Performance Freediving Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May also want to check DeeperBlue.net and SpearBoard for more freedivers that have taken classes. LeisurePro has good prices on C4 freedive fins, low volume masks Aqua Lung Micro, etc.

Haven't experienced their course but I have heard nothing but exceptional things about it from those who have experienced it. I will also echo cmburch on the C4 fins at Leisure Pro. You could e-mail or call ahead and get suggestions from those conducting the course/clinic but I think highly of the C4's.

I have never taken a PFI course either but I have taken a course from FIT. I dive with a few people that have been through the PFI course and both FIT and PFI are considered outstanding courses. Almost everyone that takes these courses make dramatic improvements regardless of their prior experience level.

Great advice above about purchasing gear from Leisurepro too. I can’t think of a cheaper place. The C4’s are great fins but they are pricey too. Both C4’s and Cressi Gara’s were popular choices when I took the FIT course.
-Chris

I'm pretty much limited to PFI as it's local for me, they are having workshops here in Vancouver in the fall.

If I decide to go ahead with it I'll ask them what they recommend for gear. The course is really for me to see how serious I am about getting into this...I think it might be serious. I went swimming (just doing laps in a pool) the other day and all I wanted to do was go down.

Well have a good time. I swim laps 1.5 to 2 miles after work a few days a week. All I can think about is either cruising or sprinting, getting out and taking a hot shower, and what I will eat for dinner.:)

I was personally invited by Kirk several years ago to join him for a course near his hometown here in Saskatchewan and could not go.

I teach scuba, but had and still do to some extent enjoy freediving an d want to get back to doing more

I would not hesitate to take a course from Kirk and Mandy...however they have gotten a bit pricey and cost more than I charge for a scuba course.

I believe they will also have gear for purchase at the course.

Go for it !!!!

Ron

I'm pretty much limited to PFI as it's local for me, they are having workshops here in Vancouver in the fall.

If I decide to go ahead with it I'll ask them what they recommend for gear. The course is really for me to see how serious I am about getting into this...I think it might be serious. I went swimming (just doing laps in a pool) the other day and all I wanted to do was go down.

Local is great. One of the best things about these courses is that they have a "PFI Graduates" private forum. You have to complete the class to get on the forum and it will put you in touch with many freedivers in your area. Since the course is in your area I am sure you will be near many other PFI graduates.

By the way, they teach the course on a line. I can see where the line is a great teaching tool for many reasons. The technuiques they teach you will carry over to recreational freediving too but IMO line freediving and recreational freediving are worlds apart. In 30 years of freediving I had never been on a line until my FIT course. I'd go out and try diving the local recreational spots, after completing the course, before deciding whether you like it or not. Just my 2 cents.

I was spearing with a guy Sunday who had taken the course. I was impressed. He was going 60-70 feet and spending some time there. I'd like to take the course myself so if you do, please post more about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom