People robbed at gunpoint in cenote dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Break-ins in cave country in MX have been going on, off and on, for all the time I have been diving down there. But armed robbery has been very rare, and to date, to my knowledge, has involved the more remote sites like Angelita. Armed robbery at Tajma Ha, which is a common site for cavern dives, is a very bad omen. Honestly, as much as I love cave diving, and cave diving specifically in Mexico, were reports of incidents like this to become common, I would stop going there. For that reason, I think the Mexican authorities WILL attempt to find the people who did this; the Riviera Maya survives almost totally on tourism, and cavern tours are a significant part of it.

I think you have that right. I have seen speedy execution of justice in events affecting tourists....so fast from event to arrest to conviction that I wonder if they even care if they caught the right guy just so long as they can point at someone and say "case closed".

For that reason, I think the Mexican authorities WILL attempt to find the people who did this; the Riviera Maya survives almost totally on tourism, and cavern tours are a significant part of it.

In general I feel a lot safer in Mexico than in Texas. I don't know if I am in fact safer, but it feels that way. I really hope this incident is an aberration and not the beginning of a trend. I agree that tourism is far too important to the Yucatan government to allow this sort of thing.

Well... Just to be clear, Mexico isn't considered a 3rd world country anymore.

The rate of robberies in Mexico is very high. It's #5 internationally. Compare that to the United States (#18) or Canada (#28) and I think it's clear that tourists would be well advised to be vigilant while travelling in Mexico.

In Mexico's defense, if you compare it internationally for other crimes like assaults (US #7, Mexico #32), murders (neither country in the top 40), rape (US #52, Mexico #70) and kidnapping (mexico #36), then it doesn't strike me as a particularly dangerous place to travel.

Obviously, tourists have to be careful everywhere and no country is crime free but let's keep it in perspective.

R..

IMO it is & my opinion is the only one that counts...........:)......I knew someone would have that comeback----but-----it really is.......

Wow bummer, very sorry to hear about this..... :depressed:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have deleted a number of off topic posts on gun crime that had nothing to do with diving or this incident in particular. I have left a few that were on the edge but at least mentioned Mexico and diving. Please stay on topic

welcome to mexico ......................

Likely to a be a free for all for a while now with El Chapo in the pokey. Until they sort out the hierarchy there I would not want to go. Some think that there are areas that will make the wild west look like a kindergarten until this gets sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom