PDC in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmarc68

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for advice. My family would like to take a trip to PDC this year as a group. Usually when we do this, we go in the early or late summer. However, due to schedules we all can't go until October. Some have been to PDC in October before, and say the weather was fine, but my concern is hurrican season. Has anyone traveled there that time of year?

Thanks for your help,

Pam

I would travel as late in oct as you possibly can...Sept/early oct very rainy by avg and yes Hurricane season...Remember Ivan. Middle Sept last year, missed us by 90 miles. Or you can get lucky and have great weather. Just depends on the forces above....

My husband and I have been going to PDC in early October for the past 3 years (and booked again this year) - it's our anniversary trip. That being said - we keep our fingers crossed each year, watch the tropical weather websites and take out travel insurance. We've lucked out so far, but I know our luck will run out at some point.

If you check the PDC weather reports at that time of year, it typically shows partially cloudy skies and rain every day - but as long as it's not hurricane-related, it turns out to be a 10 minute rain shower every afternoon, and then the sun returns. Last year, we had quite a few late night rain storms, but they cleared up by mid-morning at the absolute latest (usually the skies were clear by the time we left our room, and we're early risers).

If you do travel to PDC in October, do yourself a favor (for your peace of mind) and take out travel insurance. Make sure that it's the type of insurance that'll let you cancel for ANY reason - not just for illness, airline cancellations due to bad weather, etc. That way, if you see a hurricane that's almost certainly headed for the area but it isn't hitting in time to cancel your flight, you can still choose to cancel if you want. Traveling to PDC at that time of year is definitely a gamble, but it it works out, the weather can be wonderful (plus, the rates are less expensive and the people are fewer..)

Thanks for your responses. It does make me nervous, but I also like the less expensive, less people thing. I definitely would do the travel insurance, so thanks for renforcing that point.

Thanks Everyone,

Pam

I went to PDC last September for 2 weeks. We only had one day of rain the entire time, but it was torrential. Of course, a couple of hurricanes passed us by, and I feel that we got lucky. It could have been worse.

By the 3rd week of October you're usually clear of major storms although you may have astraggler day or two of rain here and there. Its hit and miss. We usually go the last Thursday of October into the first Thursday of November.

Back
Top Bottom