Park Royal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TR186

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to know the scoop on Park Royal. My wife and another couple will be traveling with me this time so I will look for a nicer place to stay. They want a beach and AI. (I know I know) My wife has not been to the island in 10 years ( she will freak)and the other couple has been once and very in experienced divers. Does Park Royal have a in house dive operator? When my wife was there we would stay at Fiesta Americana and use The Dive House.

I have been staying at SSC for convenience in the past and going into town for dinner and drinks only. I like staying close to town. I am also wanting to ask if there is a place that we can go do a shore dive so I can make sure everybody can get waited correctly. They all will be doing refresher course before we leave.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Not sure how to act not doing a dive only trip to Cozumel. I plan on showing the other couple all the good eats and friendly folks on the Island. They have never been to the Plaza on Sunday evenings.

Aqua World may be the inhouse dive op but verify

https://aquaworld.com.mx/en/locations/cozumel.php

Park Royal website:

Park Royal Cozumel - Cozumel Hotel - Park Royal Cozumel Vacation Specials

Note that he beach is relatively small compared to beaches further south.

Here is a discussion of other nearby dive op:

Dive Shop near Park Royal - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

You can also use anyone you wish and be picked up at your hotel pier although there may be a charge since one comment noted that Aqua World owns the pier.

I would think that you could do a shore dive right there but be very careful of boat traffic.

I stayed there last year and found out it was safer and cheaper to do the shore dives @ babieca @ el CID next door. There is an area sectioned off however if you go deeper do be careful since tits a relatively busy area.

Oh yeah, if I recall aqua world wanted to charge north of $50usd for a tan and weights to do a shore dive, babieca was closer to $10...

As far as boat diving I used a different operator, Living Underwater and I purchased a 'dock use red bracelet pass" from aqua world for $5 for one week. It was cheaper than paying everyday.

Definitely not safe to do shore diving right in front of Aqua world.

Have fun!

I have stayed at Park Royal several times. My wife also wants a beach area and the AI. They have a small beach area and decent snorkeling. I usually dive with Del Mar Aquatics next door to the north. Close enough to walk to in a couple of minutes. They don't charge anything for a shore dive if you do multiple day dives with them. There is a small reef right in front of their shop that hasn't decent shore diving. They even left tanks and weights out for my buddy and myself to do night dives their at no charge.

I've stayed there with my wife and found it to be a nice place and a good value. The beach is small, but is fine if you just want to put your feet in the sand and relax in the sun. I always use a smaller dive op and just paid the $5 for them to pick us up at the Aqua World pier.

It's relatively close to town so going in for a couple of meals is easy enough.

The hotel was gutted after Wilma and completely rebuilt, so everything is in excellent condition. The rooms, grounds, pools, restaurants, etc. are very nice.

The rooms are in taller buildings and you need to use an elevator to get to them. It can take some time to get to a fro from the room to pools/beach. Not a big deal to me, but if you like everything really close and fast, it might not be for you.

No experience with the shore diving there. But it's a very active boat traffic area, with it being the main pier for Aquaworld and next to the International Pier. That said, I enjoy watching all of the action on the water.

PH

I stay at the PR every year, been going there since 1997. Missed a few in the early 2000s but have been there the last 3 years in a row.

1) DO NOT USE AQUAWORLD (onsite dive op). Terrible OP! Cattle boats, large groups, poor DM's, very unsafe practices. I listen to story's in the pool all the time about people experience with them. Have heard 2 first hand near death experiences from the near death facee. DO NOT USE!!!!
2) Hotel is nice, there are no king beds in the place hardly, so just expect 2 doubles.
3) It's a time share OP as well, so just say no to the time share sharks.
4) Food is good. Dinner is different every night. 2 reservation restaurants - no pants required! Both are good. Not The Presidente or The Palace but neither is it as $$$.
5) Beach is great for shore dives if you want to lug your crap to the beach, lug tanks over from Aqua World. We see ppl shore diving there all the time. Not my cup of tea though.....
6) When I stay there I use Papa Hogs. They are a half mile north of the PR and on the water with an actual shore/beach/pier. If say you used them, you can walk your gear down the day you arrive or taxi. Do a shore dive and leave your stuff there. They can then pick you up at the Aqua World pier (costs $5 for a wrist band for a week of using their pier). They will haul/store your gear for the week. Very convenient. I would HIGHLY recommend hiring Aries (he is doing most if not all of their scuba instruction now - American guy who is phenominal at teaching) as a private DM for first day for the new/inexperienced divers. I reccomend this for any op you use actually. Makes the 1st day so much better for everyone!!!

There are lots of ops who will pick you up there and haul your gear - Christi's BlueXTSea, Aldora, Living Underwater, Dive with Martin, etc etc etc. Christi and Aldora would be my top choices though - I use PH as I have been using them since 1997 and I know what to expect and they know me....so it's more a comfort thing for me. PH is not the high end hold your hand catering op like some of the others, but they use small 6-8 pax and I have never had an issue with them. :)

I like the PR as I think it is the BEST bang for the buck on the island that is close enough to town to go in regularly to eat and shop etc. I like watching the cruise ships come and go - they are way cool to watch. The grounds are gorgeous, I like the 3 pools and 3 swim up bars and 2 snack bars etc. It feels bigger than it is - and unlike some of the south properties you dont have to hoof it 1 mile to get to the beach lol.

Go expecting La Quinta Inns and Suites and you will be fine. If you expect the Hyatt Regency....you may not lololol.

Heres a link to my pics from our 2011 trip with the kids.

Feel free to ask any other Q's.

Will be staying at the Park Royal for my first trip into Cozumel. I know the website says non-motorized water sports are included and was wondering if they offered anything other than snorkeling in terms of non-motorized water sports? I know other AI's include things like kayaks and wind surfers, etc and know my nephew would love to try some water activities.

I stay at the PR every year, been going there since 1997. Missed a few in the early 2000s but have been there the last 3 years in a row.

1) DO NOT USE AQUAWORLD (onsite dive op). Terrible OP! Cattle boats, large groups, poor DM's, very unsafe practices. I listen to story's in the pool all the time about people experience with them. Have heard 2 first hand near death experiences from the near death facee. DO NOT USE!!!!
2) Hotel is nice, there are no king beds in the place hardly, so just expect 2 doubles.
3) It's a time share OP as well, so just say no to the time share sharks.
4) Food is good. Dinner is different every night. 2 reservation restaurants - no pants required! Both are good. Not The Presidente or The Palace but neither is it as $$$.
5) Beach is great for shore dives if you want to lug your crap to the beach, lug tanks over from Aqua World. We see ppl shore diving there all the time. Not my cup of tea though.....
6) When I stay there I use Papa Hogs. They are a half mile north of the PR and on the water with an actual shore/beach/pier. If say you used them, you can walk your gear down the day you arrive or taxi. Do a shore dive and leave your stuff there. They can then pick you up at the Aqua World pier (costs $5 for a wrist band for a week of using their pier). They will haul/store your gear for the week. Very convenient. I would HIGHLY recommend hiring Aries (he is doing most if not all of their scuba instruction now - American guy who is phenominal at teaching) as a private DM for first day for the new/inexperienced divers. I reccomend this for any op you use actually. Makes the 1st day so much better for everyone!!!

There are lots of ops who will pick you up there and haul your gear - Christi's BlueXTSea, Aldora, Living Underwater, Dive with Martin, etc etc etc. Christi and Aldora would be my top choices though - I use PH as I have been using them since 1997 and I know what to expect and they know me....so it's more a comfort thing for me. PH is not the high end hold your hand catering op like some of the others, but they use small 6-8 pax and I have never had an issue with them. :)

I like the PR as I think it is the BEST bang for the buck on the island that is close enough to town to go in regularly to eat and shop etc. I like watching the cruise ships come and go - they are way cool to watch. The grounds are gorgeous, I like the 3 pools and 3 swim up bars and 2 snack bars etc. It feels bigger than it is - and unlike some of the south properties you dont have to hoof it 1 mile to get to the beach lol.

Go expecting La Quinta Inns and Suites and you will be fine. If you expect the Hyatt Regency....you may not lololol.

Feel free to ask any other Q's.

Wow, that is one of the best descriptions and most informative explanations of a resort I've read in a long time! You can tell you know the place inside and out.

?

Would love to see your pictures. We stayed there the last time we dove CZM and loved it, especially the beach bar and grill immediately after getting off a dive boat (we dove with Deep Blue, and boarded one dock North of the Aqua World dock and didn't have to pay anything).

If (or when) we go back, Park Royal is at the top of our list.

Back
Top Bottom