Peso Exchange Rates and the Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comparing Cozumel taxi drivers to the mafia is ludicrous.

Absolutely. They're more like the Zetas! :D

I'm kidding, Cozumel taxistas are polite, mostly honest, and hard working. Comparing them to criminals is ridiculous. That said, I do think the island would be way better off if there was a bus going up/down Melgar from downtown at least to the cruise ship pier. Less traffic, less noise, cleaner air. But it's not my island.

I am 100% certain that locals can give rides to anyone they want, as long as they are not operating as taxis-for-hire. I don't where anyone would actually think there was a law prohibiting that.

A few posters have recommended exchanging USD for pesos at local banks like the Santander.

Just wanted to mention that banks are no longer exchanging dollars for pesos, unless you have an account there. At least that's the way it was last week when I was there.

It's best to withdraw pesos from an ATM from a MAJOR BANK like Scotia or Banamex, and then pay in pesos. Avoid ATMs that say "Cashola" on the side.

Last edited:
In general I agree however, an entropenour working in a cash business interacting with foreigners that may not have the local currency have been known to work the exchange rate for a better "tip". They are not collecting non-native currency, they are running a lucrative side business of money changing.

I've seen it enough, over the years, in various places that I make sure I have some "local" cash before I leave home. I'm not outraged about the practice, I just side step it.

Bob

the lucrative 'money changing' component is their MAIN business, the 'taxi-driving' is the 'side' business !

That said, I do think the island would be way better off if there was a bus going up/down Melgar from downtown at least to the cruise ship pier. Less traffic, less noise, cleaner air. But it's not my island.
I wonder how well the taxi folks do when so many seem to sit around a lot. I suspect that demand picks up when cruise ships come in but is there a staffing solution that gradually reduces the number of sedan taxis and allows some sedan taxi drivers to operate small buses to accommodate surge demand. Instead of driving 2-4 people from the cruise ship to downtown they could carry a dozen or more. This might reduce the traffic congestion by several vehicles, increase the earnings of the remaining taxi drivers...thus a win-win for all concerned.

I wonder how well the taxi folks do when so many seem to sit around a lot. I suspect that demand picks up when cruise ships come in but is there a staffing solution that gradually reduces the number of sedan taxis and allows some sedan taxi drivers to operate small buses to accommodate surge demand. Instead of driving 2-4 people from the cruise ship to downtown they could carry a dozen or more. This might reduce the traffic congestion by several vehicles, increase the earnings of the remaining taxi drivers...thus a win-win for all concerned.

so for every taxi bus, 3-4 drivers are out of a job? I think that would go down in flames like the water taxi.

Just a quick response to a question I saw posted a couple times here: The CI Banco near our place was exchanging at 15.3:1 as of last Monday, 7/27.

so for every taxi bus, 3-4 drivers are out of a job? I think that would go down in flames like the water taxi.
Voluntary reduction through retirement, finding other jobs, etc. By the same token, why not add 50% more taxi drivers. More jobs is good right? What it does is lowers the income of all other drivers. My plan increases earnings.

Lol, I kept scrolling and scrolling through all the posts figuring eventually SOMEBODY would have answered!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom