PDC or COZ ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel is by far much better diving. That said I had some enjoyable dives in Playa. I dove with a guy in Playa last year that had been going there for years. He was a very good diver. He had never dove in Cozumel, his wife wouldn't let him be gone long enough and he was content with it. He didn't know what he was missing.
That reminds me. A group of us were hanging out at Dirty Martinis in PDC last month, drinking and sharing dive stories. A guy next to us at the bar jumped in to the conversation with some advice he thought we needed (we didn't). He turned out to be a Dutch DM who has been living/diving/teaching in PDC for 10+ years. He loves the PDC reefs. He thought it was too much effort/cost/trouble to ferry over to Cozumel for "different" diving. We agreed to disagree.

To me, it's like choosing between having dinner at 7-11 or Fogo de Chao. Yes, you can technically eat at 7-11, but why?

The people watching is much better in Playa unless you are into balloon hats.
PDC seems to be more of a party town, and with more Europeans - not that there's anything wrong with them. Just different. I guess since no airline flies non-stop from anywhere in Europe to Coz, flying to Cancun and busing to PDC is enough work.

Coz diving is much better diving than PdC, it's a whole different game! I'd suggest spending all your time in Coz unless there are other reasons to keep you in PdC. We occasionally stay at AI's in the Riviera Maya but only when it is a big family event with non-divers. I'll sneak off and do some cenote dives but don't waste my time diving 'reefs' in PdC. I don't think you are ready for cenotes until you get some more dive experience. I actually got certified by Dressel at the Barcelo' Palace AI in the Riviera Maya. At the time I thought they were okay, didn't realize how much I didn't know until I got AOW cert by a Coz DM. Take advantage of your AOW training time with a quality DM. You might get a qualified DM with Dressel but many of their DM are fresh off their training program. Cheap is the wrong reason to choose Dressel for your AOW training. As mentioned by others, the competition in Coz produces a good quality product in DM's and Dive OP's.

Cozumel is by far much better diving. That said I had some enjoyable dives in Playa. I dove with a guy in Playa last year that had been going there for years. He was a very good diver. He had never dove in Cozumel, his wife wouldn't let him be gone long enough and he was content with it. He didn't know what he was missing.

The people watching is much better in Playa unless you are into balloon hats.

I have enjoyed my PDC dives as well. This is a Coz forum but I think PDC is not really getting a fair shake. You do not have the mountainous coral but in terms of number of fish, I've seen massive schools of fish in PDC that I've never seen in Coz. I would still rate Coz better overall but PDC is much better than the local diving for most Americans. As you said, that diver had been going to Playa for years so he was presumably quite happy with it and ultimately isn't that what really counts?

Well due to all the feed back here I think COZ (for me) it is!!! At least for 3 days then over to PDC for beach time (for her)..good compromise I guess. Think were gonna skip the AOW course too for now and just enjoy the sights and get some more experience under us and enjoy. Looking at ScubaTony, Aldora, Blue XTC and Tres Pelicanos...any one better for NOVICE divers? AKA...were not gonna drag everyone else down to our level. The last thing I want is to be the newbies on the boat with seasoned pros and have them dive our dive sites as opposed to something more technical...Or the opposite get tossed into a situation that my partner may not be ready for. I can "compartmentalize" much better and she can sometimes get anxious...

ScubaTony, Aldora, Blue XTC and Tres Pelicanos...any one better for NOVICE divers?
All good Ops, along with dozens of others on the island. It's hard to go wrong with so much competition, except you're good to avoid the cattleboats. Many of us have our favorites here, dozens of them, but you'll be fine with any of those listed.

...AKA...were not gonna drag everyone else down to our level. The last thing I want is to be the newbies on the boat with seasoned pros and have them dive our dive sites as opposed to something more technical...Or the opposite get tossed into a situation that my partner may not be ready for. I can "compartmentalize" much better and she can sometimes get anxious...

I wouldn't worry about it all that much. While it is true that ops do not want to throw divers into situations for which they are not ready, all the dive sites are beautiful and most divers I have met on Cozumel boats do not mind sometimes diving the less advanced sites.

This is a good thread. I've often wondered about the quality of diving in PDC.

I would concur with DandyDon and ggunn about your dive op choices. I would add that you may want to tell them that you are a bit on the novice side so that they're aware before you go out. Another option, although not really required, would be to hire a private DM for your first day or 2 at any one of the ops you're considering. Might increase the comfort factor.

AKA...were not gonna drag everyone else down to our level. The last thing I want is to be the newbies on the boat with seasoned pros and have them dive our dive sites as opposed to something more technical...
I live here in the winter and so dive a lot of sites over and over again. Unless you are diving with a boat that makes everyone surface together, as soon as the first person is low on air, you should be good. Make sure that is factored into your research. I particularly don't care if you go up early (it DOES usually mean that the DM has his SMB up so is now moving along at a faster clip than would be the case otherwise, so I have to be more diligent about keeping him in sight). I don't care if I don't dive to 130 feet today.

For those reasons, I never try and add my 2 cents worth of opinion about where to dive because I am perfectly happy diving pretty much wherever (I have about 2 "don't ask me to go there, ever " sites on my list). You can dive the same site over and over and over again and there is always something new or interesting or different to look at. Don't worry about holding back more experienced divers on the boat. As long as you are honest about your abilities, that is for the ops to figure out.

Another option, although not really required, would be to hire a private DM for your first day or 2 at any one of the ops you're considering.
Yep, also a very good idea. I usually suggest that to first timers to Coz in addition to my other suggestion. I forgot that one, oops.
Got DAN dive insurance? Got trip insurance? Got Swimmers Ear liquid medicine? All are essential in my opinion. Use the drops early and often. If you wait until you get swimmers ear, it'll be too late for those drops and time to see a doctor. I try to avoid those, altho I like getting my teeth cleaned while in Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom