Paying for the privilege of working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why complain about it. Anybody that doesn't want to be paid little or nothing to be a divemaster or instructor doesn't have to do it. I haven't seen too many trying to sneak away at night. I think there are a lot of people that would like to be able to just survive doing what they like to do. Most can't.

Unfortunately, I agree. A good comparison I like to offer is a classical (or any) musician trying to make a go of it doing just what they like doing (without a "day" job). Remember people telling you in H.S. that "If you find a job/career you love, you'll never work a day in your life". ?? Well, first of all, I don't believe that's true--you'll work even if you love your job. Second, I wonder how many work at jobs they really like? But those jobs may pay off way better than scuba or music when you get to be my age.

Unfortunately, I agree. A good comparison I like to offer is a classical (or any) musician trying to make a go of it doing just what they like doing (without a "day" job). Remember people telling you in H.S. that "If you find a job/career you love, you'll never work a day in your life". ?? Well, first of all, I don't believe that's true--you'll work even if you love your job. Second, I wonder how many work at jobs they really like? But those jobs may pay off way better than scuba or music when you get to be my age.

Kind of nice when there is something you like to do that also pays. My dad says he has been retired since 1954, doing just what he wants to do, raising fruit. He is still at it in his mid 80's. I can't imagine not having a shop to fix things in. And people pay me to do it! I sometimes talk to people and when I ask them what they do for a living they don't even want to talk about it. They can't wait to retire. Kind of sad, but many of them will have a lot better pension than I will! Honestly, as much as I like diving, if I had to do it 9 hours a day, I'd rather fix stuff. So being a DM or an instructor could only be a means of owning my own dive shop, and I think you will find that dive shop owners often pay for that privilege also. They do it more because they want to than for the money. I have been an employer for over 30 years and the best thing I can think of would be to be able to pay my employees a lot of money. Then I could pick the very best. Unfortunately I have to pay the bills and make a living and create that pension that others receive from their employer. I think dive shop owners are probably in the same boat.

I think folks need to separate out the education component from the internship component. I tried to find the PADI info on their site but could not. Here is what I recall from another:

http://www.deansdivecenter.com/sites/default/files/divemastercourse.pdf

When I did my DM course work we went through all the classroom requirements and then spent some time at our local lake doing the field requirements. That was what we paid to learn. At that point I think we had six months to complete an internship to obtain our card. In my case it was working with other instructors at our University program. So over the next few months I went out and worked along side the instructors and DMs gaining practical experience. I think I participated in an OW course and an AOW course. In both cases it was the full course - classroom, pool, and checkout dives. Done.

The programs that many are looking at combine the education and internship thus it would appear in some cases one is paying to work. Further, what one operator expects from an internship versus another can vary greatly. I think many of these programs are trying to allow potential DM a range of opportunities thus they spend 4-8 weeks interning. Probably the best aspect of this thread is for people to think about the program. Especially the bit about making any money. I figured that when I was active I needed to work one course a year to pay for my insurance and dues. The second course paid for my diving. Compared to many others that is pretty good.

I think folks need to separate out the education component from the internship component. I tried to find the PADI info on their site but could not. Here is what I recall from another:

http://www.deansdivecenter.com/sites/default/files/divemastercourse.pdf

When I did my DM course work we went through all the classroom requirements and then spent some time at our local lake doing the field requirements. That was what we paid to learn. At that point I think we had six months to complete an internship to obtain our card. In my case it was working with other instructors at our University program. So over the next few months I went out and worked along side the instructors and DMs gaining practical experience. I think I participated in an OW course and an AOW course. In both cases it was the full course - classroom, pool, and checkout dives. Done.

The programs that many are looking at combine the education and internship thus it would appear in some cases one is paying to work. Further, what one operator expects from an internship versus another can vary greatly. I think many of these programs are trying to allow potential DM a range of opportunities thus they spend 4-8 weeks interning. Probably the best aspect of this thread is for people to think about the program. Especially the bit about making any money. I figured that when I was active I needed to work one course a year to pay for my insurance and dues. The second course paid for my diving. Compared to many others that is pretty good.

I agree with all you say. In fact, that is how I look at it regarding pay. First class covers dues/insurance, maybe even some gas. Next one covers diving costs--with some $ left over (with perks & "cheap" shore diving). After that, some profit. My DM course was also similar to yours. I think the issues are how long an internship lasts--some apparently last long enough to get into the "free labour" idea. A certain amount of internship is good, but with a lot of jobs the real learning begins when you are out on your own (and getting paid). Then as I mentioned, there are the certified DMs who work basically for free.

Back
Top Bottom