Pathetic state of scuba diving magazines ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck Diver Magazine is the only one that I read cover to cover.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 03:39 PM ----------

Wreck Diver Magazine is the only one that I read cover to cover.

Actually it is Wreck DIVING Magazine

I stopped subscribing to anything but Alert Diver and just pick up the free dive rags at my dive shop. Of course I like California Diving News, but it is region-specific.

I stopped subscribing to anything but Alert Diver and just pick up the free dive rags at my dive shop. Of course I like California Diving News, but it is region-specific.

I picked up this magazine called California Diver and was surprised to see that even though it was region specific, there was actually things to read. I do not know whether California has enough diving diversity to sustain an ongoing magazine but that particular issue was much better that sport diver.

As a new diver, I want to learn as much as I can about this sport. So magazines like Dive Training and DAN's Alert Diver help me with this. I also like Wreck Diving Magazine. The others just look like glorified travel and gear brochures and talk about equipment and destinations I'll probably never be able to afford. I find I learn quite a bit just from all these types of discussions on Scubaboard, too!

I stopped subscribing to SCUBA magazines a long time ago (with the exception of DAN's Alert Diver) but do read the ones I get free from my LDS like Dive Training and California Diving News.

Austral Asia Diver magazine

I find I learn quite a bit just from all these types of discussions on Scubaboard, too!

Scubaboard is a great source of information and entertainment. Just be sure to filter the advice. Dive information from peers is a lot like sex information from high school peers. It is not always accurate, but it is more graphic and interesting than you will ever get from the teachers :D(at least in most cases).

In 1951, the genesis of recreational diving, there was only one dive magazine; "SKIN DIVER MAGAZINE; a magazine for spearfishermen and skin divers." (The word SCUBA was not in common usage for a number of years) This magazine was classified in the publishing industry as a sports publication.

After about ten years it was sold and a new editor was installed who discovered and almost single handed established the infant industry of dive travel. As other magazines came into being they followed the same blue print. Now almost all dive magazines are considered as travel magazines.

However, there are a few dive magazine that are still considered and identified as sports or specialty publications, but they are few in number and that number is rapidly dwindling, alto soon all dive magazines will possibly need to morph into travel publications to attract readers and their very survival.

SDM

I remember Skin Diver, when I saw anything below a stellar review,I woassuiwas a piece of crap gear. The problem was it was the only game in town. The internet provides much moreuseful information than most other dive mags. I do enjoy Dive Training & North East Diving magazines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom