Peso Exchange Rates and the Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voluntary reduction through retirement, finding other jobs, etc. By the same token, why not add 50% more taxi drivers. More jobs is good right? What it does is lowers the income of all other drivers. My plan increases earnings.

That sounds very corporate. We aren't downsizing you, we are pushing you into retirement or new opportunities. are we going to buy back the taxi licenses from those we push out?

And I have to agree that if the can line up taxis to cover thousands getting off the boat, they could probably handle the taxis for a few planes at the airport. That being said the few times I have Mayaired into CZM I walked out to the circle! :) Shhh keep it quiet.

And I have to agree that if the can line up taxis to cover thousands getting off the boat, they could probably handle the taxis for a few planes at the airport. That being said the few times I have Mayaired into CZM I walked out to the circle! :) Shhh keep it quiet.
Cancun airport furnishes free luggage carts that can go anywhere on the airport. Great for those of us who carry all out gear on trips, unlike you underwear-only packers. Cozumel won't.

What work? 15 seconds to look up the market, 3 seconds to calculate the spread in my head. It's only work for people who hate the chore of actually using their minds. Me, I enjoy it.

I used the ATM. Near market rate. Easy access. No problem. That is using my mind.

The last time I pulled out Peso's it was from the Banamex ATM in Mega on July 1st. I used a Charles Schwab checking ATM card (0 min deposit, 0 monthly fee, 0 foreign exchange fee and no ATM fees and firewalled from my primary bank and savings account). This morning I looked up my transaction from July 1st and compared it to the Oanda currency exchange data for that date. I pulled out 6K Peso's and was charged $384.30 USD or 15.612 to the Dollar. Per Oanda the average exchange rate for that date was 15.6859 MXN to the Dollar which I feel was extremely fair.I use the CS Visa check card for travel and pre-load it prior to travel so that if it does get hacked the damage is limited.

The last time I pulled out Peso's it was from the Banamex ATM in Mega on July 1st. I used a Charles Schwab checking ATM card (0 min deposit, 0 monthly fee, 0 foreign exchange fee and no ATM fees and firewalled from my primary bank and savings account). This morning I looked up my transaction from July 1st and compared it to the Oanda currency exchange data for that date. I pulled out 6K Peso's and was charged $384.30 USD or 15.612 to the Dollar. Per Oanda the average exchange rate for that date was 15.6859 MXN to the Dollar which I feel was extremely fair.I use the CS Visa check card for travel and pre-load it prior to travel so that if it does get hacked the damage is limited.

Textbook example of the right way to do it.

Seeing that gopbroek pulled out 6K also tells us that he's using Peso's regularly, if not exclusively, (though for some, that's a novel idea), as the Mexican Peso is the legal tender in Mexico.

Textbook example of the right way to do it.

Seeing that gopbroek pulled out 6K also tells us that he's using Peso's regularly, if not exclusively, (though for some, that's a novel idea), as the Mexican Peso is the legal tender in Mexico.

I think you should start a campaign to inform as many people as you can that you're supposed to use pesos in Mexico. You can start with all the Mexicans who quote their prices in US dollars.

I think you should start a campaign to inform as many people as you can that you're supposed to use pesos in Mexico. You can start with all the Mexicans who quote their prices in US dollars.
I've had a hard time finding what the taxi rates in pesos from the cruise piers are. The signs are all in dollars.

The bizarre part to me, is that people need to be informed of that. It should be a given. When prices are quoted in dollars, I ask "How many Pesos"? Not too hard.

I've had a hard time finding what the taxi rates in pesos from the cruise piers are. The signs are all in dollars.

Can't blame them for addressing their audience, can you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom