Pathetic state of scuba diving magazines ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without any supporting statistics, my perception is that most divers are recreational divers. Recreational hobbyists usually seek out the latest pretty, shinny, exciting trend.

Requires too much effort from a hobbyist or requires the serious approach of a professional. Magazines are in business to make money, like every other business. Thus they cater to the hobbyist.

I think Insta-Gator is using way too broad of a brush to paint the recreational diver as some sort of shallow thinking, inept, and lazy loser . His comments above are both arrogant and absurd. The vast majority of recreational divers I know take their "hobby" very seriously, and continully strive to increase their knowledge and skill levels as they progress from novice to expert divers. There is not doubt that there are recreational divers that do not read anything or work to increase their knowledge level, but I think that category of diver is a small minority. Also, not every "professional" diver approaches their profession with the same degree of interest, thirst for knowledge, dedication or motivation as most of the newest divers. I have no doubt that most experienced divers have seen instructors and DMs that were not worth a damn at their jobs, and just seem to want to do the bare minimum to collect their paycheck.

I would have to agree with some of the people above that the two best print magazines out there right now are Aler Diver from DAN and Dive Training. Both have very interesting and pertinent articles and avoid the shameless advertisements that are presented as articles.

I quit getting Scuba Diving mag several years ago.

Every year it's the same thing. They do articles on the same destinations and them pump advertisers from those areas.

Then their gear reviews are the same every year, and always the same "big name advertisers"

It's just not worth bothering to read even if it's free anymore.

I would have to agree with some of the people above that the two best print magazines out there right now are Aler Diver from DAN and Dive Training. Both have very interesting and pertinent articles and avoid the shameless advertisements that are presented as articles.

When I got certified 10 years ago the comments from experienced divers then was the same about the mainstream dive mags. I feel the same way now, but I did enjoy them for the first 5-6 years. I have subscribed to Wreck Diving Magazine for the last 5 years.

Sinbad,

You are correct. I did not renew my PADI mag for the first time this year. For "readable" stuff I go to Dive Training. I also like Midwest Dive News(now called something else) for the artcles on local dives sites. I prefer to read about places I can easily dive in Texas, Fla, Ohio or PA.

A trip to Fiji would be great, but is not in my budget. Some mags seemed to be geared to places most of us won't be able to visit. IMHO.

When I can "find" a copy of the specialized magazine PADI sends to dive shops, I read/enjoy that.

Oddly, I get alot out of reading the dive manufacturer's catalogs.

[For] serious journalism, accident analysis, case studies, diving medicine, discovery of new dive sites and how to dive them etc,
Can anyone please recommend a good diving magazine?

Alert Diver has all this with spectacular pictures,.......... and a subscription comes with free insurance.

I miss the the scuba newspaper

Dive training and dan magazine seems to be good, the padi one I Dont like it lots of crap..

Back
Top Bottom