Patima housing for G9...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used the Patima housing and I find it far superior to any other housing for the powerful canon G9. The depth rating alone is pretty amazing, but if you consider that you can set up the housing so that you can directly connect the strobe system of your choice and also wet-mount wide angle and macro external lenses, it blows the competition away. Did I mention that the whole housing is made of precision machined metal? How about the look, scroll up and look at the pictures, this system is bad &%$, I urge you to give it a try or at least a look. We started carrying them at my store on maui and all the local dive guides are switching over to them. It's the best point and shoot system on the market at this time!

The Canon housing is nice for a first housing and if you are fine with slave strobes and the Ikelite is nice if you already use Ikelite strobes and enjoy Ikelite equipment. (The Ikelite 67mm threaded Wide Angle Conversion lens doesn't really work with the setup for those of you who own that lens.)

The only negative I have seen or read about is the fact that the latch system is pretty harsh at times and I have even read about people getting cuts from it. I have found that the problem disappears if you use the Patima handle/strobe mounting system for either a single or a double strobe setup. As long as you are careful the metal latch system doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact the old latch system reminds me of the old Aquatica housings.

personal preference; I like clear housing; consider ikelite & canon housing; i use canon housing with no issues what so ever. after all the popular the housing the easier you can find replacement parts like Orings, grease ...etc.

Good points! I like the Canon housing too and it works just fine with no problems whatsoever. The Patima just offers more options if that is what you are into.

I ordered my G9 w/ the Patima Housing and the Inon Wide Angle Lens on Friday from my local photo shop and they indicated they would have it for me on Tuesday.

I went with the Patima Housing because of how solid it is, it's size, the dual ports and the depth rating. I dive a closed circuit rebreather and often do technical wreck diving deeper than the rating on most housings. I plan to use it with my dual Inon-240 Strobes.

I've also heard great things about the G9, which for the money, seems like a very capable camera.

I'm looking forward to picking mine up and getting it wet, hopefully I'll be shooting pictures by next weekend with it!

I own the Patima housing and love it .
The quality is even better than the one of my housing for the Nikon D80.
The only fact that's negative it's that it is a little heavy underwater , as I'm a woman it's sometimes hard to carry , especially with the Inon wide angle and more with the Inon dome , I did put two buyoancy arm to hold my flashes and things are really better like that
You don't need to zoom underwater , you just need to add macro lense to shoot macro , and it's work perfectly well with the short port .
In fact you can zoom a little even with the small port .
The long port is in fact not very useful with this housing as you can use easily all kind of lense with the small port.

Here is a link for some pictures I did make to Palau , in May , I've still put it On scubaboard but cannot remember where ..and I apologize if somebody have still see them
PALAU 2008 - a set on Flickr

Hope it's help

The only fact that's negative it's that it is a little heavy underwater , as I'm a woman it's sometimes hard to carry , especially with the Inon wide angle and more with the Inon dome , I did put two buyoancy arm to hold my flashes and things are really better like that
You don't need to zoom underwater , you just need to add macro lense to shoot macro , and it's work perfectly well with the short port .
The long port is in fact not very useful with this housing as you can use easily all kind of lense with the small port.

Here is a link for some pictures I did make to Palau , in May , I've still put it On scubaboard but cannot remember where ..and I apologize if somebody have still see them

Hope it's help

The jellyfish shot is simply amazing!!! If I were you, I would frame it and put it up in your living room.

I understand that you do not feel as though the long port is very useful, but I sometimes do enjoy shooting extreme macro photography of very small subjects, so I do see myself using the long port with the closeup lenses added to it.

I'll certainly share some pictures once I get the system in the water.

A question for any Patima owners - I like the look of this a lot, but I am keen not to use external strobes, and accept the limitations of just using the internal G9 flash.

Do any of the ports significantly block this from reaching any parts of the picture? If not, then how about with a macro wet lens attached?

On the pictures above, it doesnt appear there is any clear space in the front of the housing to fire the flash through? Or am I wasting my time and money with a Patima housing if I don't pair it up with a decent strobe?

I know what you mean about the overall underwater weight of system, but that appears to be a problem that occurs with any aluminum housing with dual strobes. I put 4 small buoyancy floatation aids on my arms, instead of using the buoyancy arms, because I already owned the ULCS arms and didn't want to have to repurchase new arms, and it really seemed to help.

Hope it's help

I dove with my system Saturday for the first time and completed two night dives. I used the long port and also took both Inon 165M67 Close-up lenses with me. Since it was my first dive, I was just testing my system, but I like the results I got using the long port and shooting close-up shots!

Here's a few shots I got with the long port and the close-up lenses:

This shot of a small Queen Anglefish I took with the long port and not close-up lenses.
Mercedes_-_Tracy_06-28-2008_006a-Resized.jpg

This shot of a 2" to 3" or 6cm to 8cm Slender Filefish I took with the long port and one close-up lens.
Mercedes_-_Tracy_06-28-2008_019a-Resized.jpg

This shot of an approximately 3/4" or 2cm in length Red Reef Hermit in a shell I took with the long port and two stacked close-up lenses.
Mercedes_-_Tracy_06-28-2008_071-Resized.jpg

This extreme close-up shot of a dime size or 1.5cm diameter section of Orange Cup Coral I took with the long port and both stacked close-up lenses.
Mercedes_-_Tracy_06-28-2008_045a-Resized.jpg

Consequently, I think you should give the long port a shot, especially when combined with Inon close-up lenses.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom