People ignoring dcs symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
Its me again (OW novice) .Some of the symptoms of dcs (weakness,joint pain) can easily be attributed to pre existing conditions or fatigue.

How common is it for people after the dive to play down their symptoms ("I'll be ok, its nothing" ) on the boat ride back,

Or the opposite for that matter, someone with a too tight mask or fins asking for oxygen cause they are bent.

Thx
B

No one can speak for people"generally," and the only valid responses to your question will be those of personal experience. In my experience, symptoms are usually spoken of and reported by divers. I cannot think of an instance of an unreported situation that was later revealed and proved serious. It is foolish to ignore such things.
DivemasterDennis

Plus, in my experience the DMs and crew are actively on the lookout for symptoms.

I once pulled some arm / shoulder muscles hanging on a drop line in heavy waves. The boat crested a wave and jerked the line upwards. I was holding on too tight. My mistake. A very sore shoulder resulted. After the dive I iced my shoulder and the DMs were all over me asking about classic DCS symptoms.

I was initially a little annoyed since I knew it was "just" a mechanical muscle injury, but once I realized they were doing a DCS sanity check I thanked them for checking up on me.

Look up the DAN statistics and you will find its very much a problem. I've been bent twice in the kind of diving I do. And after I was out of the water for 45 minutes I knew it was the real deal. DAN was very very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know one diver who insisted on being treated at the chamber because there was numbness in both hands after diving. They found no other symptoms and the numbness went away on its own later. They discovered that her wrist computer and compass were strapped so tight on her arms that they cut off circulation. To this day she swears she was bent.

Being common is a hard thing to quantify, but I'm sure it happens more frequently than it should - much like heart attack symptoms can be brushed off as simple muscle pain or heartburn. I suppose financial burden concerns could be an issue too if the diver does not have DAN or medical coverage. I wonder if the lady who insisted on being treated in the chamber had to pay hefty out of pocket expenses after no symptoms were found.

I have been bent once (skin bends). After a few days of particularly aggressive dives, after one morning dive I felt a sensation akin to a prickly sunburn between my shoulder blades & while loading cylinders, I also had a very sudden, complete exhaustion come over me. It took me 20 minutes before I could even get enough energy to move. No other symptoms. Come to find out a little later (dark urine) that I had become dehydrated. I had been trying to maintain my hydration, but the long dives over multiple days & general business kept me from drinking as much as I should have. My buddy saw me recovering fro the exhaution & checked me over (he's a physician). I went back to the rental we were staying in & rested for the rest of the day & got my hydration back in order. My buddy kept a constant watch on me & my symptoms abated after a few hours. I also refrained from diving for 3 days. Should I have sought further medical attention? Possibly, but I felt comfortable with my buddy looking after me. He was ready to seek further action, if it was needed. I did not exactly ignore it. Once the exhaustion hit with the rash between my shoulders, I knew what it was.

I know one diver who insisted on being treated at the chamber because there was numbness in both hands after diving. They found no other symptoms and the numbness went away on its own later. They discovered that her wrist computer and compass were strapped so tight on her arms that they cut off circulation. To this day she swears she was bent.

I might be wrong, but I would assume that a tight strap alone can create a potential risk of DCS, when the blood circulation at the wrist is more effective at depth (suit gets compressed, strap becomes loose and not constricting), and less effective after ascent (suit expands, strap gets tight). I vaguely remember someone posting an experience here on SB of a mild hit they had a while back for this very reason. I don't know if it's a valid diagnosis or just random speculation (but would be curious to hear someone more knowledgeable to chip in).

This also happened to me owing to the over wirst seal used in a drysuit. It was too tight and I felt the numbness in both hands. I was aware of this and loosened them both.after a few minutes, the numbnes disappeared.

Its me again (OW novice). Some of the symptoms of dcs (weakness,joint pain) can easily be attributed to pre existing conditions or fatigue.

How common is it for people after the dive to play down their symptoms ("I'll be ok, its nothing" ) on the boat ride back,

Or the opposite for that matter, someone with a too tight mask or fins asking for oxygen cause they are bent.

Thx
B

Maybe the more useful thing to point out is that DCS is so rare among divers who are not doing something gonzo or "technical" that the vast majority of us recreational divers have never seen it. Of those who have, sure, you can get their anecdotes. But the likelihood that you yourself will be out on a boat and someone will get DCS is pretty low. Some on SB who have thousands of dives or are dive professionals will no doubt have run across DCS incidents. In my own humble diving career, I have never run across a DCS incident or seen anyone complain about something that might be a symptom. If I felt anything that could be a symptom, I darn well would report it immediately to the crew.

Back
Top Bottom