Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can’t drink all day if you don’t start early
A guy told me how he inhaled flakes of vomit from a reg rental. Apparently, the day prior the customer who used it was seriously hungover and had to feed the fish through the reg. The shop tech apparently didn't clean it out sufficiently. I include that story in the list of reasons I give my students of why you want to own your own regulator assembly.

A guy told me how he inhaled flakes of vomit from a reg rental. Apparently, the day prior the customer who used it was seriously hungover and had to feed the fish through the reg. The shop tech apparently didn't clean it out sufficiently. I include that story in the list of reasons I give my students of why you want to own your own regulator assembly.

Hahaha. Good lesson. I’m big fan of owning own equipment. Especially wetsuit. I pee a few times a dive lol.

My pet peeve is when xpert man explains to me the valve of using a jersey upline. First I haven’t encountered the use of one in 10+ years of technical diving. Second i highly doubt i will ever sign up for such a dive at this point. Have you ever used one? Lol. Thanks xpert man.

My pet peeve is when xpert man explains to me the valve of using a jersey upline. First I haven’t encountered the use of one in 10+ years of technical diving. Second i highly doubt i will ever sign up for such a dive at this point. Have you ever used one? Lol. Thanks xpert man.
Is that the same as a "lazy shot" line; where everyone goes up that line with the last person disconnecting it so you all float off in the current together during deco? There's often a trapeze at 6m/20ft and 9m/30ft so you can spread out.

If so, yes, they're used a lot but only for deeper dives with long decompression hangs.

Wouldn't be used for shallow dives where the shot line would be fine for the few minutes of ascent and a short safety/decompression stop.

It costs too much money to take a dive trip to somewhere warm and fun 10 times a year?
:cool:
That was going to be my answer. I have fun no doubt, but the dives I want to do regularly are rather pricy.

I can only really "fun" dive about every 2 weeks, and only on my dive-buddy's schedule because he has a boat. The only "fun" dives locally, are treasure-dives, which generally require a boat to access. So I'm stuck on his schedule. Or buying a boat, which comes with lots of expenses.

Solo hostile operators.

Thankfully where I dive there's plenty of dive boats who allow independent diving. It's just annoying to discover one that's solo hostile and thus won't get my business.
Right, or pretty much anyone who immediately reacts/responds "you're going to die" towards solo-divers. Sure, there are ways to be reckless diving, but I'm always diving with redundant air, buoyancy, cutting devices, and more. Any buddy-diving tends to ruin my dives, because visibility sucks locally and you have to baby-sit your buddy to not lose them.

[Solo hostile]
Right, or pretty much anyone who immediately reacts/responds "you're going to die" towards solo-divers. Sure, there are ways to be reckless diving, but I'm always diving with redundant air, buoyancy, cutting devices, and more. Any buddy-diving tends to ruin my dives, because visibility sucks locally and you have to baby-sit your buddy to not lose them.
It's the difference between the technical risk identification and mitigation approach compared with the recreational dogma which causes this.

At the end of the day, diving in poor visibility and around wrecks is pretty much always a solo dive, or self reliant if you must. The only dogma about solo diving is "don't be that idiot" and if you are, make sure you've the right kit and skills to extricate yourself.

I would like to do more solo diving. I am certified and dive with an alternate gas supply. My wife hates the idea of it. I tell her I'm trained and have the right equipment for it explaining that I solo with a redundant gas supply and regs. She says "And do you also have a redundant heart and a redundant body?" She has a point. The greatest asset a buddy provides is not in just providing gas but in the ability to get you to the surface if you are incapacitated. While we can take appropriate measures to ensure our fitness, we can't rule out a medical event. Being an older diver it is a question that will bear more on my conscience as time goes on.

I’d be rich if I had a quarter for every time a recreational warm water diver told me I was going to die for:

Using a drysuit
Diving cold water
Cave diving
Moving to CCR

They don’t get the concept of intensive training mitigating the risks and there are rules to follow. 🤦‍♀️
I wish I had a quarter for every time a cold water diver told me I wasn’t a ‘real’ diver, that I needed to buy a dry suit and dive wrecks In cold water.
I wouldn't be rich, but I’d get another nice tropical vacation. :cool:

I wish I had a quarter for every time a cold water diver told me I wasn’t a ‘real’ diver, that I needed to buy a dry suit and dive wrecks In cold water.
I wouldn't be rich, but I’d get another nice tropical vacation. :cool:
My favorites are the once a year vacation divers who think they’re the shitz.

Back
Top Bottom