Patch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What’s the problem with Rescue?
Absolutely nothing.... probably one of the most important recreational courses there is and was one of my favorite courses to teach.. Kudos to you for taking and passing the course.

I've just never seen anyone with a patch on their wetsuit so was curious...

I wouldn't advertise that. In fact, if I saw anyone with that patch I would expect you to jump out of a helicopter, swim 100 meters against the current in 12 foot swells and drag my ass back to land. Coast Guard and Navy divers are Rescue Divers. Those of us with the PADI cert. can do basic assist type stuff and maybe even help get you out of the water but I would not call myself a rescue diver.

By putting on the patch you are also potentially exposing yourself legally. Something happens, you're on the boat but not feeling well enough to help, someone sees the patch and now you're on the lawsuit because you didn't do anything. Or worse, do something and really muck it up. I never tell anyone on the boat what my cert. level is. As far as they know, I'm just an OW diver with some decent buoyancy control.

I’m a Marine Corps veteran and I take pride in anything I do. And I know exactly what you are saying trust me I have done a lot of research. I do appreciate your reply. I have been in training with an expert from Fort Bragg, and I trust him with all aspects of the training.
first of all, @Boot Sessoms - Thank you for your service.
You are free to do as you please with your patch and gear. Unfortunately having a Rescue Diver patch in a charter boat, like others have said, exposes you to liability.

Thank you boot for serving our country and others with your Rescue training. Bound and Jake have good points after from reading a few threads around here, but it is thoughtful to want to help others.

You could also give the mistaken impression you’re a public safety diver to those who don’t know any better.

I think you can do whatever you want and you don't have to ask permission from anyone. But on the other hand, it's not the patches that position you, but your skills. So as someone already asked.... what for?

I’m a Marine Corps veteran and I take pride in anything I do. And I know exactly what you are saying trust me I have done a lot of research. I do appreciate your reply. I have been in training with an expert from Fort Bragg, and I trust him with all aspects of the training.
Dude, if I were you, I'd wear a Marine badge long before a rescue diver patch. Showing that you're a Marine symbolizes a higher sense of duty, obligation, and commitment to your fellow divers than a rescue patch ever could.

I got my rescue training from an instructor for the Saudi Navy. Guy kicked my ass and threw me around underwater like a ragdoll... stripping my mask, regs, fins, BC, etc without letting me rest for a second. I have never felt more comfortable underwater than I did when I was with this sadistic ****.

Frankly, this is the only patches I could ever respect.

1678725409833.png

Put a Marine Corps (ret.) patch on there just above the Rescue patch and nobody will mess with you or expect anything of you beyond the service you already gave for your country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom