(Penetration) Wreck Diving With Single Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenut2001

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A LDS I know is going to be conducting a Wreck Diving Penetration Course using single 80cf tanks. From everything I've read about entering overhead environments this is "not" a good idea. Also they will not be using long hoses or carrying any additional tanks with them. I have decided "not" to take this course. Comments please!

divenut2001:
A LDS I know is going to be conducting a Wreck Diving Penetration Course using single 80cf tanks. From everything I've read about entering overhead environments this is "not" a good idea. Also they will not be using long hoses or carrying any additional tanks with them. I have decided "not" to take this course. Comments please!

I seriously hope they are joking about this!

BigJetDriver69:
I seriously hope they are joking about this!

Depends on the course? Is it actually a Wreck Penetration Course or a Wreck specialty course.

I know of far too many LDS that do the Wreck Specialty Course on single tanks. In fact I dont know of any around here that utilise twins or stage tanks, not to mention a long hose.
Unfortunately it's the Recreational LDS mindset.

Personally, I never go into an overhead on a single.

I don't mind penetrating an overhead environment on a single!!

Of course, that would be a steel 120 or 130 with an "H" manifold, and a sling tank. :D

While there are no absolutes... and there are limited "penetrations" that are in my opinion within the bounds of single tank/single regulator diving (relatively shallow, short swim-throughs, for example), in general it isn't a good idea to go inside a wreck without redundant gas. Before slamming the course you mention I'd need to see the specifics, but on the surface of your description I agree you're wise to stay away from it.
Rick

Azza:
Depends on the course? Is it actually a Wreck Penetration Course or a Wreck specialty course.

I know of far too many LDS that do the Wreck Specialty Course on single tanks. In fact I dont know of any around here that utilise twins or stage tanks, not to mention a long hose.
Unfortunately it's the Recreational LDS mindset.

Personally, I never go into an overhead on a single.

I specifically asked if it was a penetratation class after which I was told they would be using 80cf tanks. When I expressed my concern on the use of such small tanks I was told they do it all the time. I'm just not sure who "they" is. I don't think they will be carrying even so much as a pony bottle.

I have dove many wrecks with a single tank but all were non penetration dives. On those I stay very conservative and allow for plenty of air for the return. Due to time and depth requirements I just don't see how it's possible to do a penetration dive on a single tank and have air left for the return and SS.

So don't take the class. I'm sure if it's is/like the PADI Wreck Specialty, diving a single tank is fine....with me, and the agency lawyers, and the instructor, and the LDS. I doubt you'll be "penetrating" in the manner that you might be trying to imply, but what do I know.

divenut2001:
I specifically asked if it was a penetratation class after which I was told they would be using 80cf tanks. When I expressed my concern on the use of such small tanks I was told they do it all the time. I'm just not sure who "they" is. I don't think they will be carrying even so much as a pony bottle.

I have dove many wrecks with a single tank but all were non penetration dives. On those I stay very conservative and allow for plenty of air for the return. Due to time and depth requirements I just don't see how it's possible to do a penetration dive on a single tank and have air left for the return and SS.

I can't speak for any other agencies but the PADI Wreck Specialty course involves 4 wreck dives, with dive 4 being an optional penetration. PADI adheres to the RSTC limits by imposing a 40 metre to the surface "linear" penetration. This means that if the wreck is sitting in 30 metres you can only penetrate 10 metres into the wreck, easy enough to still dive to thirds. OTOH if it is sitting in 10 metres you can do a 30 metre penetration, even easier to stay within thirds
I have to be honest and say I have done maybe 50 penetration dives under those limits on a single tank, but not for a few years now. Basically since I learnt to dive doubles I havn't done a single wreck or cavern penetration on a single.

I prefer to know that if Murphy decides to come diving with me that I have another option on my back as opposed to relying on my team members to save my bacon. Not that my buddy/team members couldn't but why task load more than you have to?

Back
Top Bottom