Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at the mask page from Dive Gear Express: Masks - Standard

Note the following instructions:
Don't use toothpaste as an abrasive cleaner on modern dive masks, especially those masks that have optical quality ultra-clear glass lenses, vision correction lenses or 'optical coatings' on the lenses. You will either damage the lenses, or needlessly waste toothpaste since most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive. The same goes for using a lighter to 'burn' the lens to prepare a new mask. Dive Gear Express will not warranty masks that have been treated with abrasives or burned with lighters.
Most new dive masks do have mold release agents in the flexible skirt that during storage will migrate to the surface of the lens and cause fogging. These deposits can be safely removed with an extra application of a powerful surfactant like liquid dish soap, baby shampoo, SeaQuick or SeaDrops defog.​

I purchased a TUSA mask a few years ago, and I barely did anything to it before using it. It has never fogged.
When all three of my freediving masks fogged on my trip to the St. Lawrence River a couple of weeks ago, I bought J&J's baby shampoo because of the recent mask defog thread, and it worked like a charm. I had a Beuchat, Mares, and Cressi from ancient history all fog on my first scuba dive. The freediving masks have split windows, unlike my Halcyon and ScubaPro masks. I taped over the right windows due to the eye issue.

I decided to go with the brand name baby shampoo just in case it was "the good stuff." Zero issues after that. As you can imagine in 40 years, I've probably used every defog product out there from fire, to spit, to scrub, to all the gimmicks just based on what sample was handed to me and was at the ready. I've used shampoo and dishwashing detergent as well. But, I've got to say that I may now just stick with the J&J baby shampoo.

When all three of my freediving masks fogged on my trip to the St. Lawrence River a couple of weeks ago, I bought J&J's baby shampoo because of the recent mask defog thread, and it worked like a charm. I had a Beuchat, Mares, and Cressi from ancient history all fog on my first scuba dive. The freediving masks have split windows, unlike my Halcyon and ScubaPro masks. I taped over the right windows due to the eye issue.

I decided to go with the brand name baby shampoo just in case it was "the good stuff." Zero issues after that. As you can imagine in 40 years, I've probably used every defog product out there from fire, to spit, to scrub, to all the gimmicks just based on what sample was handed to me and was at the ready. I've used shampoo and dishwashing detergent as well. But, I've got to say that I may now just stick with the J&J baby shampoo.
I've always used the cheapest no name baby shampoo. Same results.

facemasks should come dive-ready right out of the box
I wish that was true also.
I use this X4 times and whatever suits your fancy after that for defog.
And no, I don't have shares in the company, just works.
Gear-Aid-Sea-Buff-Dive-Mask-and-Slate-Cleaner-Drops.jpg

It's a little Psssst sound. Unless you ear's right next to it it shouldn't hurt. There are way louder things-- perhaps it's just an annoying sound? I mean seriously, if it really hurts you may want to see an ENT. Maybe it doesn't bother me because I'm used to all that noise teaching Band....
Just hold a towel over the post when you open it and nobody will get butt hurt.
I’ve worked in all sorts of shop environments from body shops in the body and paint departments - air tools - grinders - blowing stuff off all the time, welding shops, fabrication shops, ship yards, etc.
Some of you snowflakes that can’t handle a little pssst from a momentary valve blow out sure the hell wouldn’t be able to handle a real working man’s environment, that’s for damn sure!

Just hold a towel over the post when you open it and nobody will get butt hurt.
I’ve worked in all sorts of shop environments from body shops in the body and paint departments - air tools - grinders - blowing stuff off all the time, welding shops, fabrication shops, ship yards, etc.
Some of you snowflakes that can’t handle a little pssst from a momentary valve blow out sure the hell wouldn’t be able to handle a real working man’s environment, that’s for damn sure!
Thank you as that's what I was trying to say back there.

You are talking to someone who was there. You were not. If you think repeatedly kicking up sand on a photographer's subject (one the photographer discovered) after barging in before the photographer has even shot a single frame is acceptable behavior, I hope I never find myself on a dive boat in your presence. Your brain is your camera. Congratulations. My camera is my camera and I use my brain to operate it. I find great joy in capturing scenes and subjects I find pleasing to my eyes. I am no better than you for it and you are no better than me because you choose to dive without a camera. I too cringe at every member of an audience feeling like they need to record every moment of an event. That is not the same thing. My bet is you have spent plenty of time admiring underwater photographs/videos. For that, you can thank all those who carry cameras and learn how to use them effectively.

My comment about the quality of his camera was only a reflection of the anger I felt towards this incredibly rude man from Brazil. I have seen some really great images come out of a compact camera in the hands of one who knows how to use it and I, on occasion, carry a ****** little camera. I really don't care what kind of camera a diver carries as long as they are respectful of everyone's fair share of time... which also applies to photographers allowing those without cameras their fair share of observing a subject. For someone who claims to just enjoy the dive, you seem to dedicate plenty of the diving experience to being annoyed by those who cannot just "enjoy the experience" because they carry a camera.

P.S. If you really think I was in the wrong, you should talk to the many guides at Atlantis Dumaguete who were all shaking their heads in disbelief watching this guy's behavior throughout the course of the week.

I troll photographers all the time man. Always ask if they saw/captured on film rare fish (in that area) or octopuss/ anything cool that could be in the area and claim I saw it. Always mess with them In a safe manner, as safety is number one priority and I hope we can find agreement there. Do I go outta my way to mess with photographers, no. I’ve been on dives where they try and scootch you outta way and stay too long on a specific spot. All because you “found” something doesn’t make it yours to hover over the entire dive if someone else wants to take a peak. That is common courtesy. Does that rule of yours apply to wrecks? What size does an object have to be for you to claim it as your own subject.

Clearly I wasn’t there and it’s possible the guy was a terrible diver who kept bumping you and stirring up the bottom. Which makes these comments moot and pointless. Let’s just be nicer to eachother and have enjoyable safe dives and let everyone take peek. Not one diver is better than the other or has a more right of claim to view the ocean as long as their training permits.

There’s a certain air that diving photographers have about them where they believe the ocean is theirs and everyone else is a nuisance. I gathered that from your post, specifically belittling a guys camera because it wasn’t as high tech as yours and claiming to have “found” a subject so the other guy had no business in trying to take a picture for himself.

My comments on camera and my brain being my picture taker was more a reflection on our current culture where everything MUST be filmed and posted to social media for likes and clout.

I’ll stir it up, photographers make the worst dive instabuddy’s. Agree or disagree?

I once had an extremely enjoyable dive when I was the only no-photographer on the boat, and that was a unique situation. It was in Cozumel, and I was diving with an operator that had a lot of boats and claimed to be able to divide divers by ability. The day before they had screwed up royally and put a brand new, first dive diver on our boat, and I (of course) was buddied with him. Trying to make up for it the next day (and it really had been bad for me), they told me they had a boat with 4 highly skilled divers, but they were all photographers. I agreed to go.

The DM talked to me privately and said the situation was such that he would not actually be leading the dive and was only there because it was required by law. He was just going to hang around and watch the photographers do their thing. I was OK with that. On the first dive, we encountered that rare Cozumel dive on Palancar Gardens with almost no current, and the photographers happily scattered over the reef. I was just hanging out myself, and the DM, seeing I was reasonably skilled, signalled me to follow him. He took me on a tour of Palancar Gardens (a very popular site) such that I am sure only the DMs know about. We squeezed through tight swim throughs and, in short, had one of my best Cozumel dives ever, coming back to the photographers about the time they were ready to move on themselves.

I use a lot of power tools, but I use ear protection so I don't wind up almost deaf like my dad.

I don't wear ear protection on dive boats. Maybe I should.....

Back
Top Bottom