Pay Rates for DMs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guerosd

Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is the average pay that a Dive Master receives? Is this an hourly function, a per trip?

A buddy and I were thinking about getting our DM with the thought that we might actually be able to make enough on weekends to pay for all the damn gear we keep buyin. I'd be happy to breakeven!

Expanding on that... rates for a Assistant instructor and/or an instructor??

I have some swamp land here in Florida to sell youl... :tease: I have gotten a few -very few- free dives, but that has been it.

If getting a few free dives as a DM isn't enough, later you can become an instructor and start paying again.

:rofL:

Pay? Enough to break even on your diving habit? :rolling:

Uh, in short no, you can't make enough to pay for all your dive trinkets.

A good pay setup working for a resort as a full time job usually comes with a per excursion and/or per diver pay. Exact pay structures depend upon whether there is an afternoon trip. Night dives are usually for additional pay. You may also get a sales commission on gear sales.

It enough so that a DM working hard can usually make a meager living. Supporting a family would be tough. Many DMs have second (and third) jobs to fill in the time off from the dive shop.

:rofL: That's a good one!

Seriously...After you've reached the point where you no longer need any gear, the small store discount won't count for much, the free air fills are about the only pay you'll receive.

If we go out of town for the weekend for class checkout dives, the Instructor uaually buys our dinner one night. Other than that, we pay all expenses.

Don't know what the pay is, if any, for working as DM on a charter boat but I doubt it's very much.

:hmmm: Hmmmmm I think it does..

Lets see: zero + zero = free dive gear:grad:

Sounds pretty durn technical to me.. Or at least a New Math problem.

:rofL:

DM + diving = tons of fun

It just dont get no better than that!

Dave

:rolleyes: So much for that little fantasy..... I guess I'll just have to continue to invent new reasons to explain to my wife why the American Express bill is so high this month.

Originally posted by guerosd
why the American Express bill is so high this month.

While you're at it come up with excuses for this as an annual event...
And then a bi-annual event....
And then a quarterly event....
And then when it is every month she will think it is normal....
And if you stay with it...
It will be....:D

Good chuckle you gave me.

Sure with one shop I get paid for DM activities (scuba reviews, snorkle lessons, confined and OW dives),get a discount, free air, and typically a free ride on boat charters where I am the DM for a class -- but I certainly won't make enough (in this life time) to pay for my gear. Other shops aren't that generous - just offering free air and discounts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom