoPro cameras successfully deeper than listed.... See if he will respond...

The GoPro 4 can use the GoPro 3 case. The GoPro 3 case is resistant to 200'. I have had mine to 220' without any issues. I have heard of deeper yet with it.

This camera looks interesting. If it pans out, it would be a nice addition to the sports camera choices.

Back
Top Bottom