Pattaya Vs. Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apecks,

Congratulations! Don't forget to change your Status... I'll be doing some DSAT training with them in July. Any interest?

Thanks all for the advice. Checking out a few different operators, and going for a dive with them before deciding does not sound like a bad idea. The only thing that worries me a bit about doing this is finding a vacancy?! Even if we are going in peak season (probably February) do you think most shops will have availability to take on two individuals for DM with only a couple of days notice?

Many shops may be able to take two DM trainees at a moments notice but I would probably reconsider going with those that can.

I would be slightly suspicious of any dive school that suggests they can offer a high quality Divemaster course at the drop of a hat like that. Maybe a very busy one with lots of instructors might be able to put something together.

We run only two Divemaster intakes a year because it allows us to provide a structured schedule of education & lectures over two 10 week periods between November & March. The lectures & training sessions are assigned to dates which have been fixed well in advance (there is some flexibility with respect to student illnesses). Our 2010-11 programs have been recently published and we would not be able to accommodate a couple of DM trainees at a moment's notice (not that you would want to learn with us anyway as the night life on our island would probably not match your requirements)

Even if we are going in peak season (probably February) do you think most shops will have availability to take on two individuals for DM with only a couple of days notice?

A fully functional dive center who specializes in diver education should most certainly be able to accommodate you, even at a couple of days notice.

Hope you have a great course!

Many shops may be able to take two DM trainees at a moments notice but I would probably reconsider going with those that can.

I would be slightly suspicious of any dive school that suggests they can offer a high quality Divemaster course at the drop of a hat like that. Maybe a very busy one with lots of instructors might be able to put something together.

We run only two Divemaster intakes a year because it allows us to provide a structured schedule of education & lectures over two 10 week periods between November & March. The lectures & training sessions are assigned to dates which have been fixed well in advance (there is some flexibility with respect to student illnesses). Our 2010-11 programs have been recently published and we would not be able to accommodate a couple of DM trainees at a moment's notice (not that you would want to learn with us anyway as the night life on our island would probably not match your requirements)

Personally from the reverse point of view I would be more concerned at doing my training at a DC that only runs two DM courses per year. Why only two per year?
This would suggest to me that not too many, or a limited variety of courses are being conducted at the DC. In which case, would there be a sufficient ammount of customers coming through the DC to give me a good experience whilst doing my training. Learning with a bigger variety of instructors, different courses and different customers will enable you to gain a broader base of experience from your course.
And yes Ringo, you are exactly right, certainly the DC's in the Pattaya area that I have experience of would, if not the next day, certainly within a couple of days be able to start a DM course.
Another thing to bear in mind is that a busy DC that has many instructors and a big customer base, Whilst it would not necesarilly provide the best conditions for a diving customer, or those doing entry level courses. For those wishing to become serious dive professionals and are Doing such as the DM course or above, such a DC can quite often provide the best conditions for doing such training.
When doing such courses it is not all about what you see underwater, its about the end result of your training that matters. That is of course if the motivation behind doing the course is to actually work in the industry.

Personally from the reverse point of view I would be more concerned at doing my training at a DC that only runs two DM courses per year. Why only two per year?
This would suggest to me that not too many, or a limited variety of courses are being conducted at the DC. In which case, would there be a sufficient ammount of customers coming through the DC to give me a good experience whilst doing my training. Learning with a bigger variety of instructors, different courses and different customers will enable you to gain a broader base of experience from your course.
And yes Ringo, you are exactly right, certainly the DC's in the Pattaya area that I have experience of would, if not the next day, certainly within a couple of days be able to start a DM course.
Another thing to bear in mind is that a busy DC that has many instructors and a big customer base, Whilst it would not necesarilly provide the best conditions for a diving customer, or those doing entry level courses. For those wishing to become serious dive professionals and are Doing such as the DM course or above, such a DC can quite often provide the best conditions for doing such training.
When doing such courses it is not all about what you see underwater, its about the end result of your training that matters. That is of course if the motivation behind doing the course is to actually work in the industry.

Yes LK and thanks for your contrarian point of view. Your provisional conclusions are fair and I hope I can address them satisfactorily.

We run two per year for a number of reasons. Firstly we have a short season running from November until May. Our Divemaster Internships are for a minimum of two months. This period is extended for anybody doing any courses preceding the Divemaster Internship. We ARE a small dive operation and do not have the human resources (6 dive professionals next season) to run multiple overlapping courses where our Interns receive adequate attention from a number of different Dive Instructors. As such there is only time for us to provide two high quality Internship programs during any twelve month period.

We have sufficient customers coming through for training purposes. Last season our DM Interns assisted in DSDs, Open Water, Advanced & Rescue Courses. There were not many specs taught but from my experience this is quite normal in Thailand. Additionally, our Interns completed about 30 dives in the Surin Islands & Richelieu Rock.

Clearly professional courses are not all about what you see underwater and we are primarily motivated to provide top class education through our Divemaster Internships. Having only one Internship program running at any one time means that our dive school can focus on that particular group of trainees. Our interns do not feel like fragmented outcasts at the fringes of some large dive operations; rather they are at the core of our training schedule.

As is the case for anyone doing this course in tropical waters, it will not prepare them for guiding in cold & unfamiliar conditions. However, our interns do have to face strong currents at Surin & Richelieu and we periodically have low visibility to contend with at our local sites. Nevertheless, I would continue to advise that all Divemaster graduates stay within the limits of their training, gaining extensive experience in new environments before actually working in those places.

Aside from the Divemaster orientated training our internships are aimed at candidates who have a specific desire to learn about marine ecology. We have a 'Beautiful Oceans' Instructor and an experienced marine biologist on staff who actively get involved with teaching our interns about the marine life in the area. We also run a week long coral reef restoration module at the end of each internship.

Consequently our Internship program is absolutely not for everyone. When a poster e.g. Bermuda Blue express an interest in a broader social scene then I prefer to deter them than to encourage them. (We only have Mr.Chuoi's Bar. This is enough for us). However, for some individuals our Divemaster Internship is more suitable than any other in Thailand. There are not many (if any) dive centres in the country that offer unlimited diving directly from their beachfront shop AND diving at Richelieu Rock....

...or maybe since we are unwilling to offer a Divemaster course at the drop of a hat then we are not a fully functional dive centre :rofl3:

Apecks,

Congratulations! Don't forget to change your Status... I'll be doing some DSAT training with them in July. Any interest?

Thanks. I will do after i remeber how to change it :D

I have already started my DSAT Tec 50 with them and I must say they are a step above my previous tech training I did down in Koh Tao

You mjss the point Surinboy. It is quite clear in your post:

Why on earth would you reconsider? Are you saying most DC's here are incompetent? Sounds like it to me.

Because you operate on a limited seasonal basis does not necessarily mean that other DC's who are geared to operate throughout the year are not capable of conducting decent and thorough DM courses at the drop of a hat.

Why be so suspicious of those DCs (who are in a totally different situation than you are in) and can readily offer pro courses? Does not say much for the Diving Industry as a whole in Thailand, does it? :confused:

Apecks,

Glad to see you and Apecks getting some technical dive training.

My opinion is that the quality of the technical training is more dependent upon the specific instructor and less dependent upon the dive shop or cert agency.

Will the two of you be ready to come along next April on a deep wreck diving trip with me on the MV Trident?

John

Thanks. I will do after i remeber how to change it :D

I have already started my DSAT Tec 50 with them and I must say they are a step above my previous tech training I did down in Koh Tao

Glad to hear your back at it and on track.

John

Hi BermudaBlue,

When it comes to choosing Phuket or Pattaya, there are things in favor of both to consider. However, you need not limit your Pattaya choices to Mermaid's, as we at Aquanauts are also a PADI 5-Star Career Development Center and our internships are not only lower priced than Mermaid's, but offer more in each package. The link to our program is below.

Regarding which city to go: Phuket hands down would win as far as quality of the actual dive conditions. Especially if you get out in the Similans during the early part of the year you'll be experiencing some of the best diving in the world, not only Thailand.

This I think would be the deciding factor if you were only going for a short holiday or just for fun diving. However, you've indicated you want to do a professional Divemaster internship. In that case, the quality of the dive is less important than the quality of the instruction and the format of the internship.

As the pioneers of internships in Thailand, both we at Aquanauts and Mermaid's have had time to create the best-organized, most all-inclusive and seamless multi-month training programs available. With Aquanauts, we have two programs -- the Aquanauts Complete and Aquanauts Value internships -- designed for people of any budget level.

The "Complete" internship, which is most akin to what Mermaid's offers, includes full private accommodations right near the training center, a full set of equipment (if needed) that's your to keep, all your required courses plus 10 additional courses (note that that is more than in the Mermaids offering), job placement, all your fees, visa assistance, airport transfers... the works. It really is as described: Complete.

While centers in Phuket do offer similar training packages, they are not as seamless and all-inclusive, with accommodations often left out. The reason for that is cost: Phuket accommodations (and most things actually) cost a good deal more than in Pattaya.

Your overall cost of living those two months in Pattaya will be 30-40% less than in Phuket, which should also factor into your decision.

Finally, the very thing that makes Pattaya unattractive for holiday fun divers vs. Phuket is actually a plus when it comes to professional training. In Pattaya you'll have days where there are ripping currents and near-zero visibility. That's just the kind of challenging conditions that will challenge you and push your skills. You definitely will leave Pattaya fluent in compass use, a trait sorely lacking in many DMs that train in areas with always-good viz.

Also note that Pattaya's local U-Tapao airport has direct service to both Phuket and Samui (Koh Tao) so you can easily zip down to those areas for some nice fun dives then resume your serious training when you return here.

Again, consider what your goal is: If you want to become a strong DM, you want a variety of conditions that will make you the best you can be. If you want to simply have fun, then choose the best quality dives.

If you do choose Phuket, I would also strongly recommend Scuba Cat as your best choice there.

Feel free to PM or call us using our free telephone lines on our website.

Back
Top Bottom